Need To Have A Canon Camera Repaired

tropo

I just put my Canon Rebel XS into the main Canon shop. Two days later they stated the shutter had to be replaced as it could not be repaired, cost 3600 Baht with a 3 month warranty. Next day they call back and say that the lens I have needs to be repaired but that they have discontinued making parts for this lens and so could not be repaired. The guy did say that once the shutter is repaired that I should have no other problems with the camera itself as it's a good solid camera. They say it will take two weeks for the shutter to be fixed as parts only come in from Japan.

I just put my Canon Rebel XS into the main Canon shop. Two days later they stated the shutter had to be replaced as it could not be repaired, cost 3600 Baht with a 3 month warranty. Next day they call back and say that the lens I have needs to be repaired but that they have discontinued making parts for this lens and so could not be repaired. The guy did say that once the shutter is repaired that I should have no other problems with the camera itself as it's a good solid camera. They say it will take two weeks for the shutter to be fixed as parts only come in from Japan.

So what did you do? Did you go ahead with both repairs, or are you considering options?

How old is that camera, and how much did it originally cost?

Are cameras much cheaper in the duty free shops at the airport? If it's a big saving, I'll wait till I'm leaving, if it's not, I'll just buy in Pattaya

It depends on where you're going. This info most likely will be of no use to you, but I know that prices for a Canon camera in the US are about 25-33% lower than in Thailand, and I've heard Japan and Hong Kong are even cheaper (though I have no direct experience of this).

To get low US prices, buy online and get it from a shop out of your state to save sales tax. B&H Photo is cheap, safe and reliable, but you'll get hit for tax if you're in NY, for example.

Just a note for any other person needing to send a cannon for repair,the photo shop on the edge of the roundabout north pattaya can send it for you,the guy there speaks perfect english,and knows where to send most makes of camera to when they have a problem.Its just a few metres lower than the Best supermarket,opens late morning but closes around 11 pm.Ive found them to give an honest/fair service.