Alcohol And Nighttime Urination

tmifune

Hello,

2 weeks ago I decided to end a life long relationship the Alcohol. I am in my late 40's and have more less, routinely been drinking in the evening hours to take the edge off ( my excuse ). But, after migrating from beer to hard liquore, I finally admitted myself that I was dependant on booze. Anyways, its been a great couple of weeks with the wonderful side affects of having a clear head and NO HANG OVER'S!!! But one positive effect that I did not expect was experienceing a full nights sleep with out having to get up and drain the lizard at least once. :o I mean I did 2 nights were I did not get up until I had a full 8hrs of sleep!!! And its not like I don't drink anything. I still compulsively drink, sodas, water, decaf coffee in the evening.

Anyways...has anyone else experienced this after quiting Alcohol? I am curious, as I am trying to find out if there is some other reason for it. Thanks for your answers in advance!

• 4 weeks later...

Alcohol tends to stimulate the prostate gland which causes it to swell and can constrict the flow of urine. The lack of alcohol probably means that the flow is not being "squeezed" and thus no urgency to urinate.

Congratulations on quitting!!

Alcohol tends to stimulate the prostate gland which causes it to swell and can constrict the flow of urine. The lack of alcohol probably means that the flow is not being "squeezed" and thus no urgency to urinate.

Congratulations on quitting!!

Thanks! Just finished 30 days and life is wonderful! :D However, my night time visits to the lu have returned :o So it must have been a fluke or something else that caused the me to get a full 8hrs of sleep in. Oh well, it was nice while it lasted! :D

• 2 months later...

Yeah ThaiPauly I have the same deal. Op, you are lucky for being able to sleep, and also for the fact that when drinking you woke up to piss... this is pretty gross but when I was in the real throes of hardcore alcoholism I always had pissed at night but never woke up... nothin more embarrassing than a 25 yr old wetting his bed. That shit happens to a lot of alkies.

Edited by tycann

• 1 month later...
Oooops! Wrong forum. Could one of the Mod's move this to the "I Drink too much" forum? Thanks!

No problem. I post in the wrong places too, Whereas I pissed in the wrong ones before.

Usually sleep is difficult when off the medicine bottle. I used to pass out and call it sleeping, but awoke when the booze wore off. When I sobered up I found that all the boozing screwed up my sleep. But good on you tmifune, I hope it returns for you!

Edited by ding

• 5 months later...
Me too ... when I stop drinking my sleep is erratic

YIKES

when i am not drinking, i normally drink a pint of Milk ( strawberry Flavour ) before i go to sleep, and i find this works well! if i do not drink milk before i sleep i have the same issue

When I go through my bouts of sobriety, (and I am on one now) I CANNOT sleep

You are a lucky guy tmifume

I have a sleep problem also - I cannot sleep - when I don't drink. I don't know why, because I drink for 3-4 nights per weeks.

When I do not drink I stay awake in bed. For several hours.

Why is this?

OP:

As for urinating at night, many people recomment saw palmetto, which is a natural supplement. They claim it keeps you from having to urinate during sleeping. Saw Palmetto is cheap, so you may want to give it a try.

I have a sleep problem also - I cannot sleep - when I don't drink. I don't know why, because I drink for 3-4 nights per weeks.

Why is this?

OP:

As for urinating at night, many people recomment saw palmetto, which is a natural supplement. They claim it keeps you from having to urinate during sleeping. Saw Palmetto is cheap, so you may want to give it a try.

Because your body is reliable on the stimulants from beer to make you fall asleep, also Cold Turkey may play a part, hence why milk can help.... it worked when you where a baby!....

Why is this?

OP:

Because your body is reliable on the stimulants from beer to make you fall asleep, also Cold Turkey may play a part, hence why milk can help.... it worked when you where a baby!....

Thanks, boater. I might buy some milk tonight, then. Regular 2% or whatever. I'll drink 2 glasses, about 1.5 hours before bed.

My other option - only ocasionally - is to take 7.5 mg of valium.

Edited by Wrong Turn

Why is this?

OP:

Thanks, boater. I might buy some milk tonight, then. Regular 2% or whatever. I'll drink 2 glasses, about 1.5 hours before bed.

My other option - only ocasionally - is to take 7.5 mg of valium. -

This is another option i suppose, but be careful as you could get hooked on taking Valium to sleep...

Why is this?

OP:

This is another option i suppose, but be careful as you could get hooked on taking Valium to sleep...

Agree with you on the valium. I only use the Valium on rare occasion when a big day is ahead, and I need to really get sleep.

Tonight, I bought Milk. Plain milk with no sugar.

You say you drink a pint, right?

A pint is about as big as a big glass of pint beer, so I'll have some milk later tonight, about 1.5 hours before bed.

I've got to get this sleep cycle back to normal. Thanks.

Why is this?

OP:

Agree with you on the valium. I only use the Valium on rare occasion when a big day is ahead, and I need to really get sleep.

Tonight, I bought Milk. Plain milk with no sugar.

You say you drink a pint, right?

A pint is about as big as a big glass of pint beer, so I'll have some milk later tonight, about 1.5 hours before bed.

I've got to get this sleep cycle back to normal. Thanks.

let me know how it goes, i normally drink about 30 Min b4 i go to sleep......

Also you must relax before you go to sleep, IE a movie while drinking milk......

let me know how it goes, i normally drink about 30 Min b4 i go to sleep......

Also you must relax before you go to sleep, IE a movie while drinking milk......

Boater, I just drank a pint of milk. My first time trying milk to sleep when I'm off the beer.

You stated the need to relax. I agree.

Hopefully posting on the forum is enough to relax me and my brain.