British Passport Holder with less than 6 months travelling to UK

RJaidee

My son has a UK passport that expires in September.

We are planning to go to UK in July, returning before September. 

He is also a Thai citizen so he did not need his passport to enter here last time he came.

Do I need a new passport for him to travel to the UK with less that 6 months till expiry, or is it ok?

I think you've got time to get a new one issued.

I'd call the embassy to check on turn around times and if doable I'd get a new passport.

It doesn't take more than 2 months to get a new one (but because of the disruptions from 'the situation' I'd check with the embassy before doing so). You've got about 4 months before travel yes?

As a rule of thumb I would say its never good to travel on a nearly, or as in your case expiring passport in and out of countries, regardless of whether you can enter your passport country expired or not.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I think you've got time to get a new one issued.

I'd call the embassy to check on turn around times and if doable I'd get a new passport.

It doesn't take more than 2 months to get a new one (but because of the disruptions from 'the situation' I'd check with the embassy before doing so). You've got about 4 months before travel yes?

As a rule of thumb I would say its never good to travel on a nearly, or as in your case expiring passport in and out of countries, regardless of whether you can enter your passport country expired or not.

Whilst the OP may well have time to obtain a new passport, as has been correctly pointed out there is no requirement for a British Citizen to have six months remaining on their passport to enter the UK.

The current advice from the HMPO is that an applicant should allow ten weeks for a new passport to be issued, the UK Embassy are not involved in the processing and issuing of passports.

Whilst I agree that travellers should always be aware of the passport requirements for the destination country, I certainly wouldn't claim that it's a "rule of thumb" that you shouldn't travel on a passport with a limited validity.

I do have one caveat, the OP isn't clear how long the child will be staying in the UK, if returning to Thailand then a new passport can be applied for in the UK, providing they have time, an online application is considerably cheaper than applying from here in Thailand, if they are remaining in the UK they can apply there at their leisure.

• Like 1

Thank you

I need to apply anyway, with an 11 (eleven) week turnaround, due to it being a busy time (what with all major airlines collapsing), but will also get his Thai 1 incase it takes even longer than 3 months to print a piece of paper.

On 1/18/2022 at 8:37 PM, RJaidee said:

Thank you

I need to apply anyway, with an 11 (eleven) week turnaround, due to it being a busy time (what with all major airlines collapsing), but will also get his Thai 1 incase it takes even longer than 3 months to print a piece of paper.

The Thai passport renewal process is a darn sight more efficient than that pathetic shambles of a passport renewal service offered by HMPO for us Brits living here in Thailand!

On 1/18/2022 at 11:18 PM, Maybole said:

I telephoned the Passport Office in Glasgow just before New Year, they quoted 4 weeks waiting fora renewal. VFS quotes 13 to 15 weeks.

The 4 weeks quoted by the HMPO office in Glasgow almost certainly relates to passport renewal applications submitted in the UK. Whereas the VFS estimate of 13 to 15 weeks is for passport renewal applications submitted from Thailand, from which it could IMHO be reasonably inferred that HMPO accord the very highest of tip-top priorities to ensuring that UK-based applicants are always first in line for their new passports, with applicants based in Thailand being expected to await their turn at the back of the queue, consistent with their perceived status as third-class British citizens.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 11:18 PM, Maybole said:

I telephoned the Passport Office in Glasgow just before New Year, they quoted 4 weeks waiting fora renewal. VFS quotes 13 to 15 weeks.

Overseas British passport applications

How long it takes

You’ll need to allow up to 11 weeks to get a new passport.

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult