Dependant Spouse with Extension to Stay based on Retirement

Hello All

Is there still the option for a dependant spouse to piggy back onto a husbands/wives Extension to Stay? I know the option was available previously but I cannot find any reference on the immigration website apart from dependants of those who are on work visas.

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe. Yes I was. Our problem is my extension has expired while we have been out of LOS so the option for my wife to apply for a non imm o visa ( to visit spouse)at the consulate isn't available. We wanted to avoid having to maintain two lots of 800k in the bank but I guess that will be the easiest and simplest option.

56 minutes ago, daystick said:

Thanks for the reply ubonjoe. Yes I was. Our problem is my extension has expired while we have been out of LOS so the option for my wife to apply for a non imm o visa ( to visit spouse)at the consulate isn't available. We wanted to avoid having to maintain two lots of 800k in the bank but I guess that will be the easiest and simplest option.

You could try getting the non-o visa by her showing the 800k baht to get it based upon retirement and then apply for the extension based upon her being a member of your family. That would eliminate the need for the 800k baht to stay in the bank for 3 months and etc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

I have friends who are a USA foreign married couple, both over 50 years old, with a son under 20 years old, who all want to move to Ubon, Thailand as a "retired family".  

If I understand your comments in this thread correctly, the only monetary requirement to get a Non-O (retirement) visa in the USA is "A copy of recent bank statement  ($700 per person and $1,500 per family)"

(1) Question - are these the valid steps?
  (A) The husband applies for a Non-O (Retirement) showing $700 in USA bank?
  (B) The wife applies for a Non-O (Retirement) showing $700 in USA bank?
  (C) Once in Thailand, the husband puts 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank and obtains his annual extension
  (D) The wife then immediately applies for an annual extension as his wife (no 800,000 needed for her)?

(2) Question - what can be done for getting the son's annual extension?

As always, thank you for being the definitive, correct source of current status on situations like these.

Morris

11 hours ago, mojaco said:

(1) Question - are these the valid steps?
  (A) The husband applies for a Non-O (Retirement) showing $700 in USA bank?
  (B) The wife applies for a Non-O (Retirement) showing $700 in USA bank?
  (C) Once in Thailand, the husband puts 800,000 Baht in a Thai Bank and obtains his annual extension
  (D) The wife then immediately applies for an annual extension as his wife (no 800,000 needed for her)?
(2) Question - what can be done for getting the son's annual extension?

A/B You forgot the 400/40k baht health insurance needed for the non-o visa that needs to be valid for 90 days.

See: https://thaiembdc.org/2020/11/17/nonoretirement/

(C) Yes

(D) That should be possible but it could depend upon the office where she applies. Some might insist she apply for retirement if her visa states it is for retirement.

2. They should issue a non-o visa for being a member of the family.

I suggest they contact the embassy about getting the wife and sona  non-o visas based upon being family of the one applying for retirement At this time it is not shown on their website.