choosing mobile service provider?

World Traveller2

As in every country (?) it is complicated, and often close to impossible to make 'apples with apples' comparisons between companies because the features and pricing are obscure. To me anyway.

At PPN outdoor kiosks after exiting secure sites Smart airport seems to have a better deal, albeit similar to Cellcard.

I will probably end up using whichever has the best uocountry reception, since I will be in some non-urban areas. Second major factor is which company do most Khmers use (to keep call debits minimal)?

Opinions please!

Here is my perfunctory assessment based on what I was told at airport kiosks. Keep in mind that they focus on tourist cards. Buying in city from HQ will have more choices...

Metphone

$10

- 100 GGB

- Call: for another $2 get 30 minute credit

- Language pronlems with staff

CCellcard

- many options
- Free calls to same network. Calling other networks costs 8 cents per minute, maximum length 5 minutes.

- 8 GB $8 but 50 GB only $10!

Smart

-Spend $8 and you get $3333 credit. I triple checked this.

- 8 GB
- Calls0.06 per minute
- Texts 0.01

Problems I had three years ago with Cambodian cell service companies were nothing to do with price (data is cheaper than Thailand and a lot cheaper than Canada and Turkey) were call drops, spam texts (from company itself) and inability to get messages from company in English  I forget what company it was, but despite being told it had been changed, I kept getting everything in Khmer.

Edited by World Traveller2

Local businessman recmmended I get Cellcard for capital use ( too many dropped calls in countryside - get Metfone for domestic travels) bevayse most popular service with businessmen and therefore free same network calls. But what I forgot to clarify is what network is most popular with lower market users (tuk tuk drivers etc).

In any case, he said that every Cambodian businessman has two or even three SIMS!

I signed up for Cellcard at HQ on Sihanouk where they fouled up. Also, we all (customers of every network) get to hear COVID.-related public service announcements every time we get a non-connectable. And we can't turn them off. This is what happens when you have laws. Sorry, this is the anarchist in me coming out. Conservative countries like Cambodia and Singapore (effectively all of Asia) get on my nerves sometimes.