Medical insurance for tourist on extension

LarsBKK

Hi everyone,

I arrived in Thailand on 27th Nov 2021 under Test & Go. I had bought travel insurance at Axa Thailand. I went to immigration to extend my stay for 30 more days which wasn't a problem. Today I tried to extend my insurance at Axa. As the insurance finished on 26th Dec and I did not tell them before the expiry date they can't extend my policy. I also can't buy a new policy at Axa as I am already in Thailand and wouldn't be covered. They have annual health insurances but no insurances for tourists that are already here and "ran out" of their insurance. I googled insurances but so far was not able to find an insurance that allows for me being already in Thailand. Any suggestions?

Almost all off-the-shelf travel insurance policies stipulate that cover be taken out prior to commencement of travel. This holds true for both Thai and foreign insurers. I think your options for travel insurance are few, if any. I'm not aware of any Thai insurers offering medical insurance for less than one year.

I'm 43 years old, German nationality and will stay in Thailand until 26/01/2022. Then I'll go back to Germany. 
I'll check Safety Wings.

I would much prefer a Thai solution as that hopefully would help avoid having to pay first and get reimbursed later in case of COVID hospitalization as Thai insurances will hopefully be accepted in hospitals here as payment. Or am I mistaken believing that?

Edited by LarsBKK

23 hours ago, LarsBKK said:

I'm 43 years old, German nationality and will stay in Thailand until 26/01/2022. Then I'll go back to Germany. 
I'll check Safety Wings.

I would much prefer a Thai solution as that hopefully would help avoid having to pay first and get reimbursed later in case of COVID hospitalization as Thai insurances will hopefully be accepted in hospitals here as payment. Or am I mistaken believing that?

There are many international expat policies that have direct payment arrangements with Thai hospitals.However travel policies usually do not (though if the bill is very high they may make an arrangement).

I do nor know of any Thai policy that you can get for just a few weeks.

Be forewarned though that Safety Wings will cover COVID hospitalization only if medically necessary, not if asymptomatic.