Current reentry requirements in Thailand

I'm retired and want to visit Switzerland for a short holiday (vaccinated so no PCR required now). I keep reading different stories about getting back into Thailand. Can someone clarify what the latest position is. I've heard we still have to PCR on arrival in BKK and stay one night quarantine? Is this right? thx

19 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Moved to the correct forum.

You have to obtain a "Thailand Pass" online for which you have to pre-book and pre-pay for 2 different nights (night of arrival and then night of day 5) at a hotel which offers "test and Go", this will include a PCR test on each of those days.

The site is https://tp.consular.go.th/ 

It is not yet open for "Test and Go" applications, will open sometime in the coming week after the new rules are published i nthe Royal Gazette

On the day of arrival it is complete quarantine in your room until the PCR test result comes back .

On day 5 you also must stay at the hotel until the result is in but unclear if you have to stay completely in your room. Between these 2 days i.e. days 1-4, you can go anywhere. If this sounds crazy - it is. New policy just announced. The day or arrival and day 5 T&G hotels do not have to be the same place, but you may  have trouble finding a T&G hotel upcountry. 

You will also have to show proof of health insurance to get the "Thailand Pass". Previously this has had to be at least US$50,000 of cover that includes COVID. There is discussion of possibly changing the details of this but it is not yet known if it will change and if so, how -- Test and Go was suspended in late December and will reopen Feb 1 and the final details are still unclear.

The above described the "Test and Go" system. It is also possible to enter Phuket and a few  other provinces under a "Sandbox scheme" . These also require 2 PCR tests, but you are free to go anywhere in the "sandbox" location (island etc) for 7 days and after that can go anywhere in the country.

Note that, under either scheme,  if on either the day or arrival of day 5 you test positive, all bets are off and you will face mandatory quarantine even if completely asymptomatic.

Things change very frequently and could easily change again between now and when you would return.

Frankly if this is just for vacation, I'd advise against it at this time.

I am thinking to do the same as OP, but the difference is that I already have Thai pass (arrived with it on Dec 13).

Do you know what happens in my case if I go for short holiday and come back to BKK?

I must also mention I am on METV and thus my holiday is kind of a visa run

7 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I am thinking to do the same as OP, but the difference is that I already have Thai pass (arrived with it on Dec 13).

You would have to apply for a new Thailand Pass. They are only valid for one entry.

29 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I must also mention I am on METV and thus my holiday is kind of a visa run

I assume your aware that you can apply for 30 day extension to each entry.

Pushing the trip out by a month might see some changes to borders. Doubt it.

METV unusual choice..

Well, it was either METV or STV. The latter seemed very hard to get.

I read somewhere that if you arrived before Dec 23rd, you need to stay only 1 night in quarantine hotel (instead of 2 stays, 2nd one being on 5th day) with the new Thai Pass when entering again. Is that true?

21 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Frankly if this is just for vacation, I'd advise against it at this time.

Why?

I went on holiday last August. If you accept the fact you may have to test & quarantine where you are going and then again when you come back what's the problem.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Requiem said:

I read somewhere that if you arrived before Dec 23rd, you need to stay only 1 night in quarantine hotel (instead of 2 stays, 2nd one being on 5th day) with the new Thai Pass when entering again. Is that true?

It was true in the past that T&G required only 1 night stay - you were still required to have the second test but not to quarantine in a hotel.

This was then suspended and no new applications were accepted.  They will start to accept applications again soon and these will apparently require the Day1 plus Day 5 bookings.

• Like 1

The site is https://tp.consular.go.th/ 

It is not yet open for "Test and Go" applications, will open sometime in the coming week after the new rules are published in the Royal Gazette

Hopefully before 30th because my son is returning from studies oversea to Phuket on February 1st. Just how long it takes to publish darn thing?

2 hours ago, BMW Overlander said:

Hopefully before 30th because my son is returning from studies oversea to Phuket on February 1st.

Test and Go applications will reportedly only re-start at 9:00am on February 1st.  Can he do a Sandbox application instead?

On 1/23/2022 at 7:02 PM, Sheryl said:

The day or arrival and day 5 T&G hotels do not have to be the same place, but you may  have trouble finding a T&G hotel upcountry. 

Sheryl,

What is the best way to  book a Test and go hotel once the new program is available?  I see a list on the link you published , is that the best way? Also where is the best site for getting the required covid health insurance?

Thank you.

Edited by neytil