What a Very Nice Surprise.

NoshowJones

Not being the most computer literate, I took my headset and laptop to my local dealer to get Bluetooth on it, I am now using that same headset on my desktop and laptop.

My headset only lasted about 3 hours before needing recharged, now it is lasting a few hours, and the volume is also much louder.

Anyone know how that is? I cannot ask the dealer as his English is almost non existent. Thanks.

• Haha 1

No idea, maybe you did something wrong as volume is not set in a headset but in your computer.

As for the charging, unless you use another charger the only explanation is a sleep mode when not used. Otherwise, i have no clue. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

No idea, maybe you did something wrong as volume is not set in a headset but in your computer.

As for the charging, unless you use another charger the only explanation is a sleep mode when not used. Otherwise, i have no clue.  

"as volume is not set in a headset but in your computer". Maybe the dealer has fixed the volume in some way on the computer, but I think there is a sort of volume control on the headset an + and -. I have tried that a few times, but makes no difference.

But definitely no sleep mode.

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Could be any number of reasons.

Did he fit a blue tooth dongle to the laptop?

Update to a later version of Bluetooth?

Repair a loose connection?

Turn up the volume in settings on your laptop?

Yes, the reasons could be there, though I'm not sure about a Bluetooth dongle.

He did the job in less than 5 mins. Thanks.

9 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Could be any number of reasons.

Did he fit a blue tooth dongle to the laptop?

Update to a later version of Bluetooth?

Repair a loose connection?

Turn up the volume in settings on your laptop?

How would a new version of bluetooth or dongle save energy in the headset itself ?. It might improve range and quality but not so sure it would improve battery life of the headset.

1 minute ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Your headset must be a certain brand with a model number?

Just punch that info in on YouTube search.

My headset is about three years old, so don't have the package. Oh! Sorry, it is almost hidden, I will try YouTube. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I took my headset and laptop to my local dealer to get Bluetooth on it, I am now using that same headset on my desktop and laptop.

Curious why you need both a desktop and laptop and why you need wireless headphones.  

My laptop and phone is all I use and always while within a couple feet so wired headphones work fine and I can take them with me easily in my shorts pocket... never need charging 555

Am older and gave up desktop when I retired BTW.  

2 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Curious why you need both a desktop and laptop and why you need wireless headphones.  

My laptop and phone is all I use and always while within a couple feet so wired headphones work fine and I can take them with me easily in my shorts pocket... never need charging 555

Because wireless gives you freedom of movement. I don't use wired headphones either. So old school.

I only use my desktop as its far more powerful then my laptop. Will take the laptop when i travel. That is what they are for.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, robblok said:

How would a new version of bluetooth or dongle save energy in the headset itself ?. It might improve range and quality but not so sure it would improve battery life of the headset.

It was just a suggestion.

The OP didn't say if his laptop already had built in Bluetooth capabilities. If the tech just connected a Bluetooth dongle using version 5, or updated existing Bluetooth from Version 4 to Version 5, it might have accounted for his longer battery life.

From https://www.dignited.com/23114/bluetooth-5-vs-bluetooth-4/

The Bluetooth 5 has been formulated to use less power on your device compared to the Bluetooth 4. That means you can keep your Bluetooth switched on for a longer period of time and do much more compared to Bluetooth 4 which consumes more power than its newer counterpart.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

It's not really what you need, more like what you want, I felt the exact same as you. Bluetooth is much more clearer than plugging in wires.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, phetphet said:

It was just a suggestion.

The OP didn't say if his laptop already had built in Bluetooth capabilities. If the tech just connected a Bluetooth dongle using version 5, or updated existing Bluetooth from Version 4 to Version 5, it might have accounted for his longer battery life.

From https://www.dignited.com/23114/bluetooth-5-vs-bluetooth-4/

The Bluetooth 5 has been formulated to use less power on your device compared to the Bluetooth 4. That means you can keep your Bluetooth switched on for a longer period of time and do much more compared to Bluetooth 4 which consumes more power than its newer counterpart.

I understand but would that not be on the laptop or phone side, not the headphones side. I was not attacking you just wondering because I don't see that logic. 

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Because ol' Poss likes to jive to his music.....????

Laptops are for trendy folk who hang out in Starbucks...????

I don't think you jive to country music Trans, and as a non coffee drinker, why should I go to such an overpriced place as Starbucks?

• Haha 1

For me the advantage of bluetooth is no wires and you can actually do some exercise (if you got sweat proof ones) and keep your phone safely away. 

Its just about preference, some people like minimalist like old scallywag others spend some money on it. 

Some like drinking beer others don't, people are different. What one likes and spend his or her money on can be totally different then what others do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

I understand but would that not be on the laptop or phone side, not the headphones side. I was not attacking you just wondering because I don't see that logic. 

It's OK. I didn't think you were attacking me. 

If the OP's headset is running BT V.5, but his laptop is V.4 or lower, then the headphones will adjust to the lower version as V.5 is backwards compatible. Any update of the laptop to V.5 would allow lower power consumption.

If an older headset, then I don't know.

For the volume increase, I still think the technician just turned up the volume somewhere

8 minutes ago, transam said:

Set the headset volume to near minimum and adjust from the PC/LT, see what happens..????

My headsets volume control does not work, and never has, no matter how long

I press the + or -

I have the volumes etc set to what I want, and it is always set to the max, and control with my mouse.

Some movies and TV shows are down at 70, and the odd 1 or 2 is way up at 160.

Just now, phetphet said:

It's OK. I didn't think you were attacking me. 

If the OP's headset is running BT V.5, but his laptop is V.4 or lower, then the headphones will adjust to the lower version as V.5 is backwards compatible. Any update of the laptop to V.5 would allow lower power consumption.

If an older headset, then I don't know.

For the volume increase, I still think the technician just turned up the volume somewhere

I agree about the volume, you could be right about the bluetooth version. I did not take into consideration that the headphones might actually be able to use a higher version than was available. Then yes a change would affect them too. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

For me the advantage of bluetooth is no wires and you can actually do some exercise (if you got sweat proof ones) and keep your phone safely away. 

Its just about preference, some people like minimalist like old scallywag others spend some money on it. 

Some like drinking beer others don't, people are different. What one likes and spend his or her money on can be totally different then what others do. 

I find each has their place.

I prefer to take a pair of wired earphones (Not bulky headphones. Tiny Klipsch x12i's) with me on long flights back to Europe. Plug into my iPad and no worries about recharging. I still have my Airpods in my pocket for walking around. Just my preference.

Just now, phetphet said:

I prefer to take a pair of wired earphones (Not bulky headphones. Tiny Klipsch x12i's) with me on long flights back to Europe. Plug into my iPad and no worries about recharging. I still have my Airpods in my pocket for walking around. Just my preference.

For sure each has their place and its a matter of preference. If on a plane for a long time then wired is ok not like your going to move much. However if your exercising or moving around then wireless is better. 

Behind my PC i like wireless as it makes calls easier. Got 3 big screens and most cables are just not long enough to give me enough freedom of movement. Otherwise i might have used it. Now i can just walk off to the kitchen to get something during a call nobody is the wiser. Can move the fan around or whatever I don't h ave to sit still for half an hour or so. 

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Maybe the more expensive ear phones might be handier for traveling.

Where did you get these Tiny Klipsch x12i's) and how much do they cost? Are they suitable for listening to music on your smartphone?

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe the more expensive ear phones might be handier for traveling.

Where did you get these Tiny Klipsch x12i's) and how much do they cost? Are they suitable for listening to music on your smartphone?

Great for listening to music on phone. They also have a microphone and controls on the cable for answering calls. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, or I would buy myself another pair.

Klipsch themselves seem to have gone down the wireless route as their website doesn't show any wired in ear phones. Only wireless.

Might be possible to find the occasional x10i, x11i, or x12i, or even x20i on ebay, but silly prices I think.

For a cheaper alternative, have a look at the KZ earphones on Lazada 

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/kz-official-store/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.11257f6dYbyvPL&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_sis&sis_suggestion_click=KZ Flagship Store%2CKZ&sugg=KZ_0_1

I have the KZ ZS10. Not bad for the price.

Or have a read here before looking on Aliexpress:

https://bestchineseproducts.com/best-chinese-headphones-and-earphones/

HTH

40 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Great for listening to music on phone. They also have a microphone and controls on the cable for answering calls. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore, or I would buy myself another pair.

Klipsch themselves seem to have gone down the wireless route as their website doesn't show any wired in ear phones. Only wireless.

Might be possible to find the occasional x10i, x11i, or x12i, or even x20i on ebay, but silly prices I think.

For a cheaper alternative, have a look at the KZ earphones on Lazada 

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop/kz-official-store/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.11257f6dYbyvPL&_keyori=ss&from=suggest_sis&sis_suggestion_click=KZ Flagship Store%2CKZ&sugg=KZ_0_1

I have the KZ ZS10. Not bad for the price.

Or have a read here before looking on Aliexpress:

https://bestchineseproducts.com/best-chinese-headphones-and-earphones/

HTH

Thanks, I bought the KZ ZS10. It is only for music on my smartphone.