US Visitor Visa For Thai Wife

No recent threads and none that address this so...My wife started the application process to get a visa to go with me to the states to visit my mother. She enlisted the assistance of a company that helps steer her through all the forms with Thai translations to help her understand them better.

She's had the same job for 30+ years and has recently obtained her professorship. (yes, she's a uni professor now teaching political law). We (she) owns 2 houses and a condo and has all the paperwork for those. We have all our marriage paperwork. We've both had 2 shots and will have the booster before her interview.

My question is concerning the 200k THB in the bank in her name that the company says she needs to show at the interview. She doesn't have it but I can move it for her. After 22 yrs in Thailand and 17 yrs of marriage I trust her but not a Thai company, especially when it comes to money.

Is this truly a requirement by the US embassy or is this visa company setting her up for a "scam"? Some sort of last minute "There's an issue but we can clear it up for $xxx"?

Her appointment for the interview WAS Oct. this yr but got bumped a couple of weeks ago to Feb. this yr.

Not sure if it is require, But the money will be going into your wife's account, so I don't see how the Visa company could profit from it.  The question should be, Do the funds need to be seasoned, in other words do they need to be in the account for a length of time?

The visa company should be able to answer that.  

4 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Not sure if it is require, But the money will be going into your wife's account, so I don't see how the Visa company could profit from it.  The question should be, Do the funds need to be seasoned, in other words do they need to be in the account for a length of time?

If I'm understanding her translation of what they told her, the funds need to be there for a 1 month statement to be generated along with updated passbook (bankbook).

Yes, the funds will be in her account BUT Thais are very gullible to scams. Especially from other Thais.

3 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

If I'm understanding her translation of what they told her, the funds need to be there for a 1 month statement to be generated along with updated passbook (bankbook).

Yes, the funds will be in her account BUT Thais are very gullible to scams. Especially from other Thais.

I would not be to concerned,

Your wife sounds like a well educated smart lady, if she is an expert on political law, I am sure she knows how to protect herself. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sirineou said:

Not sure either but I transferred 10K US to my girlfriends account a week prior to interview and there were no issues. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nino3 said:

Not sure either but I transferred 10K US to my girlfriends account a week prior to interview and there were no issues. 

Yea I don't think it would be an issue also. I think all they want is to see that she has sufficient funds available to her so that she would not become a burden to the US when she us there. 

The most important variable IMO is that she convinces the US immigration office conducting the interview, that she has compelling reasons to return.to Thailand. 

The OP's wife , given her employment situation should have no problem.   

7 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Yea I don't think it would be an issue also. I think all they want is to see that she has sufficient funds available to her so that she would not become a burden to the US when she us there. 

The most important variable IMO is that she convinces the US immigration office conducting the interview, that she has compelling reasons to return.to Thailand. 

The OP's wife , given her employment situation should have no problem.   

Agree. Convincing the interviewer that she has reason to return is most important. As with my experience many Thais can be very passive so ensure that she knows she must force all the documentation under the interviewers window once she steps up. At times, they make the initial decision from the application alone and don't review all the supporting documentation. This happened to my girlfriend during her first ever interview. 

I spoke at length with a US Border Protection supervisor and he confirmed the consulates/interviewers have quotas to meet. Probability is high of granted/not granted visa status being determined days before an interview.

I've been unlucky enough to have amassed much experience in this matter. My advise, ensure you have a copy of the entire application if a visa company is involved. I've been told some may fudge a bit regarding details and this may affect any future applications if there is conflicting data.

One of the most important factors that the interviewer will want to understand, but which isn't mentioned in any of the documents your wife will need to submit, is whether you have sufficiently strong ties to Thailand to overcome the suspicion that once you both get to the US you will stay.

Things that work in your favor include having a job and work permit or other proof that your ties to Thailand are strong and continuing. The interviewer may ask to see your passport to determine your visa status and how long you've been living here, so make sure she brings it with her to the interview.

When my wife successfully applied for a visa a few years ago, the interviewer showed little interest in my wife's documents, but asked about my status in Thailand, how long I had been here, whether I was working and for whom I worked. No questions about my wife's employment, assets or the like.

Apologies if you are already aware of this. 

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

One of the most important factors that the interviewer will want to understand, but which isn't mentioned in any of the documents your wife will need to submit, is whether you have sufficiently strong ties to Thailand to overcome the suspicion that once you both get to the US you will stay.

Things that work in your favor include having a job and work permit or other proof that your ties to Thailand are strong and continuing. The interviewer may ask to see your passport to determine your visa status and how long you've been living here, so make sure she brings it with her to the interview.

When my wife successfully applied for a visa a few years ago, the interviewer showed little interest in my wife's documents, but asked about my status in Thailand, how long I had been here, whether I was working and for whom I worked. No questions about my wife's employment, assets or the like.

Apologies if you are already aware of this. 

No, I was blissfully ignorant of this until now, thank you very much. ???? I've been here 22 years and we've been married for 17 years. I was forcefully retired in March last year due to covid fears given my age and I officially retired in Oct. I have no close family ties in the states except my mother. We just want to visit her before she dies. In the time I've been here I have only visited the states once for 3 weeks about 9-10 years ago.

12 hours ago, andy said:

There is no requirement to have xxx,xxx baht in the bank for a US tourist visa.  There is no requirement to own property or land.  These are both longstanding myths on this forum.  Tourist visas are case-by-case and may be decided based on the application form alone.  There is a chance other docs may be asked for at the interview, but again, this is case by case.

Local visa companies cannot do anything to get someone a US tourist visa, despite what they may claim.

The company never claimed to be able to get her the visa, just understand how to fill out all the paperwork and set expectations for what may/may not be needed. An agent helping me get a visa to stay here would charge 10-20k (as represented here on the forum. I've never used 1) but this company only charged her 3k. (THB)

Guest Isaanlife

Absolutely 100% NOT a requirement.

The embassy  only want evidence she will return and with that career and all the property it would be no issue what so ever.

4 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

An agent helping me get a visa to stay here would charge 10-20k (as represented here on the forum. I've never used 1) but this company only charged her 3k. (THB)

The application form is not difficult to fill out. I assisted my wife in completing hers and it did not take very long. You might want to take a look at it before you spend upwards of 10,000 baht for someone else to do it.

18 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

The application form is not difficult to fill out. I assisted my wife in completing hers and it did not take very long. You might want to take a look at it before you spend upwards of 10,000 baht for someone else to do it.

It's spent AND it's not 'upwards of" anything. It was 3k THB and no one else is doing it, she is.

Tourist visas for Thai women are at the end of the day a bit of a cr**p shoot.

Years ago we applied for my wife, all I wanted to do was visit my daughter who had just had a baby.

My wife, professional job, money in bank, letter from employer granting her leave, thought we'd checked all the boxes, of course denied.

Of course several years later we applied for an immigrant visa, nothing had changed and it sailed through.

I never attempt to explain the rules or criteria for tourist visas, because I don't think those 'rules' obey any logic