Car rental in Sakon Nakhon

nofarang

There used be an Avis stall at the airport, plus at least one, maybe two Thai rental companies. I think Avis you had to pre-book, with the Thai one(s) you could rock up and rent a car. One time I took the last one though so its not as if there is a large supply. I haven't rented from there since about 2017, paid about 1,000 a day plus 3000 deposit, always returned.

They were all on the right hand side as you entered the airport building, or straight in front of arrivals baggage hall. When I was there in beginning of December 2021 I noticed they had done some re-modelling and I don't recall seeing Avis (but I could be wrong), but there was at least a Thai one.

Note that the airport basically shuts down between flights so you need to go when there is a flight, unless you are arriving on a flight!

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Udon Thani is probably going to be the nearest gut lets MOVE THIS  ti the Isaan forum for local knowledge.

Yes 

Perhaps you can fly into Udon Thani and rent a car.  2.5 hour drive but very pleasant.  Plus descent hotels before flying out.  Good nightlife in Udon Thani also!

You'll need a car here if you need to go anywhere.  There's not even moto taxis available in the City.

Where in Sakon Nakhon?

Up in Northern Sakhon across the river.  Beung Khon has a village/City with a pub/Pizza place where they serve good food and ex pats hang out and shoot the breeze.

Plenty of Lao girly bars everywhere, and one up the street from the Pub.

Edited by MrJ2U

• 2 weeks later...