O-A Visa renewal - Bank information required

Hello

I need some advice on exactly what is required from my bank to show immigration to renew an O-A visa.

I have 800k THB sat in an account and don't touch it, so there is no issue with having money 3 months before/after etc

My query is:

On the day I go to immigration I understand that I need to get a letter from my bank (Bangkok Bank) - Please could someone let me know what this letter needs to show and what I ask the bank for in order to get this - can this be done in the morning or do I need to order it? If anyone can share a copy of the letter that would be great (obviously blanking out personal details)

I understand I might also need a 12 month statement? My bank can only produce 6 months statements on-site. Can I get two 6 months statements to show the 12 months or do I need to order a 12 month statement from head office via my branch? Do I need a 12 month statement if I get my passbook updated every month (there are small transactions leaving the account every month but balance is always over 800k)

ps I have read that their may be local practices in place so if it helps, the immigration I will be going to is Nong Khai

Many thanks for any help

The bank letter does not take long and the bank should know what you require.

Best to make small transaction deposit/withdrawal at same time as obtaining the letter and doing so on day of application.

(Letter can be obtained prior)

Also recent reports that Nong Khai required bank statements for the 12 months.

Someone dealing with NK can confirm.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

In my situation...Trat.. Bkk Bank.  The 12 month statement does take 7 days to obtain from Bkk.  Local Bkk bank office as OP stated can only do 6 months. I ordered a 12 month statement  approx 2 weeks prior then on visa day I obtained a month statement.. Accepted by IMO

I believe you could, as OP queried. Get several  statements then a final statement at the branch on visa day.

• Like 1

As stated above the bank should already know what to give you.  I've only used 2 banks for this before.  They were slightly different in what they gave me but no problems at immigration with either.  You should also have copies of each page in your bank book(not the blank pages) to give to immigration.  I ask the bank to make copies for me when getting my letter.  I have read here some immigration offices don't require the bank book pages.  But until you know your office doesn't want them best to be ready.

As others have said, the bank should be very familiar with the immigration requirements. If you go to the branch closest to the immigration office, they probably do 10 letters a day.

If you do require 12 months statements etc, find the main branch for the area and they can often do the statements strait away. otherwise a sub-branch is contacting the main branch.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Best to make small transaction deposit/withdrawal at same time as obtaining the letter

No need to do this if you have a Bangkok Bank bank account as Bangkok Bank can do an update on your bank book without doing a withdraw (works also on the ATM machine to update the Bank book).

Furthermore, if you do a withdraw on the day you go to immigration the balance amount on your bank book will not be the same as on the bank statement as the amount on the bank statement is the one from last 'day end' (guess midnight of previous day).

2 minutes ago, Sato said:

No need to do this if you have a Bangkok Bank bank account as Bangkok Bank can do an update on your bank book without doing a withdraw (works also on the ATM machine to update the Bank book).

Furthermore, if you do a withdraw on the day you go to immigration the balance amount on your bank book will not be the same as on the bank statement as the amount on the bank statement is the one from last 'day end' (guess midnight of previous day).

Depends on which immigration office you use.

I use CW. 

They want to see update and transaction on day of application.

I obtain my letter on day of application however some obtain day or 2 earlier.

CW does not require bank statements. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The bank letter does not take long and the bank should know what you require.

Best to make small transaction deposit/withdrawal at same time as obtaining the letter and doing so on day of application.

(Letter can be obtained prior)

Also recent reports that Nong Khai required bank statements for the 12 months.

Someone dealing with NK can confirm.

Why a small transaction ?  My bank does the letter, states the balance on the due date and the copy of bank book shows ALL transactions for the last 12 months . 

1 minute ago, Jen65 said:

Why a small transaction ?  My bank does the letter, states the balance on the due date and the copy of bank book shows ALL transactions for the last 12 months . 

Read above. Some immigration offices want to see what they refer to as "activity on day of application" 

That is not just update. 

If your imm office does not then fine. 

What kind of account do you haver?

A SAVING account? You can update it on the same day doing a withdraw at any ATM.

A FIXED account: you cannot do a withdraw at ATM as you don't have a debet card: so have to go inside the office to ask for a bankletter.  They know what you need and can have it immediately Some I.O. also ask for a statement, others don't when it is a FIXED account.

11 minutes ago, easydoor said:

Some I.O. also ask for a statement, others don't when it is a FIXED account

And some do not require statements for savings account.

Photocopies of bank book pages is sufficient. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I would check direct with immigration as they love to change the rules. 

For my renewal (65k income method, so not exactly the same) it used to be a 12 month bank statement in which I highlighted the monthly income. Then two or three years ago they changed to wanting individual income letters for each month. Then last year they wanted both. I'm waiting to see what they demand next month.... 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

"activity on day of application"

Funny, I allway's thought the reason for people doing this is to have a balance printed on the bank book on the day of application on systems which will not print a balance if there was no transaction since last balance was printed.

That would make sense to me as otherwise an actual balance would be missing on the bank book.

I cannot see any other reason on why a transaction on the day of application would be required (and this requirement would be obsolet if the bank system is able to print a balance without a transaction been made since last printed balance).

But yes, not all immigration requirements seem to make allway's sense. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Because it needs updating on the day you get it.

The update of the bank book is possible without a transaction been made at Bangkok Bank.

So there must be an other unknown reason why that's a requirement at some immigrations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sato said:

But yes, not all immigration requirements seem to make allway's sense.

I hear you.

Take this OP.....his words....

"there are small transactions leaving the account every month but balance is always over 800k"

why on earth would this guy need bank statements. 

The answer is of course is that particular immigration office has it as a requirement. 

Im in similar situation as the OP.

Use money in bank and always well above 800k all year.

My office (CW) is happy with photocopies of bank book pages and bank letter etc. No statements. 

The inconsistency is consistent. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all this help. I will make a list and go with hopefully more than I need (although it's not for a while yet)

Just one more query - when I did a "dry run" at the bank, they asked if I wanted the statement in English or Thai - which should I go for?

5 minutes ago, TimF said:

Thanks for all this help. I will make a list and go with hopefully more than I need (although it's not for a while yet)

Just one more query - when I did a "dry run" at the bank, they asked if I wanted the statement in English or Thai - which should I go for?

Thai. The bank should know this.

22 hours ago, TimF said:

On the day I go to immigration I understand that I need to get a letter from my bank (Bangkok Bank) - Please could someone let me know what this letter needs to show and what I ask the bank for in order to get this - can this be done in the morning or do I need to order it? If anyone can share a copy of the letter that would be great (obviously blanking out personal details)

I understand I might also need a 12 month statement? My bank can only produce 6 months statements on-site. Can I get two 6 months statements to show the 12 months or do I need to order a 12 month statement from head office via my branch? Do I need a 12 month statement if I get my passbook updated every month (there are small transactions leaving the account every month but balance is always over 800k)

Bangkok Bank has a standard letter for immigration purpose, where details are just typed in.

Normally a three month statement is required together with the bank letter, plus a photo copy of the bank book; some offices require all pages of the bank book, so check exactly what the office you use needs of documentation.

From my experience, it's best to leave the 800k baht in a special account not mixed with other transactions. If you can afford it, for example use a 12 month fixed deposit for best interest, and just withdraw the interest once a year, and leave the 800k baht balance; then you also don't need to remember to top up the account two month prior to next annual renewal. It makes it easy for both you, and the immigration officer.

I've been using the above method for years, and I also include the balance my normal savings account with ATM card for foreign transfers and daily use in my annual letter, to show my source of income. That means a fee for the letter and two fees for statements, normally in Bankok Bank 3 x 100 baht...????

EDIT: Some offices wish a bank statement and copy of bankbook same day, or day before, applying for extension of stay; others accepts bank letter and statement dated up to a week before.

Edited by khunPer

12 hours ago, Rory Pedley said:

I'm with Bangkok Bank and had to order 2 weeks in advance for 12 month statement.

IMG20220115180219.jpg

Impossible to fulfill this requirements.

'Bank Statement max. 7 Day old' but the order of such a 12 month bank statement takes 2 weeks at your Bangkok Bank.

All papers must have the same balance is also not possible to achieve if you have to do a withdraw and update the bank book at the day of application, the balance of the bank book is not the same as the balance of the bank statement and the bank letter. 

• Confused 1