Mobile/cell phone coverage in RURAL parts of Northern Thailand

rose33

Hello good people

I've tried to do my own research and haven't found much, so am seeking some 'on the ground'*** knowledge from locals. Pretty please.

Which of the Thai cell networks is the best for coverage in the RURAL parts of Northern Thailand?

I'm talking phone coverage (i.e., simply being able to receive a signal) on any network... 2G, 3G etc.

Thanks team.

[***Discovered in Oz -- media hype about rural coverage can be distant from reality - eg - Telstra marketed as the 'rural coverage' network... so all the AU farmers have it. Go actually visit farms with your city slicker Optus SIM. Wow the fourth-generation locals by having strong coverage on their farm where they've never had any. This is why I'm not always convinced by the official coverage maps... Cheers]

How far out in the sticks are you going ?  I've been away from the metro areas and had decent coverage.  If out & about a lot, and have a partner, may want to use different service providers.  Me, DTAC, wife, AIS, along with wifi and never a problem.

I think your research was a bit lacking, as every service provider shows their range mapped on their websites.    If you have a dual sim card phone, then you should be covered for most of Thailand.

Edited by KhunLA

10 hours ago, rose33 said:

Which of the Thai cell networks is the best for coverage in the RURAL parts of Northern Thailand?

This is like asking where you can find the best Khao Soi.

Location dependent.

Do you have a particular spot in mind? Can you ask someone who lives there?

There are broad swaths of mountainous (ok, hilly) terrain and national parks, where coverage will be non-existent.

Or is this a general question, applicable to all (~) seventeen provinces?

Coverage used to be a thing, maybe 15 years ago. Now? Not so much. There are maps, some crowd-sourced, out there but I just don't think those are still maintained/updated.

Finally SIMs are ~ 50 baht, so spring for a 150 baht if you're worried.

• Like 2

AIS is the fastest and works well in the cities, also the most expensive. 

True I've never used them. 

DTAC I found has the best coverage around Thailand, though is also a tiny bit slower in speed compared to AIS. I've been using them for several years and I'm very happy.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/21/2022 at 12:47 AM, alextrat1966 said:

DTAC I found has the best coverage around Thailand, though is also a tiny bit slower in speed compared to AIS. I've been using them for several years and I'm very happy.

That is not supported by the open signal map. Though in any particular location DTAC may have a better signal AIS has the bigger network.

• Thanks 1

i was speaking/typing from experience.

My son uses DTAC and has a better service/signal than I, so your website is sweet.

though to be fair it all depends on many variables.

I suppose the smart choice is to have all available options and compare ones self

On 5/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, edgarfriendly said:

i was speaking/typing from experience.

My son uses DTAC and has a better service/signal than I, so your website is sweet.

though to be fair it all depends on many variables.

I suppose the smart choice is to have all available options and compare ones self

As I said there is no question that AIS has better coverage.

Also that in any specific location a DTAC signal can be better than an AIS one. The reverse is equally true. 

So in general AIS is usually the best choice

While in any one location that may not be true.

As you say conditions vary by location 

I live 18km outside of Udon.   Since AIS installed a cell tower within 1km of my home, I've had excellent coverage.  BUT, at points where my back yard dips down below 726ft (above sea level), the coverage is pretty much gone.  Similarly, there is a major weekend market that sits on Hwy 216 Udon-Loei.  There are towers all along that highway.  Yet, where I park for that market, 725ft, there's very spotty coverage.

I'd urge caution in applying one's good coverage in a particular area to good coverage in another area just down the road.