Distribution box and surge protection

Negita43

About 6 or 7 years ago I built (supervised mostly) a house here. This forum was very helpful for me when I wanted to purchase a distribution board. In the end I bought a CEO fully loaded box and a separate box for the aircon (as advised). The main box had “surge protection” and was installed by a competent (as far as I could tell) Thai electrician.

A couple years after, the surge protection part failed (or I guess I should say succeeded). I had an extremely difficult time trying to get a replacement (in the end a very kind lady at Globalhouse where I bought the original unit took one out of a display unit and gave it to me).

Fast forward to now - I had been stuck in the UK for 2 years due to you know what and managed to get back early December – as you might imagine there are quite a few jobs to be done in the house, one of which was replacing some LED downlighters.

Before starting that job I went to the distribution box to switch off the relevant circuit and saw that the mcb next to the surge protector had tripped – I switched it back on and smoke started pouring out of the mcb – of course I switched it off.

When I asked my girlfriend about it she said that about 6 months ago there was a big bang (in the area not the house - we are less than 1 km from a fairly large substation) and it happened then.

Anyway I have tried to replace the surge protector without success – Global no longer appear to stock this make of distribution box and want to sell me a new box of a different make!

At this moment I’m not keen to do that as it will involve a lot of expense and probably shortening/lengthening tails.

So some questions:

1.       Does anyone know where I can get a new surge protector to fit (the simplest solution)

2.       The house hasn’t burned down in the 6 or so months that the mcb next to protector has been switched off BUT what will happen if we have another surge? AND any way I don’t like having something not functioning as it should.

3.       So if I can’t replace it and I don’t want it to operate with surge protector not functioning  by virtue of the switched off mcb what can I do with the existing installation to ensure that the failed surge protector (and mcb) are not likely to cause any problems?

I attach some photos of the box and the wiring if it is of any help.

Thanks

IMG20211218144405.thumb.jpg.bf95918cf38469f3b80b85ae57c7d9c2.jpg

IMG20211227131924.jpg

IMG20211229155212.jpg

IMG20211229155221.jpg

Those MOV cartridges (the yellow bit just pulls out of the DIN holder) appear to be a standard size, but similar complete units are readily available on Lazada.

Just get one of similar spec.

Something like this would do the trick https://www.lazada.co.th/products/spd-ac-ct-electric-surge-protective-device-i2245428623-s7504009706.html?

1 minute ago, Negita43 said:

Thanks Crossy - one more Q -  I will also replace the tripped mcb - the global man offered me a replacement mcb but mine says B16  - the one he offered says C16 is that significant?

For your application, no, a B or C would be fine. "C" curve units are relatively slow tripping to take account of motor start surges.

27 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Should the surge protector not be at the start of the chain, ie right after the main switch.

They should really, but having them even at the less than optimal location, is far better than having nothing.

• Like 1