US Customs returning ENTIRE Shipment of Christmas gifts I sent from Thailand because one item was "lemongrass". Can I do anything to prevent this?

WaveHunter

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Bottom line, Customs seems to work in strange and mysterious ways ????

So do shipping companies - had one claim Thai customs holding and special processing required on date it was due here - this when package did not even departed Europe airport until several days later.   Rate them several steps below lawyers.

Anyhow good news on your package and expect will not be a problem - being in commercial package likely helps.

to send any plant material to the US you need a phytosantary certificate(unless commercially packaged and on the allowed list), while lemon grass maybe ok to send along with other plant material you still have to have the phyto or it can be rejected, in some cases you also need an import permit to get it into the US

Edited by seajae

25 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So do shipping companies - had one claim Thai customs holding and special processing required on date it was due here - this when package did not even departed Europe airport until several days later.   Rate them several steps below lawyers.

Anyhow good news on your package and expect will not be a problem - being in commercial package likely helps.

Actually my shipment was not commercial.  I used a Thai shipping company called Fast Ship.  They do commercial shipments but they also handle consumer shipping as well.  I have to say I'm not too pleased with them.  Although they were very friendly, they totally screwed up in their inspection of my package prior to shipping since they should have been aware that lemongrass and kaffir leaves were "officially" prohibited.  Instead, they told me that my Chinese New Year Cookies were prohibited because egg yolk was an ingredient, and when I mentioned this to the US Customs officer on the phone, he just chuckled and said, "maybe they were just hungry and wanted a snack... (at my expense)" 

1 minute ago, seajae said:

to send any plant material to the US you need a phytosantary certificate, while lemon grass maybe ok to send along with other plant material you still have to have the phyto or it will be rejected, in some cases you also need an import permit to get it into the US

I don't think that's really true if the "food items" are dried spices since the official regulations specifically say they are OK without any special requirements.

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I don't think that's really true if the "food items" are dried spices since the official regulations specifically say they are OK without any special requirements.

if they are commercially packaged and on the allowed list they are ok but if they are natural they can be rejected, my wife sends seeds/plant material worldwide and everything going to the US needs a phyto included or it is rejected, over a certain quantity and an import permit is required by the buyer

Edited by seajae

2 minutes ago, seajae said:

if they are commercially packaged and on the allowed list they are ok but if they are natural they can be rejected, my wife sends seeds/plant material worldwide and everything going to the US needs a phyto included or it is rejected, over a certain quantity and an import permit is required by the buyer

I agree with that.  ALl of the items I sent were dried spices that were commercially prepared and in hermetically sealed pouches.  I think that what really caused my problems this time is that my Thai shipping company poorly worded the shipping manifest leading FedEx to believe that the lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves were "live" so FedEx (not Customs) made the assumption that my package would be returned.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Actually my shipment was not commercial.  I used a Thai shipping company called Fast Ship.

But you said it was transported by FedEx - that is the shipping company - and it was them that said had to be returned - on your dime (cost)?

53 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

But you said it was transported by FedEx - that is the shipping company - and it was them that said had to be returned - on your dime (cost)?

It's a little confusing I guess but my shipper was FastShip and THEY contracted with FedEx to make the shipment.  Basically they send Kerry out to me to pick up package, bring it to them, and then they inspect it and have FedEx pick it up at their office.  Once it is in FedEx's hands then I must deal directly with FedEx (and so I guess at that point, FedEx then becomes my shipper of record).

Edited by WaveHunter

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

It's a little confusing I guess but my shipper was FastShip and THEY contracted with FedEx to make the shipment.  Basically they send Kerry out to me to pick up package, bring it to them, and then they inspect it and have FedEx pick it up.  Once it is in FedEx's hands then I must deal directly with FedEx (and so I guess at that point, FedEx is now my shipper)

Indeed and you could have just given to FedEx directly at office in Chonburi or arranged for them to pickup so FastShip seems to have just been an agent to review and forward. 

55 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed and you could have just given to FedEx directly at office in Chonburi or arranged for them to pickup so FastShip seems to have just been an agent to review and forward. 

Yes but FastShip was far cheaper than what FedEx quoted so I guess they get some sort of volume discount.  Nonetheless, next time I will go directly with FedEx since the service from FastShip was not the best, and they held the package for 2 days before they arranged the FedEx pickup.