Itchy dry skin.

Golden Triangle

Never suffered before, but all of a sudden for some unknown reason my skin is very dry, very itchy, bordering on driving me crazy, it actually wakes me up in the early hours sometimes, the Dr was next to chuffing useless.

I have been to the Dr, at one one of the expensive hospitals on the Suchamvit (spl) road in Pattaya ???? she told me to use a less harsh soap, so I changed to one called Babi mild, also only have a lukewarm shower, and use loads of moisturiser on my whole body, anyone else got experience of this ? 

Please if you have suffered tell me what you did to make it go away.

Thanks in advance.

Does all your skin itch, everywhere on your body, or just in some areas. Is the dryness caused by scratching? The reason why I'm asking is because an accumulation of bilirubin in your skin can cause intense itching, so severe that you might want to kill yourself (no joke). This is an indication of a liver blockage (cholestasis). Certain types of medicine (drugs) can casue this. Even something as inconspicuous as tylenol can cause it. I've been through this - it was living hell. It is usually accompanied by jaundice, but the itching can start before you notice your eyes and skin turning yellow. A liver function test can quickly eliminate this as a cause. In this case of pruritis, the itch is more intense in certain areas, especially the back of the hands.

• Like 2

Yes.

For years.

Use special soaps.

I've been using turmeric and mangosteen spa bar soap sold at Boots.

You don't really need to soap up your arms, legs, or torso very often.

Some moisturizers make it worse.

Edited by Jingthing

maybe see another doctor if you are not satisfied of the first one. I think causes may be so many...

I have a dermatises at my mustache, neck, scalp and chest area which comes on and off. It causes itchniess and dryness. When it is on, I put a two different creams depending on the sevirity of irritation ; if not very itchy nizoral - if too itchy a cortison cream (or lotion for the scalp) ,elomet, for 3-4 days. 

Agree with above about finding the cause. 

I normally use E45 cream from the UK but due to zero travel between UK & Thailand I've started using Sudocream, you can buy it on Lazada, it's VERY effective against itchy/dry skin, it goes a long way too, and is only mildly lavender scented. 

5 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I had dry and itchy skin for many years mostly my scalp I tried every thing but now I have a large dark red spot on my arm not itchy at all but I guess it is age related.

a.jpg

That is a contusion (a bruise..or bleeding under the skin)...if it just happened when you bumped your arm then normal...but if it happened without any apparent physical cause your should see a doctor.

11 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Does all your skin itch, everywhere on your body, or just in some areas. Is the dryness caused by scratching? The reason why I'm asking is because an accumulation of bilirubin in your skin can cause intense itching, so severe that you might want to kill yourself (no joke). This is an indication of a liver blockage (cholestasis). Certain types of medicine (drugs) can casue this. Even something as inconspicuous as tylenol can cause it. I've been through this - it was living hell. It is usually accompanied by jaundice, but the itching can start before you notice your eyes and skin turning yellow. A liver function test can quickly eliminate this as a cause. In this case of pruritis, the itch is more intense in certain areas, especially the back of the hands.

Basically it's my torso, buttocks, top of arms etc, I've tried Eucerin Ph5 cream, that didn't seem to do much good, I'm going to check the 2 meds I take for side effects, 1 for my BP & the other to keep gout at bay.

Often perfumes in soaps and creams make it worse or may be the cause.

Try sunlight soap. 

Or aqueous cream BP is probably better. No perfume and can use like soap or shower cream.

Had psoriasis mostly on scalp but it's on hold now. 

I stopped using shampoo too. Wash with water only every time shower. No psoriasis, no dry itchy scalp, no flakes. Allow natural oils back and is ok now. Takes awhile though. A few months...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Maybe a soap laundry allergy, poorly removed by the washer machines ubiquitous here, which work on just one rinse.

In my case the problem ended with the purchase of a decent front loading washing machine with multiple rinse cycles.

I too thought it maybe an allergic reaction to the laundry powder, but we have used the same one for years, we tried a different version of the same one which came as liquid capsules but soon went back to the original. 

For some unknown reason it doesn't feel quite so bad today.

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I too thought it maybe an allergic reaction to the laundry powder, but we have used the same one for years, we tried a different version of the same one which came as liquid capsules but soon went back to the original. 

For some unknown reason it doesn't feel quite so bad today.

If non of the suggestions in this thread work, perhaps you need to see an allergist to see if you have developed and allergy to something, perhaps a food. or...... , 

As we get older often we develop allergies to things we were never allergic before. 

12 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Basically it's my torso, buttocks, top of arms etc, I've tried Eucerin Ph5 cream, that didn't seem to do much good, I'm going to check the 2 meds I take for side effects, 1 for my BP & the other to keep gout at bay.

Due to the liver blockage causing bilirubin accumulation in the skin, it's a good idea to eliminate this as a cause. A liver function test is about 350 baht from memory. I've had an itch develop once after taking some tylenol. I got a liver function test and discovered my bilirubin levels were a bit high. Drugs are broken down in the liver, so they can have a dramatic effect on liver function. Some people are more sensitive to elevated bilirubin levels than others. If mine go just a bit higher than normal, I can get itchy... and all over the torso and arms too. 

Edited by JensenZ

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

If non of the suggestions in this thread work, perhaps you need to see an allergist to see if you have developed and allergy to something, perhaps a food. or...... , 

As we get older often we develop allergies to things we were never allergic before. 

There's an easy way to test if the problem is an allergy. If it is, then antihistamines will stop or reduce the itch. If they don't work, there's another cause. If it is an allergy, it's more likely to cause hives, redness or some other skin reaction other than just dryness.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

A blood test may also be called for. Dry, itchy skin is a symptom of diabetes.

I had a blood test for diabetes just over 6 months ago that was all clear, I'll go and see my normal Dr in a week or so, only because I'm trying to eliminate certain things at home that could be a trigger ????