U.s. Military Deaths In Iraq At 3,501

LaoPo

What a world...what a war...what a bloodshed... :o

So many young lives lost... :D

U.S. Military Deaths in Iraq at 3,501

Jun 8, 2007 (AP)

As of Friday, June 8, 2007, at least 3,501 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes seven military civilians. At least 2,864 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The British military has reported 150 deaths; Italy, 33; Ukraine, 18; Poland, 20; Bulgaria, 13; Spain, 11; Denmark, seven; El Salvador, five; Slovakia, four; Latvia, three; Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, two each; and Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Romania, South Korea, one death each.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3256686

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

And what does this have to do with this forum?

Maybe two Thai military deaths in Iraq isn't enough to make it Thai related in this senseless war....?

I leave it to the Mods, ok?

LaoPo

When you get on about Burma it's one thing as it's sorta relevant, but as for the other crusades, start a blog or something. We don't need to read this stuff on every single internet forum.

When you get on about Burma it's one thing as it's sorta relevant, but as for the other crusades, start a blog or something. We don't need to read this stuff on every single internet forum.

:o

Hope you have a better day tomorrow, cdnvic...

LaoPo

It's just that if everyone used General Topics for their off topic soap box it'd be a mess to read. The rest of us have things we'd like to rant about too but at least we show the rest of the members the courtesy of doing it where it's appropriate.

Many of the dead undoubtedly passed through Thailand on their R&R breaks. I suppose it is Thai related in a general way... could explain why some of the tourists spots are a little slow, especially the infantrymen supported entertainment establishments.

Edited by mdeland

It's just that if everyone used General Topics for their off topic soap box it'd be a mess to read. The rest of us have things we'd like to rant about too but at least we show the rest of the members the courtesy of doing it where it's appropriate.

I hope you have a much better day tomorrow, cdnvic...

As said: I leave it to the Mods.

LaoPo

I hope you have a much better day tomorrow, cdnvic...

Actually, I'm having a great day thanks. :D

Don't need to be having a bad one to spot a misplaced crusade. :o

Edited by cdnvic

I didn't think Thailand had any troops in Iraq ?

Then again, I would have laughed if anyone had said Mongolia was sending troops to Afghanistan (until I saw them here). I remember some time ago there was a discussion about the mighty 37 member coalition in Iraq. Certain (politicians) were trying to make it sound like they had this huge force from around the world, until it got out that places like Estonia had 9 troops there, Lithuania - 5 troops, Latvia about the same.

So if Thailand does have troops in Iraq, there may not be a whole lot of them.

I didn't think Thailand had any troops in Iraq ?

Then again, I would have laughed if anyone had said Mongolia was sending troops to Afghanistan (until I saw them here). I remember some time ago there was a discussion about the mighty 37 member coalition in Iraq. Certain (politicians) were trying to make it sound like they had this huge force from around the world, until it got out that places like Estonia had 9 troops there, Lithuania - 5 troops, Latvia about the same.

So if Thailand does have troops in Iraq, there may not be a whole lot of them.

I didn't know either, but found this on Wikipedia:

"Withdrawal of last 100 troops from Thailand's 423-strong humanitarian contingent completed on September 10, 2004, in accordance with Thailand's mandate in Iraq which expired in September. Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra had previously announced early withdrawal if the situation became too dangerous. Thailand lost two soldiers in Iraq in an insurgent attack."

Cdnvic: I am not intending, nor intended to do, a crusade, to anybody or whomever.

LaoPo

Many of the dead undoubtedly passed through Thailand on their R&R breaks. I suppose it is Thai related in a general way... could explain why some of the tourists spots are a little slow, especially the infantrymen supported entertainment establishments.

Huh?

If Tony Blair once had a nice two week holiday with his wife in Phuket, does that mean Thaivisa is a suitable place to discuss his legacy on British Foreign Policy?

Jun 8, 2007 (AP)

As of Friday, June 8, 2007, at least 3,501 members of the U.S. military have died since the beginning of the Iraq war in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count. The figure includes seven military civilians. At least 2,864 died as a result of hostile action, according to the military's numbers.

The British military has reported 150 deaths; Italy, 33; Ukraine, 18; Poland, 20; Bulgaria, 13; Spain, 11; Denmark, seven; El Salvador, five; Slovakia, four; Latvia, three; Estonia, Netherlands, Thailand, two each; and Australia, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Romania, South Korea, one death each.

LaoPo

I personally knew six of the 3,501 members of the U.S. military who have been killed in Iraq. These were fine young men who have left behind grieving parents and wives and children who will never know very much about their fathers. As a career military man in the U.S. Army, I've lost many friends. That is always the tragedy of war. So many young lives are lost and with that loss goes untold potential that could have made the world a better place for all of us. As I have said before, old men create wars, young men die in them.

Jun 8, 2007 (AP)

LaoPo

I personally knew six of the 3,501 members of the U.S. military who have been killed in Iraq. These were fine young men who have left behind grieving parents and wives and children who will never know very much about their fathers. As a career military man in the U.S. Army, I've lost many friends. That is always the tragedy of war. So many young lives are lost and with that loss goes untold potential that could have made the world a better place for all of us. As I have said before, old men create wars, young men die in them.

what have thais got troops there for anyway ,bring them home and send them to the south ,there need more there ,but its probably more dangerous :D

Jun 8, 2007 (AP)

LaoPo

what have thais got troops there for anyway ,bring them home and send them to the south ,there need more there ,but its probably more dangerous :D

Lazeeboy, I agree with you that the Thai government should bring their force home from Iraq and go on the offensive in the south. The longer they wait, the more difficult it is going to become to get the insurgents out of there. But the Thai government also has to make a concerted effort to win the support of the people living in the south, because they are going to need the information from the good citizens there to identify and track down the insurgents. So far, that doesn't seem to be happening.

The Thais left the Iraq war a long long time ago.

This thread might be related to Thailand in that Thaksin was a lot like GWB. He tried to solve the problems of the south by painting the people down their who are against the government as terrorists. He let his military abuse prisoners etc. A lot of Thai people like to say that Southern Thailand is like Iraq. George Bush and Thaksin are two megalomaniacs. Lots of people have died because of their way of dealing with things. Send them both to jail.

Edited by Aujuba