Anyone recommend an eye doctor at Bkk/Pattaya Hospital?

giddyup

14 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Santa Methasiri MD is the man i see every 6 months for high pressure in both eyes. I will need cataracts done at some point but he never pushes it just says sometime in the future.

I saw a female doctor there about 3 years ago who said I needed cataract surgery, but I think she was drumming up business because my eyes have been OK until just recently.

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The point at which to have cataracts removed is when they start to interfere with your daily life. No sooner.

I thought if it's left too long for cataract removal it can cause permanent eye damage. I think it might be too many "floaters" that are causing me problems, and I don't think much can be done about that.

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I thought if it's left too long for cataract removal it can cause permanent eye damage. I think it might be too many "floaters" that are causing me problems, and I don't think much can be done about that.

It is not that it causes permanent eye damage but that, if you wait much too long, the cataracts get harder to remove. That would be well past the point where they start to interfere with daily activities.

See  https://focus.masseyeandear.org/whens-the-best-time-to-have-cataract-surgery/

If you have had a recent increase in number of floaters that alone warrants a thorough eye exam.  https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/eye-floaters/symptoms-causes/syc-20372346

The brain normally adapts to age-related floaters. If yours are making it hard to see for a long tiem there may be soemthing else going on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

If you have persistent and increasing floaters, you need to see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible. It could be a sign of a retinal tear or impending detachment. That's a medical emergency.

Most floaters are harmless, so I don't want to alarm you. But two members of my family had retinal detachments and it's a serious condition. Since I have a genetic risk for it, my ophthalmologist has instructed me about the warning signs. Please don't take any chances.

Paul Laew

• Like 1