Volunteer Visa - Impossible To Apply For Non-O Following Volunteer Visa Via Agent?

I've recently been advised that immigration will not currently accept any application for a Non-O type visa / extension if you've previously been issued a Volunteer visa (expired or otherwise)

Does anyone have any insight on policy direction here? e.g.:

Is this the consensus nationwide?

Will this policy apply outside of Thailand - or are Embassies/Consulates operating to standard requirements?

Further Covid extensions rumoured/likely?

Thanks.

Immigration will not issue another non-o visa if you already have one. They can only be issued if you have a visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

They should issue a extension of stay if you have a valid reason to apply for it.

An embassy or consulate would issue another one since the old visa would  not be valid.

9 minutes ago, James Bernard said:

Thanks Joe. I'm actually now on a 60 day Covid extension the Non O having expired. What does that make my visa status / what are my options, on that basis? 

Your visa status is still Non-O

You can apply for any type of non-immigrant extension (marriage, work, study, retirement...) if you qualify for it.

If the Covid extension option gets extended you can of course also apply for another one.

Edited by FriendlyFarang

Issue is that there are rumors immigration will not give you an extension if you have paid for a 'dodgy' volunteer visa/extension in your passport. At the moment those 'dodgy' visa's/extensions are not available anymore since the recent change of some head immigration officer in Isaan. What I also heard is that you need a passport change before you can get a new visa/extensions. But as said, this is only from hear saying. To the OP: talk to a good agent if you encounter any troubles or if you are not sure how to proceed and post the outcome. ???? 

The BOI have the below urgent announcement on their website. It would appear that if an applicant has a valid extension based on volunteering then there are no problems at all. They just have to show documentary proof.

For everyone else they have a different suggestion.

I realise that few people will be impacted by the decision by the BOI, but the chances are they are carrying out this policy in the same manner as other immigration offices.

URGENT-ANNOUNCEMENT.thumb.png.e03765b70195a83434e00f9e7864d3cc.png

https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Did you read this bit from the OP, second post....

"I'm actually now on a 60 day Covid extension..."

And in what way does that make my suggestion invalid to talk to a good agent if he encounters any problems? His Non-O, assumably volunteer, is expired. Maybe you should focus on giving information that can help the OP?

Just now, ExpatDraco said:

And in what way does that make my suggestion invalid to talk to a good agent if he encounters any problems? His Non-O, assumably volunteer, is expired. Maybe you should focus on giving information that can help the OP?

It appears that as the OP has obtained a covid extension and assuming the covid extensions will continue past Jan 25, then obtaining covid extensions is one possible option.

On 1/18/2022 at 2:39 PM, FriendlyFarang said:

Your visa status is still Non-O

You can apply for any type of non-immigrant extension (marriage, work, study, retirement...) if you qualify for it.

If the Covid extension option gets extended you can of course also apply for another one.

Ok thanks. This makes sense. I will go back to my  local IO and talk it over again - will report back if the application is rejected explicitly on the basis of the prior visa. Probably take along the official checklist in Thai, if I can find it. Can't see that I am missing anything. They seem constructive enough; just have to work out what's going on, I guess.

I know this is genuinely an issue for agents as four or five now have advised that this is the case. Perhaps Immigration have taken a view on agent-arranged visas in the current circumstances (possibly benevolently lol - can only speculate). I think a couple can perhaps still facilitate retirement, but for a parent, nothing doing. 

I can confirm that i was denied extension based on marriage because i previously had a volunteer visa+extension. (expired long time ago, now on covid extensions)

They advised me to leave the country and come back on exempt, then apply again.. No mention of getting a new passport.

Strangely the same immigration office (Phuket) are still happy to give me covid extensions.. So i guess its only a problem if you try to switch to another type of non-o or b extension.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I can confirm that i was denied extension based on marriage because i previously had a volunteer visa+extension. (expired long time ago, now on covid extensions)

They advised me to leave the country and come back on exempt, then apply again.. No mention of getting a new passport.

Strangely the same immigration office (Phuket) are still happy to give me covid extensions.. So i guess its only a problem if you try to switch to another type of non-o or b extension.

If you meet all the requirements for the Marriage Visa, we could assist with this.

TO confirm you can message my team via LINE: @ThaiVisaCentre

6 hours ago, ExpatDraco said:

Issue is that there are rumors immigration will not give you an extension if you have paid for a 'dodgy' volunteer visa/extension in your passport. At the moment those 'dodgy' visa's/extensions are not available anymore since the recent change of some head immigration officer in Isaan. What I also heard is that you need a passport change before you can get a new visa/extensions. But as said, this is only from hear saying. To the OP: talk to a good agent if you encounter any troubles or if you are not sure how to proceed and post the outcome. ???? 

Yes this aligns with what I'm hearing.

That would truly be a disaster, but need to know one way or another, asap... 

No agent seems able to assist up to 5 at last count. Would look at retaining an immigration lawyer but they seem the same thing as visa agents, so far.

6 hours ago, blackcab said:

The BOI have the below urgent announcement on their website. It would appear that if an applicant has a valid extension based on volunteering then there are no problems at all. They just have to show documentary proof.

I realise that few people will be impacted by the decision by the BOI, but the chances are they are carrying out this policy in the same manner as other immigration offices.

Ok noted. Thanks very much for this! Bad news, but essential to know.

(Smart Visa a new category / change of category as well, i.e  suggests central policy more wides-weeping than I suspected) 

I do have *a* letter from the Foundation, which they issued to help with opening a bank account... Sounds imperative to go down that route.

49 minutes ago, ThaiVisaCentre said:

If you meet all the requirements for the Marriage Visa, we could assist with this.

TO confirm you can message my team via LINE: @ThaiVisaCentre

Interesting. I've heard one agent say retirement a possibility and now one say marriage OK. Will end up being a pretty cruel policy if its only parents that are ineligible / Thai children who suffer for it.

1 hour ago, MajorTom said:

Thanks. Did you ask them specifically about Non-B also, i.e. switch to work visa? (possibly covered above re SMART visa but interesting to know. Agree covid ext only seems a bit illogical)

8 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Thanks for this information, I had Volunteer Visa Extension which was canceled on expiry by an agent who then arranged my 1st Covid Extension... My 2nd Covid Extension is due next month (Phuket) hopefully I'll be able to do it myself, agent said it should be OK.

Did you get your 1st Covid Extension yourself or via agent? (I couldn't do my 1st Covid Extension myself, agent did it)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sallecc said:

Thanks for this information, I had Volunteer Visa Extension which was canceled on expiry by an agent who then arranged my 1st Covid Extension... My 2nd Covid Extension is due next month (Phuket) hopefully I'll be able to do it myself, agent said it should be OK.

Did you get your 1st Covid Extension yourself or via agent? (I couldn't do my 1st Covid Extension myself, agent did it)

Agent. Although, I don't think it was cancelled. 

10 hours ago, James Bernard said:

Thanks. Did you ask them specifically about Non-B also, i.e. switch to work visa? (possibly covered above re SMART visa but interesting to know. Agree covid ext only seems a bit illogical)

No, but i doubt they would treat it any different for non-b. They were not happy with this volunteer visa from another province. They Kept saying Isaan, agent and Illegal ????

3 hours ago, sallecc said:

I actually did 2 covid extensions by agent. But from what i understand i only needed to do the first one this way.

The first one was processed up north (denied by phuket immigration for the same reason: volunteer stamp), while the second one was done locally.

Agent also told me once i had a covid extension, the volunteer status was cancelled. But i guess not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MajorTom said:

Agent also told me once i had a covid extension, the volunteer status was cancelled. But i guess not.

What was canceled was your extension based on volunteering. What was not canceled was your non-immigrant visa entry. Big difference with regards to applying for another extension that requires a non-immigrant visa entry.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MajorTom said:

I actually did 2 covid extensions by agent. But from what i understand i only needed to do the first one this way.

The first one was processed up north (denied by phuket immigration for the same reason: volunteer stamp), while the second one was done locally.

Thanks, this thread will have lots of useful info for ex-V holders on C-ext.

So you mean you didn't actually do Covid extension yourself in Phuket yet (without an agent), correct? My 2nd is coming up in 4 weeks, I'll try to do it myself, a bit earlier (to give few days for an agent in case of failure), and I will try to remember to report it back here.

23 minutes ago, sallecc said:

So you mean you didn't actually do Covid extension yourself in Phuket yet (without an agent), correct?

No, i have not. But i think its not a problem once you already got one done via agent.

The covid extensions are done at a different department for some reason.. Its outside the immigration building in a tent. While the family and business stuff are done upstairs and are subject to a stricter form of approval i guess.

Its also extremely time consuming. It was not busy, but they spent 4 hours on about 10 queue numbers. Only took them 2 minutes to reject my application once it was my turn. Despite that all my documents were pre-checked when i got there..

Also worth mentioning is i did actually leave the country at one point and came back on a re-entry while on this "illegal" extension.. I also got several CoRs (last one very recently), did TM30 etc. with Phuket immigration during this period. No problems whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

On 1/19/2022 at 4:28 PM, blackcab said:

This confirms that there is at least an official protocol for an IO to terminate visas issued elsewhere. Presumably Visa is also automatically terminated by leaving the country (assuming expired / no stamps). Anyone have experience in applying outside the country.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:55 PM, James Bernard said:

Yes this aligns with what I'm hearing.

That would truly be a disaster, but need to know one way or another, asap... 

No agent seems able to assist up to 5 at last count. Would look at retaining an immigration lawyer but they seem the same thing as visa agents, so far.

To update on this. Also hearing same now from agent who facilitated intro to foundation. Passport is toast. All part of the service.

41 minutes ago, James Bernard said:

To update on this. Also hearing same now from agent who facilitated intro to foundation. Passport is toast. All part of the service.

Did you try TVC? They said they could assist in OP's case (see their post above)

I have heard from 2 different agents that this is fixable. Obtaining a marriage extension from agent does however require to send away your passport for 4-5 weeks.

I have not tried this procedure as im leaving the country regardless of visa situation.

34 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

I have heard from 2 different agents that this is fixable. Obtaining a marriage extension from agent does however require to send away your passport for 4-5 weeks.

I have not tried this procedure as im leaving the country regardless of visa situation.

Thanks, would you mind DM contacts. Weird that marriage is OK. Could live with the temporary separation, tbh. But kids don't understand.

59 minutes ago, sallecc said:

Did you try TVC? They said they could assist in OP's case (see their post above)

Sometimes difficult to know who you're hearing from, agents... In my case have requested a call from head honcho. And will update, whilst preserving conventional discretion, obviously.

• Confused 1