Visa requirement

Wife is Thai and has an expired Thai passport and current ID card.

She has Aussie citizenship, planning to get her Aussie passport, and thinking of travelling back to Thailand perhaps September October this year depending on the Covid situation and the entry requirements.

Only option for getting a new Thai passport in Australia is for us to travel down to (at least) Sydney and not real keen about that at the moment, plus it's rather a large financial output just to get her Thai passport.

For myself, I was planning on a 60 day Thai tourist visa as we wish to stay at least 6 weeks this time around.

I would imagine the only way for my wife to enter under current passport circumstances i.e. Thai passport expired but would have Aus passport, would be for her to get the same 60 day tourist visa as well.

or, is it possible for her to leave Aus on an Aus passport and enter Thailand on her expired passport? 

Looked in the Thai Consulate web sites here in Aus but could not find any relevent details.

Anyone here have any experience with a similar situation.

Failing that I may have to call the Consulate in Sydney and get some direction for there.

Cheers Jorgo

Only the Thai embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney can help with Thai passport issues.

Normally a Thai can enter Thailand with expired but due to the covid 19 restrictions and needing a Thailand pass.

It will probably be easier for her to get a certificate of identity or embergency than a new passport in Australia.

Info is here on the embassy website. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/thai-emergency-passport/

If you only plan on staying for 6 weeks you can enter visa exempt to get a 30 day entry that can be extended for 30 days.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

She is Thai so can enter with her expired Thai Passport.

Normally that is correct but covid 19 has changed that. At this time they need to get temporary passport or a certificate of identity to get a Thailand Pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, bluejets said:

She has Aussie citizenship, planning to get her Aussie passport,......

Is that a difficult process?

Ultimately an Oz pp for her would be handy.

Why not get her an Oz pp if possible and travel to Thailand using that.

While in Thailand she could also obtain her Thai pp..

GF tells me Thai pp currently 3500baht and does not take long.

Does she have Thai ID card. 

40 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No problem what so ever but then the question would remain, would she then be required to have a 60 day visa like I intended to apply for, or as someone pointed out, visa exempt and then 30 day extension.

That sort of raises another question as well.

I have been there both on multiple entry visa and 30 day visa expempt on a few occasions but never had to apply for an extension.

What would the latter process be?

Edited by bluejets

14 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The cost might be 3,500 baht if you apply for it through the Sydney consulate, I guess.

Nup was mistake in my info from my Thai gf.

She still maintains that the 10 year is 3500 and 1500 was promo.

She is always on the money but I Googled cost after ubonjoe post and indeed all the info states 1500baht for the 10 year.

On an aside: I'm obtaining new Oz one this year 13k+. 

10k+ if I obtain in Oz. 

And folk say it's expensive in Thailand. Try Australia out. 

6 minutes ago, bluejets said:

What would the latter process be?

That's an easy process. 

1900baht. 

You stated... I was planning on a 60 day Thai tourist visa as we wish to stay at least 6 weeks this time around.

What is cost of TV.

You could bite the bullet and this visit obtain your wife Oz pp and both obtain TV.

If you stayed longer than 60 days (doubtful!) be aware that TV can be extended by 30 days. 1900baht

Edited by DrJack54

59 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The cost might be 3,500 baht if you apply for it through the Sydney consulate, I guess.

I assumed she was stating the cost here. Not sure she would know what it would be in Australia since she is apparently here.

I looked on both websites in Australia and could not find the cost for a Thai passport.

The US embassy has this that is close to the same as here.

"General passport valid for 5 years  , $37.00 fee.

General Passport, valid for 10 years  , USD 55.00 fee."

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That's an easy process. 

1900baht. 

Yes well, that is the cost but I was more after the actual process i.e. how to and where to get etc.

Then again that is more than the original idea of applying for the 60 day tourist visa while still in Aus.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A assumed she was stating the cost here. Not sure she would know what it would be in Australia since she is apparently here.

I looked on both websites in Australia and could not find the cost for a Thai passport.

The US embassy has this that is close to the same as here.

"General passport valid for 5 years  , $37.00 fee.

General Passport, valid for 10 years  , USD 55.00 fee."

In Aus it shows the Thai passport cost at AUD$60.00

She is in Aus at the moment as I originally showed.

Edited by bluejets

1 minute ago, bluejets said:

Yes well, that is the cost but I was more after the actual process i.e. how to and where to get etc.

You apply at immigration office where you are staying.

If Bangkok that would be MTT immigration and would be issued on the spot but involves travel to office etc. Messy when on holiday.

Personally would go with what I mentioned earlier.

Oz passport for wife.

Tourist Visa for both of you.

Next time far easier and wife can exit Oz with her Thai pp.

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

FYI, if he intends for his wife to fly out on an Aussie pp and enter Thailand on her Thai pp, her name must match in both passports.  Meaning, can't have her Thai pp with her Thai maiden name and the Aussie pp have her married name. If the intent is a 6 week stay then return to Australia, then getting an Aussie pp seems to be an easier path... IMO anyway

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, howlee101 said:

FYI, if he intends for his wife to fly out on an Aussie pp and enter Thailand on her Thai pp, her name must match in both passports.  Meaning, can't have her Thai pp with her Thai maiden name and the Aussie pp have her married name. If the intent is a 6 week stay then return to Australia, then getting an Aussie pp seems to be an easier path... IMO anyway

What? 

I already suggested he should obtain Oz pp and enter Thailand on that. She will also exit Thailand with that pp.

She currently does not even have a Thai pp.

She can obtain one when she is in Thailand. 

9 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What? 

I already suggested he should obtain Oz pp and enter Thailand on that. She will also exit Thailand with that pp.

She currently does not even have a Thai pp.

She can obtain one when she is in Thailand. 

Not disagreeing with your post, and agreed the enter/exit Thailand with a Aussie pp is the easiest. The OP said his wife has an expired Thai pp which could be renewed.  All I was pointing out was the names in both passports needs to match if they ever intended to use both passports to depart Aus, enter Thailand, and return to Aus.  My wife had to do the same for her US and Thai pp's.  Another tidbit, if the married license was from Aus, the license will have to be transcribed into Thai (and it must match EXACTLY or it will be rejected) before the Thai pp can be changed to reflect her married name.  

Both passports would have the same name as we were married in Thailand in 2012 and her expired passport carries her married name.

The original 2012 passport was due to expire in 2017, so when she moved permanently to Australia in 2016, we had a new passport issued.

This passport expired in 2021, all were 5 year passports.

Current Thai passport expired.

Thai electronic passports are not renewed, rather a new passport is issued.

The $60 quoted for a new Thai E-passport from Sydney is the Consulate quoted price in Aussie dollar and is valid for 5 years.

Canberra ( who would want to go there) can issue 10 year passport for $90 Austrlian dollar quoted price.

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/page/89619-thai-passports?menu=5d847cc315e39c21b800619b

Any of the temporary travel document or emergency passport are for just that, emergency use.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Canberra ( who would want to go there) can issue 10 year passport for $90 Austrlian dollar quoted price.

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/page/89619-thai-passports?menu=5d847cc315e39c21b800619b

Sydney can accept a application for a 10 year passport as well. It could be they have failed to mention it on their website.

52 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Any of the temporary travel document or emergency passport are for just that, emergency use.

That is not always the case.

At this time it is done due to covid 19 since a they need a valid passport or travel document now to travel to Thailand.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Not at this time.

In reality a Thai ID card is not enough to travel to Thailand even in normal cases. At the least a expired passport would be needed.

I was referring to the 'certificate of identity' for the Thailand pass. Is that still a no no ? 

24 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I was referring to the 'certificate of identity' for the Thailand pass. Is that still a no no ? 

A certificate of identity can be used. Some embassies and official consulates are calling them a emergency travel document.

Yes, both those are for use in emergency and I fear they would not look upon a "holiday trip" to be classified as an emergency.

Usually the facts are in the details required and unless actually doing an application, the contents appear to be hidden away. 

I have contacted the Sydney Consulate by email so will see what transpires from there re-passport expired entry, otherwise it just becomes a "should be ok" thing and end up being shunted back to Aus on arrival.

Thanks for the input, appreciated.

15 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Yes, both those are for use in emergency and I fear they would not look upon a "holiday trip" to be classified as an emergency.

The word emergency really means nothing. In normal conditions a Thai cound use a expired passport.

I can assure you they are issuing them without a lot of questions at this time.

• Like 1