Need To Have A Canon Camera Repaired

tropo

My Canon camera (digital IXUS i) has suddenly started producing photos with horizontal lines and shooting blanks in the sunlight. Surprisingly they video function still works. I've had the camera for almost 3 years.

Before I take the step to buy a new one I'd like to have a go at having it repaired if that is at all possible....or at least have someone knowledgeable give me an opinion on whether or not it will be worth while to undertake repairs rather than buy new. I saw some new Canons in Tukcom going for between 11,000 and 16,000 baht.

Does anyone have any idea where I could go? I was told people in Tukcom (cameral sellers) that there is a Canon service center on Sukhumvit Road many miles to the north. If possible I'd like to find somewhere in Pattaya.

I took my Canon Digital Camera--purchased in Oz--to the Canon Shop in Tuk Com building in Siracha...for repair.

( NOT in Tuk Com Pattaya.)

It took a few weeks, but came back eventually....all done under warranty, which had expired a year or two earlier.

I did not ask for an Under Warranty repair...so it was doubly appreciated.

If by any chance you end up having to buy a new camera, I can really recommend the Canon G7.

It's a bit pricey, but by far and away the best compact digital I have ever seen and is an amazing piece of kit.

Anyone else got one?

If by any chance you end up having to buy a new camera, I can really recommend the Canon G7.

It's a bit pricey, but by far and away the best compact digital I have ever seen and is an amazing piece of kit.

Anyone else got one?

Hi Mobi, I'm actually looking to buy a new camera as it happens and wouldn't mind any details on the G7 camera if you get a chance. Cheers.

Anyone else got one?

Hi Mobi, I'm actually looking to buy a new camera as it happens and wouldn't mind any details on the G7 camera if you get a chance. Cheers.

If you google "canon powershot G7" you will get loads of info. plus independent reviews.

It's the premier compact digital, got a great 'retro' design, with a very good video capability, but costs more than some SLR's.

It has 'hotshoe' attachment for external flash (not that you need it as internal the flash is great), takes auto mode to a new level with it's 'scene selection' and full manual capabality. I used to have problems with my previous digital with night photography, but the G7 takes great night pics, and has a feature that eliminates camera shake at slow shutter speeds.

I could go on, but you will find a whole load more about it in the web reviews.

BTW I bought mine at Emporium, where I got a 1 gig mem card, a tripod, and a lcd protection cover, all thrown in for free, together with a rock bottom price. They are available in Pattaya, but not sure you get all those freebies.

Sorry to differ a bit about the G7, but it doesn't let you shoot in 'raw' format. The latest photoshop lets you process raw shots in such incredible ways that I would loathe to go back to jpeg shooting. For the price of a G7 or perhaps a bit more, you could get a 350D which is an entry-level SLR. It's worth considering.

Sorry to differ a bit about the G7, but it doesn't let you shoot in 'raw' format. The latest photoshop lets you process raw shots in such incredible ways that I would loathe to go back to jpeg shooting. For the price of a G7 or perhaps a bit more, you could get a 350D which is an entry-level SLR. It's worth considering.

I'm not that much of a camera buff that I need to shoot in 'raw' format. I also much prefer the convenience of a compact.

But of course it's horses for courses, and I would defer on this subject to those who have more knowledge than I. :o

The Canon repair centre is in Bangkok. Take it to a branch of Big Camera and they will send it off for an estimate. If you accept the estimate you pay half and then the remainder when the camera is returned.

Takes weeks!

The Canon repair centre is in Bangkok. Take it to a branch of Big Camera and they will send it off for an estimate. If you accept the estimate you pay half and then the remainder when the camera is returned.

Takes weeks!

I really don't want to do 2 trips to BKK. I need to find somewhere local if possible.

BTW I bought mine at Emporium, where I got a 1 gig mem card, a tripod, and a lcd protection cover, all thrown in for free, together with a rock bottom price. They are available in Pattaya, but not sure you get all those freebies.

Please don't keep it a secret...how much are they?

how much are they?

Sorry, one more question about that camera (Canon G7). Could you indicate the approximate dimensions of it. I checked out the info on the Canon website, but I couldn't see info on dimensions. I'm asking you this because I really like a very small camera...it's the most important feature to me.

The camera I'm looking to repair is 88mm x 15mm x 46mm. I really don't want to go any larger than this if possible.

Takes weeks!

I had a Canon video camera break on me in Bangkok several years ago and took it myself to the Canon repair Center in Bangkok (I think its on Wittayu Rd). Initially they didn't want to fix it because they don't sell my model in Thailand but they finally relented and fixed in a day or so for 1100 baht. Still working today, touch wood.

how much are they?

Sorry, one more question about that camera (Canon G7). Could you indicate the approximate dimensions of it. I checked out the info on the Canon website, but I couldn't see info on dimensions. I'm asking you this because I really like a very small camera...it's the most important feature to me.

The camera I'm looking to repair is 88mm x 15mm x 46mm. I really don't want to go any larger than this if possible.

Its larger than you want. 106 x 72 x 43 mm

If your in market for camera a good site for info is: www.dpreview.com

how much are they?

If you're looking for a really small camera, then the G7 is probably too big. However, it does fit easily into my trouser pocket, and also, unusually it come with as strap. The other thing I forgot mention is that as well as having a large lcd screen, it also has a view finder - which I like to use - and which you can adjust to your eyes if you wear glasses.

I saw one in Tukcom and there's also one in the camera shop at Carrefour, so take a looksie.

Whatever you choose - happy shooting! :o

how much are they?

If you're looking for a really small camera, then the G7 is probably too big. However, it does fit easily into my trouser pocket, and also, unusually it come with as strap. The other thing I forgot mention is that as well as having a large lcd screen, it also has a view finder - which I like to use - and which you can adjust to your eyes if you wear glasses.

I saw one in Tukcom and there's also one in the camera shop at Carrefour, so take a looksie.

Whatever you choose - happy shooting! :o

cannon shop 1st floor in panthip plaza fixed my cannon ixus no charge and sent it to samui for me ,great service.

Takes weeks!

I really don't want to do 2 trips to BKK. I need to find somewhere local if possible.

Sorry, my reply was badly worded.

I meant:

1. The only repair centre is in BKK, so:

2. Take you camera to a branch of Big Camera in Pattaya and they will arrange for you

No trips to BKK required!

Takes weeks!

I meant:

2. Take you camera to a branch of Big Camera in Pattaya and they will arrange for you

That sounds like the ticket!

Could you please give me the location of one Big Camera store. I'm at the southern end of Pattaya.

My Canon camera (digital IXUS i) has suddenly started producing photos with horizontal lines and shooting blanks in the sunlight. Surprisingly they video function still works. I've had the camera for almost 3 years.

This is a free warranty repair due to a manufacturing defect.

Here's the link to the official notice from Canon:

Canon Image Phenomenon Notice

Key paragraph:

Phenomenon It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which causes malfunctions such as the image being distorted or not appearing at all. This phenomenon can be confirmed on the LCD monitor display. The same phenomenon also appears on the recorded image.

I had the same thing happen to my camera. It's an older Powershot that I would like to salvage for use as a webcam.

This is a manufacturing defect that they will fix for free, even if it's no longer under warranty.

I just need to find a reputable service outlet here in TH that understands that this is a warranty repair outside of the regular warranty. Maybe someone in BKK can help with that.

Before I take the step to buy a new one I'd like to have a go at having it repaired if that is at all possible....or at least have someone knowledgeable give me an opinion on whether or not it will be worth while to undertake repairs rather than buy new. I saw some new Canons in Tukcom going for between 11,000 and 16,000 baht.

Does anyone have any idea where I could go? I was told people in Tukcom (cameral sellers) that there is a Canon service center on Sukhumvit Road many miles to the north. If possible I'd like to find somewhere in Pattaya.

Ok Trobo,

I have a Canon power shot A80 digital camera that recently went funny on me insofar as the screen went blank and wouldn’t take photos.

I took it into the photo shop on number 2 road opposite Soi 7 and on the corner of the side entrance to the hospital.

It took three days for the repair and cost me 2800 baht.

The shop rang me on the second day with the repair price and I gave them the go-ahead to carry out the repair.

The camera has been fine since.

Takes weeks!

I meant:

That sounds like the ticket!

Could you please give me the location of one Big Camera store. I'm at the southern end of Pattaya.

I think they are in all the big malls. In South Pattaya you can find them in Tuk Com and Royal Garden.

This is a free warranty repair due to a manufacturing defect.

Here's the link to the official notice from Canon:

Canon Image Phenomenon Notice

Key paragraph:

Phenomenon It has been confirmed that the connecting parts of the internal wiring of the CCD used in affected products may become disconnected, especially if the affected products are stored or used in high-temperature and high-humidity environments. If this occurs, the signal is not output from the CCD normally in Shooting Mode, which causes malfunctions such as the image being distorted or not appearing at all. This phenomenon can be confirmed on the LCD monitor display. The same phenomenon also appears on the recorded image.

I had the same thing happen to my camera. It's an older Powershot that I would like to salvage for use as a webcam.

This is a manufacturing defect that they will fix for free, even if it's no longer under warranty.

I just need to find a reputable service outlet here in TH that understands that this is a warranty repair outside of the regular warranty. Maybe someone in BKK can help with that.

This describes my problem exactly although my model number does not appear on their list of afflicted cameras...but close enough maybe. i.e IXUS i

It maybe be difficult to get this free service done unless we visit the Canon service centre in Bangkok. It's obviously a well known problem though as it would seem that at least 3 members on this forum have already experienced it.

Thanks Nan-Thip, I'll go to that camera shop and have a chat with them and take a copy of the Canon free-warranty notice for my problem, although it's probably going to be difficult (impossible) to get the free repair that Canon offers.

PS. I just realised after re-reading the Canon Notice that maybe this is not my problem. I think the problem they refer to is a problem affecting only the LCD display whereas mine affects the actual picture taken and recorded on the media card.

Edited by tropo

I think they are in all the big malls. In South Pattaya you can find them in Tuk Com and Royal Garden.

Thanks Hughden, I just dropped of my camera at the "Big Camera" shop in Big C, 2nd Road.

They charged me 250 baht to have it sent to the service centre in Bangkok and gave me an approximate waiting time of 4 weeks.

I showed the owner the warranty notice from the Canon website, and he said the problem with my camera is probably exactly the same. I might be lucky and have it repaired for free.

Will update here when I find out.

I have an update.

I took my little Canon Ixus i to the Big Camera shop in Big C Mall who sent it off to the Canon service centre in Bangkok.

I just had word back today that the cost for repair will be 4,200 baht, so either the problem was not related to issue mentioned in the Canon newsletter, or they didn't want to acknowledge it.

This camera is almost 3 years old.

I have a question for all you camera buffs:

What would you do if you were in this situation?

A new small Canon will cost me 11,000 or more. Would you fork out 4,200 for repair or just buy a new one?

I bought a state of the art JVC digital Cam corder just over 2 years ago for 20K+. About a year ago, when it was just outside warranty, it developed a fault which wouldn't let me record as every time I tried, I I got the message 'remove lens cap' even though it was already removed.

I Googled extensively on this problem, and found that JVC owners all over the world were up in arms about this fault - particularly as it always happened when the camera was just out of warranty, and the JVC centres charged a fortune to replace the faulty part - which was well known by them to fail. I was told that JVC in Bangkok would charge in the region of 10K to repair it. It is still sitting in my drawer.

My current Canon G7,(20K+) takes excellent video, with good sound, and has a number of useful features, so I no longer require a dedicated video camera.

If I was you, I'd buy a new camera. You never know what may go wrong next, and the technology is getting better all the time.

I bought a state of the art JVC digital Cam corder just over 2 years ago for 20K+. About a year ago, when it was just outside warranty, it developed a fault which wouldn't let me record as every time I tried, I I got the message 'remove lens cap' even though it was already removed.

I Googled extensively on this problem, and found that JVC owners all over the world were up in arms about this fault - particularly as it always happened when the camera was just out of warranty, and the JVC centres charged a fortune to replace the faulty part - which was well known by them to fail. I was told that JVC in Bangkok would charge in the region of 10K to repair it. It is still sitting in my drawer.

My current Canon G7,(20K+) takes excellent video, with good sound, and has a number of useful features, so I no longer require a dedicated video camera.

If I was you, I'd buy a new camera. You never know what may go wrong next, and the technology is getting better all the time.

Yes, it's a tough call, but I fear you may be right. It has put me off Canon in a way, because I bought Canon thinking I was getting a top quality product...and I'm always so gentle with my camera. It's never had a fall, or jar. I'm a person who looks after and likes to keep my stuff for a long time and I expected the Canon to last me a long time. You should see my cell phone. I'm still ploding along with an early 2003 model. I never buy new until my old ones (computers/phones/cameras etc) have finally packed it in...or have been stolen.

JVC has lost my vote too after what you've reported.

After giving the matter some careful thought, I've decided I'll buy a new one. Thanks to all the members who have offered advice.

One more question:

Are cameras much cheaper in the duty free shops at the airport? If it's a big saving, I'll wait till I'm leaving, if it's not, I'll just buy in Pattaya.

I see signs around the place regaring VAT refund for tourists. How does this work? Can it save money on the purchase of cameras?

PS. Mobi, I find it interesting that you have found a video camera to be superfluous because your Canon G7 takes great video. Does it have a light for taking video? I may just be swayed to buy the larger G7 for an excellent video feature.

Edited by tropo