Covid extension in Bangkok after 30 days extension: 20/01/2022 report.

1 minute ago, FriendlyFarang said:

That's correct, that's how it's done here in Thailand.

Bolt is cheaper than Grab

Thank you for your comment. I don't know Bolt at all, I'm going to have a look.

One other thing annoying in Thailand: aliens are not allowed to pay with Grab wallet like in Malaysia, you're forced to use cash.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Thank you for your comment. I don't know Bolt at all, I'm going to have a look.

One other thing annoying in Thailand: aliens are not allowed to pay with Grab wallet like in Malaysia, you're forced to use cash.

I'd swear I had my prepaid visa linked for a while on Grab with visa conversion rates. Also, Aliens can and do manage to open bank accounts in Thailand even visa exempt. I don't know the benefits of Grab Wallet, but the above is already enough for most.

That said, cash and meter is usually cheaper and there's never shortage of taxis around. I save Grab for when there's a nice voucher or for emergencies eg no cash left or the odd late night Khaosan ride back to avoid the mafia.

1 hour ago, anotherfarangishere said:

While it's true that you cannot open a Grab wallet as a foreigner, you are not forced to use cash. You can add a credit or debit card to your profile and use it for cashless Grab Pay.

2 hours ago, VictorInBKK said:

I'd swear I had my prepaid visa linked for a while on Grab with visa conversion rates. Also, Aliens can and do manage to open bank accounts in Thailand even visa exempt. I don't know the benefits of Grab Wallet, but the above is already enough for most.

That said, cash and meter is usually cheaper and there's never shortage of taxis around. I save Grab for when there's a nice voucher or for emergencies eg no cash left or the odd late night Khaosan ride back to avoid the mafia.

I didn't think about linking my card... I'm going to check it.

I've a Bangkok Bank account with a Visa.

1 hour ago, anotherfarangishere said:

It was added, as extensions always are (fortunately !) : my visa was ending on Feb 14 and is now ending on Apr 15 (only 28 days in Feb).

For very first covid extension many folk had the 60 days start from the day they applied.

Subsequent extensions commenced from date of expiry of existing extension. 

3 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

It was added, as extensions always are (fortunately !) : my visa was ending on Feb 14 and is now ending on Apr 15 (only 28 days in Feb).

this is confusing part as ive been to two immigration offices and they both say they are not tacked onto end but from day of extension so i need to wait now until jan 25 to maximize days given.  mine expires feb 3.................im ok  with only the one covid extension.  im not here to game the systems the covid in my home country is bad right now

• Confused 2

13 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

No kidding ? ???? I believe you, but it's really weird.

I'm only relating the many threads that I have read.

No doubt someone will say that their first covid extension was dated from expiry of permit.

As usual immigration offices vary. 

Edited by DrJack54

18 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

No kidding ? ???? I believe you, but it's really weird.

seems odd.  that is what im finding as well but ive heard stories that on the final day of covid extensions sometimes they are more lenient. although i dont think individual immigration offices have leeway to alter rules as they see fit

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm only relating the many threads that I have read.

No doubt someone will say that their first covid extension was dated from expiry of permit.

As usual immigration offices vary.

I "tested" a lot of them before the pandemic - Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Phitsanulok, Nakon Ratchasima, Udon Thani... - and extensions were always from last day visa/visa exemption.

So, it seems a particularity for covid extension with some offices. Seems crazy as all people should want to wait for the last day to maximize their extension.

Hi everybody, first post here for me but I have read from time to time since I first come to Thailand 5 year ago.

In Pathum Thani yesterday jan 20th I applied for the 60-day covid extension, same as in this thread. But I got a “under consideration stamp” and must come back feb 4th.

Everything went smooth like when I got my 30-day extension last month

(i come on 60-day tourist visa in early nov) no questions asked about my paperwork. But now must to come back feb 4th exactly????

16 minutes ago, Pooreye said:

But now must to come back feb 4th exactly

The under consideration period is standard for the covid 19 extension. They have to be approved at the division level of immigration is the reason.

You can go a little earlier than the 4th or on Monday the 7th without a problem.