Post Covid Still testing Positive

Ubonjoe had a post a week or 2 ago showing Thailand does accept such a certificate sorry i cant find it, but the airline might insist on a negative test(thus not accept the certificate),  you will need to speak to your airline

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not true. The PCR test detects dead material left over from a previous infection.There is a  whole thread dedicated  to this subject.

So, PCR test must state whether the virus is dead or alive.  Or at least, all those who have recently recovered from covid must demand this.

6 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

So, PCR test must state whether the virus is dead or alive.  Or at least, all those who have recently recovered from covid must demand this.

Good luck with 'must'..lol Sheryl  gives a good explanation  of the Phenomenon dead covid RNA  etc on another thread

I set up another thread about the practical  implications  of this problem

Check em out

5 hours ago, howerde said:

Ubonjoe had a post a week or 2 ago showing Thailand does accept such a certificate sorry i cant find it, but the airline might insist on a negative test(thus not accept the certificate),  you will need to speak to your airline

He could still test positive on arrival in Thailand even if they accepted the recovery letter!  Not a good thing.  Especially as apparently Thailand has a more sensitive level to the PCR test. Anyhow, airlines will not accept .

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Good luck with 'must'..lol Sheryl  gives a good explanation  of the Phenomenon dead covid RNA  etc on another thread

I set up another thread about the practical  implications  of this problem

Check em out

Same good luck to OP to explain his positive PCR results are dead virus material to the airlines.  I would rather err on the safe side then to have my holidays spoilt by this ambiguity.

• Like 1

Emirates will take you after 14 days from the first positive. 
also thai international after 14, but more likely longer, depending on their local guru. 

they might do antibody test at BKK, some 3k. 
in some cases you are let to go to AQ without antibody. 
you can do antibody before departure. To speed up process and lower costs. 
I would also take pcr test at transferring dubai at $50, results in 20 minutes. Lab is between terminal b and c

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Google "Long haul COVID"

Not the same at all. Long  Covid  a terribly debilitating illness that can last months and even a year or more for some unlucky people. Awful. 
The op is recovered from Covid and is not suffering from Long Covid. But might test positive, or not.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Not true. The PCR test detects dead material left over from a previous infection.There is a  whole thread dedicated  to this subject.

So how you guarantee the test reacted to dead DNA or not? Exactly, you can’t. Therefore: The OP should self-isolate until he tests negative. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Don't be selfish.  When you are tested positive, you are still carrying the virus and spread to others on the plane.  The airlines are doing the right thing to stop you from boarding.

I've seen people test + on ATK tests and then full PCR's show negative, numerous times.

My medical advice is that I am no longer infectious now. Isolated for 10 days and am out roaming about as are hundreds of thousands of others out there. I think I will have to keep getting tested and just wait until I return a negative which should be within the next month or so.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

If you're testing positive then you are a spreader. 

Unless you've HAD Covid, then the dead remnants in your system can still show positive on the test.  But you're safe to be around. it's dead.

7 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Unless you've HAD Covid, then the dead remnants in your system can still show positive on the test.  But you're safe to be around. it's dead.

What test do you take to confirm that after you HAD Covid you are safe to move around?

well, as stated before, the vaccination never stopped you from being infected or even stop the spread of the virus, at best it will slow it down

vaccination failed if we have to go back to the old stupid measures like tests, lockdowns etc...

the future is treatment, and the labs knew this from the start, hence why they are starting to release those new remedies for covid.

Stupid governments, being lazy as usual, just want the vaccination, because it's easy and a no-brainer. The issue is a little bit more complex. This is not as simple as a terrorist attack or 911 where you can suspend all citizens rights with a spectacular event.

Covid is the best thing that could happen for authoritarian regimes. And I suspect that some western democracies will fall into authoritarian ruling after covid

• Confused 1

On 1/7/2022 at 5:02 PM, Kopitiam said:

It is impossible for a PCR test to state this. PCR only detects the existence of viral genetic material. That is all it can do.

I believe the exception re proof of recent recovery from COVID was in lieu of proof of vaccination, not in lieu of a negative COVID test. I doubt you can get in without the latter.

OP even if you could get permission to enter -- or if you, for example, test negative now, as you might -- you would almost surely have problems while in mandatory quarantine if you test positive.

You really do not want to push this particular envelope in Thailand at this time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update. A few days after I last posted above I did a another test and it came back negative so I jumped on a plane and flew into thailand. Did one day quarantine and tested negative and have been released into society without any issues.

So basically I tested positive about a week after being told I no longer had to isolate and that I was no longer infectious and then managed to test negative about 10 days later. All up probably 3 weeks after first being diagnosed with covid I was testing negative.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bankei said:

Here is an update. A few days after I last posted above I did a another test and it came back negative so I jumped on a plane and flew into thailand. Did one day quarantine and tested negative and have been released into society without any issues.

So basically I tested positive about a week after being told I no longer had to isolate and that I was no longer infectious and then managed to test negative about 10 days later. All up probably 3 weeks after first being diagnosed with covid I was testing negative.

Thanks for all the replies.

you can travel after 14 days from the first positive.

No need to wait for negative