Is There A Fedex In Chiangrai?

chownah

There's an imitation fedex company whose office is on the corner by the big hotel which controls most of the onstreet parking there but the last time I shipped something through them they just threw it on my friends porch (he wasn't home)and did not even phone him first or after....so I'm looking for another way to send some documents....is there a real fedex? I looked at their site and I think there probably isn't but just thought I'd ask.....or maybe there is some other alternative. Does the Thai post office do registered mail all the way to delivery in the US?...I kind of doubt it...and even if they did should I trust it?

Chownah

I think there's a FedEx/DHL shipper across the street from the bus station, down on the left-hand side a little. Haven't used them, tho. But I'll bet it'll be pricier than ever now, even for documents.

You might just consider sending it registered mail. Fee is only 55B extra in addition to the still very reasonable postage. Never had anything lost sending things to the States this way. And it remains registered even when it gets there, so it will require a signature the whole way to your recipient. Pretty good deal considering the cost of registered mail stateside.

In fact, you should always mail things via registered from Thailand to deter theft, and by 'Air' only, not 'Economy Air'. The latter takes much, much longer (sometimes up to 5 weeks vs. about 10 days or so for 'Air') and is not worth the money you save.

There is also the option of sending it EMS, in which case for documents it would probably take only about 4 days to the States and run you around 400 or 600B for 250g or 500g, respectively. No additional registration fee is required. It's included in the price. I have never used EMS myself but I believe this service is available at CR Main also, at the standard walk-up counters.

Also, it's advisable to arrange your schedule so that you do your mailing in the mid-afternoon, nearer 3pm, when there's little if any wait time at CR Main. Parking is easier, too. Mid-morning or mid-day, expect to take a number and warm a seat for a half-hour or so. That is, if you can find a place to park.

If you're nearer Bandu (north of the airport), then I recommend that post office hands down over CR Main. It's on the Superhighway, south-bound side, just before the main entrance to Ratchabat Tech College. Rarely any wait no matter what time of day and if you have a problem, the supervisor speaks good English.

Just a note. Registered from Thailand to Canada, and visa versa, ends somewhere between the two countries. you can only trace it until it leaves the respective country. I'm not sure if that's universal. We have used DHL and EMS and both are good but service is dismally slow between Asia and North America, both ways, compared to what we are used to.

Thanks for the replies and especially thanks to TakingAVacation...I checked out his lead today and sure enough there is a store which handles Fedex right across the street from the bus station where the buses exit the station.....and.....they only charge 850 baht for documents while the fake place I mentioned before charged 1000 baht!!! Hooray...almost assuredly better service and a cheaper price to boot!!!!....and convenient parking at the bus station!!!!!

Chownah

P.S. I am not connected to Fedex in any way and do not personally benefit from this promotion.....all offers void where prohibited.

Chownah

Thanks for the replies and especially thanks to TakingAVacation...I checked out his lead today and sure enough there is a store which handles Fedex right across the street from the bus station where the buses exit the station.....and.....they only charge 850 baht for documents while the fake place I mentioned before charged 1000 baht!!! Hooray...almost assuredly better service and a cheaper price to boot!!!!....and convenient parking at the bus station!!!!!

Chownah

P.S. I am not connected to Fedex in any way and do not personally benefit from this promotion.....all offers void where prohibited.

Chownah

Chownah

Have not been around for the past year but previous 3 years had to regularly send important documents from CR to the US. I used the fake FedEx which was/is (TNT). Never had a problem until they went whacky with the price. Switched to the Post Office via EMS. Alllot cheaper and never once had a problem. Anyway sounds like you are sorted. Just my 2 cents worth.

• 3 months later...

I have long wanted to ship a package of stuff from this area and Mae Sai (smallish items, souvenirs, trinkets, etc.) to North America. Does anyone know of the best/cheapest/securest way to do this - or is it not possible? Any details/info would be appreciated.

SeeJo

As someone who has been shipping from here to the USA for 7 years (and blowing my own horn the while!)

I recommend the FedEx across from the bus station. Been friends with them for years, and much enjoy my chats there.

As for the P.O., shipping by sea is indeed cheaper. But packages get weakened - offering opportunity for looting by postal workers - believe me, it has happened!

Books can be sent book rate, which is nice, and anything else which is unlikely to be damaged or is ble to be packed really well can go by P.O. - indeed, until you're up to about 20 kilos, their rates are more than competative. But for over 20 kilos, you really want to go FedEx.

The UPS in ChiangMai is highly recommended by Australian friends in my same handicrafts business.

Cotton for packing can be purchased at the drug store on the bus station side of that street, and bubble pack at a store immediately across from FedEx. The owner there is a delightful fellow with perfect English! 4 meters, B100.

(cotton - must be surgical grade to pass customs, at least to Australia anyway - a roll with lots B55)

be sure to make an accurate listing including what objects sent are made from.