How many hotel days (7 or 10 or 14) do I need to book for Alternative Quarantine in Phuket?

ppatrick

Hi,

I'm traveling to Thailand to visit my family. I already got denied for Thailand Pass twice. Bummer. So I'm trying the third time. The first 2 times I chose the Sandbox program. However I would like to try the Alternative Quarantine (AQ) because it has less requirements. The major is that I don't need to have a PCR test results 72 hours before flying out. I'm afraid of failing the test 72 hours before flying. Therefore I'm willing to be in the quarantine longer in Phuket to increase the chance of actually getting there.

The https://tp.consular.go.th/en/plan website has 3 options. The AQ option is the right one. It say "Booking for 7/10/14 days ...". See the red circle in the attached picture. So, how many days do I need to book the hotel? 7 or 10 or 14 days? It's not clear there. I'm coming from the US. Please advise.

Thank you,

Patrick

Untitled.png

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Would the airline let you board the plane without a test?

Very good point. How do I find out that? Is it different from airline to airline? My last travel frim Puerto Rico to USA didn't require any Covid test.

It would be odd if the airline wouldn't allow you to board the plane because you don't have the test results. People pay money to buy the plane tickets. Would the airline force people to waste their tickets (and other hotel booking and what not at the destination)? I'm curious.

14 hours ago, ozfarang said:

Required quarantine is,

7 days for vaccinated

10 days for unvaccinated

I think you still need a PCR test within 72 hours prior to departurel. Could be wrong on this point

Thanks for the info. Is the PCR test for when arriving Thailand or for leaving the US?

12 hours ago, federicoP said:

Unless you have a Thai passport, you do need the 72 hours PCR test.

It is a very clear requirement from Thailand and, often, from the airline too (luckily for your chair neighbors in the flight....)

Thanks for the info. Yes I have both US and Thai passports. I don't know that having a Thai passport would exempt the 72 hour PCR test. Could you provide the source?

4 hours ago, ppatrick said:

Thanks for the info. Yes I have both US and Thai passports. I don't know that having a Thai passport would exempt the 72 hour PCR test. Could you provide the source?

http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/en/consular-services/certificato-di-ingresso-coe

It is the site of the Thai Embassy in Rome, should be updated.....

Sorry it is in italian only, check with your consulate, but be careful:

- Only for quarantine, not for sanbox

- Many airlines have the PCR test as an additional requirement

Personally, I would not be happy to seat near a person that has not been tested before the long flight 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 5:49 PM, FritsSikkink said:

It isn't odd at all, i wouldn't want to sit next to someone who doesn't wants to be tested.

Why do you think you will fail, did you have Covid not long ago, or do you think you have it?

I don't know whether I would fail. I'm just paranoid. This is my 3rd plane ticket that I bought to go to Thailand already. The first ticket had to be cancelled because the Test & Go was scrapped out. The second ticket had to be cancelled because Thailand Pass denied me. Now I just got the approval of Thailand Pass with my 3rd plane ticket. It would be a real bummer if I couldn't board the plane because I test positive. I've heard that Omicron is very contagious. Statistics show that 50% of the people who have Omicron don't have symptoms. Since I'm super healthy, it's possible that if I'm infected I wouldn't have any symptoms.

On 1/8/2022 at 6:37 PM, federicoP said:

http://www.thaiembassy.it/index.php/en/consular-services/certificato-di-ingresso-coe

It is the site of the Thai Embassy in Rome, should be updated.....

Sorry it is in italian only, check with your consulate, but be careful:

- Only for quarantine, not for sanbox

- Many airlines have the PCR test as an additional requirement

Personally, I would not be happy to seat near a person that has not been tested before the long flight 

Thanks for the link. This is very very helpful. I used Google Translate and found the content that you mentioned:

● Foreign passport holders must undergo a molecular test 72 hours prior to departure and must have a negative result (not required for Thai passport holders).

So, it sounds like Thai passport holder could board the flight without the test results to allow them to return to Thailand. It makes sense.

10 minutes ago, ppatrick said:

Thanks for the link. This is very very helpful. I used Google Translate and found the content that you mentioned:

● Foreign passport holders must undergo a molecular test 72 hours prior to departure and must have a negative result (not required for Thai passport holders).

So, it sounds like Thai passport holder could board the flight without the test results to allow them to return to Thailand. It makes sense.

So you board the flight, might infect people on your way in if you are positive and spend some weeks in quarantine when you arrive. Then the people who you did infect during your flight have their holiday fckd up as they have to join you. Great idea.

Edited by FritsSikkink

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you board the flight, might infect people on your way in if you are positive and spend some weeks in quarantine when you arrive. Then the people who you did infect during your flight have their holiday fckd up as they have to join you. Great idea.

I've got your point. I might get infected from other people on the plane too. Frankly I'm accepting that risk because I am not on vacation/holiday. I would not go on vacation anywhere during pandemic unless it's family related (like in this case).