Bank letter for O-Retirement visa

Am planning to apply for an O-retirement visa shortly after arriving in Bangkok.  I already have a thai bank account and will have transferred sufficient to cover the THB800,000 plus some living expenses prior to my arrival.    I understand that I need to obtain 2 documents from my thai bank.  The first being proof that funds originated from overseas and the second being a bank guarantee letter.   Also I read that these documents need to be dated the same date of my O-Visa application at Immigration.    Given I also have a bank book can I get the confirmation letter that funds originated from overseas a few days before going to immigration as am not sure that the bank will give me this on the same day I request it.   If I then need to show funds in my account on the day of application could I just make a token withdrawal via the ATM and then have my bank book updated as proof of funds instead of trying to obtain a bank guarantee letter?   If the bank guarantee letter is still required can this be obtained a few days before attending immigration as long as I bring my updated bank book as well?  Thank you. 

12 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Am planning to apply for an O-retirement visa shortly after arriving in Bangkok

If your obtaining your non O at Chaengwattana immigration Bangkok be aware that most of banks (apart from SCB) have branches on lover level.

Easy to obtain bank letter on the same day. You can make a small deposit at same time as obtaining the bank letter. Don't just update. CW like to see "activity" on day of application. 

Prior to that check the coding of your foreign transfer with the bank. Should be FFT code. 

Did you use WISE to transfer. 

Edited by DrJack54

You can get the proof the funds came from abroad a few days before you apply.

Most immigration offices will accept a letter from the bank confirming your account done the day before you apply. The guarantee wording is not really what it is.

The will want a copy of your bank bood updated on the day you apply.

I recently renewed my visa extension here in Pattaya and the bank was able to do all in under 15 minutes (after waiting aprox 10 mins), the lady must have dealt with a lot of falangs doing the same because she knew exactly what I needed and even said I need to make a transaction (100b deposit) the same day and then photocopy my passbook. 200b total for the two letters.

• Like 1

Thank you for the clarification.  I don’t have a Wise account setup and would be a bit apprehensive transferring a large amount via this method as am not familiar with it.  My intention is therefore to just do a wire transfer from my Hong Kong bank account and ask the local Thai bank for confirmation that the funds arrived from abroad when I visit the bank.   Presumably aside from the higher fees this is acceptable too?  

15 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thank you for the clarification.  I don’t have a Wise account setup and would be a bit apprehensive transferring a large amount via this method as am not familiar with it.  My intention is therefore to just do a wire transfer from my Hong Kong bank account and ask the local Thai bank for confirmation that the funds arrived from abroad when I visit the bank.   Presumably aside from the higher fees this is acceptable too?  

Yes obtain that confirmation prior to attending CW and still do the bank letter etc as outlined previously. 

Just to note. You have your plan for transfer organized so all good.

Be aware that WISE is a most common means of international transfers to Thailand. 

Would be safe to say the go to method for many. 

There is forum with detailed advice.

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't just update. CW like to see "activity" on day of application. 

Have never done more than update passbook/obtain letter as BBL passbook does not require activity to update and no mention of it from CW officers (been doing since immigration moved there).

5 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Have never done more than update passbook/obtain letter as BBL passbook does not require activity to update and no mention of it from CW officers (been doing since immigration moved there).

Whatever.

I was asked once (first time) to make deposit into my account on the day. 

The bb had been updated.

I will stick with that process at CW.

Takes zero effort as I always obtain bank letter on the day of application at CW. 

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Whatever.

I was asked once (first time) to make deposit into my account on the day. 

The bb had been updated.

I will stick with that process at CW.

Takes zero effort as I always obtain bank letter on the day of application at CW. 

Perhaps this for money in account?  I have money in account but use income method so the account only serves to prove income.  Sorry for my confusing subject - but that seems to become more common as the years pass by.  ????

Edited by lopburi3

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps this for money in account?  I have money in account but use income method so the account only serves to prove income.  Sorry for my confusing subject - but that seems to become more common as the years pass by.  ????

I use money in bank method.

40 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

All good, Lop. And glad to see you’re still knocking around the forums. ????

Maybe I miss something Although you already have a Thai Bank account the 800,000 has to be seasoned prior to application unless prior to transfer and application there is already the 800,000 baht?

At Jomtien in Pattaya told many times if using the 800,000 method they don't care where it is from also like the last 15 years the pass 3 in particular I go to the bank at 3pm make a deposit book updated after it is handed back I tell the teller I now need a letter for immigration hand them a hundred baht 15 minutes later I'm done.  I go down the road for insurance purpose and make copies of all the pages to the book sign each page paper clip them all to letter.  

Next morning Just done 20 Jan arrived 7am usually I'm #1-5 this time 25 ahead if me by 8:45 I'm in #2 for window 8, lady runs through everything Looks up smile take my 1900 baht hands me a number come back 2days later to pick very busy. 

When it comes to the bank letter Jomtien consider 24 hours from the time it is obtained

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Maybe I miss something Although you already have a Thai Bank account the 800,000 has to be seasoned prior to application unless prior to transfer and application there is already the 800,000 baht?

The OP will be applying for a Non O retirement. 

The 800k in bank on day of application only and be shown to have come from o/s.

Next he will apply for annual extension. The 800k must be in bank for two months prior to application. 

Note funds for extensions do not need to be shown to be from o/s. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

What if the funds have not come from abroad?

Unless the money has been in the bank for "some period of time" then the application would/could be rejected.

The funds already in the bank for some time could occur when for example there previous extension retirement etc and then now a new application.

Note that for a non O marriage the funds do not need to be shown to have come from o/s.

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thanks for the comments.   If I prefer to just wire the funds from my bank in Hong Kong a month prior to my arrival.  Will K bank then be able to verify the funds arrived from overseas for me?

Yes

Please can I check something as I asked a similar question regarding the 800k a few weeks ago but got slightly different responses to this thread.

My thread is below - the only difference I can see is that my visa is an OA and this thread refers to an O - so were the replies to my query correct, ie for an OA visa you DON'T have to prove the funds came from abroad but you do for an O visa?

1 minute ago, TimF said:

Please can I check something as I asked a similar question regarding the 800k a few weeks ago but got slightly different responses to this thread.

My thread is below - the only difference I can see is that my visa is an OA and this thread refers to an O - so were the replies to my query correct, ie for an OA visa you DON'T have to prove the funds came from abroad but you do for an O visa?

7 minutes ago, TimF said:

You already have the non immigrant visa so only need money for extensions of stay and if using 800k in bank there is no need for foreign source proof.  This thread is about getting non immigrant O visa from immigration (before extensions).  Once here on non immigrant visa he will not need to provide foreign source proof for extensions.

30 minutes ago, TimF said:

DON'T have to prove the funds came from abroad but you do for an O visa?

As lopburi3 already pointed out. 

This proof of funds from o/s is not required for extensions.

It's only required for non O retirement applications in Thailand.

Non O marriage applications do not have that requirement. 

However this is not the OP case, but keep in mind that you shall be asked for something unusual. 
A week ago, 
I was asked for bank statement for non-o  800,000 "extension". Never been asked before and the IO insisted that I need to get one for my extension !!!, but next IO asked for my old bank book !!! needed to see more than a year history of fund in my "CD" bank account !!!! Fortunately I did not have to get a statement (it won't happen in one or 2 days), but I had to go back next day and show my old book+a signed copy of it. 
Unexpected surprises. Even though you believe that your papers are in right order (because of last extension). 

• Confused 1

Thanks for the post.  For my first extension funds the required THB amount will only have been in the account for around 4 months, although there are other funds that have been in the account for over 2 years so hopefully the updated bank book will suffice.  

5 minutes ago, HKexpat said:

Thanks for the post.  For my first extension funds the required THB amount will only have been in the account for around 4 months, although there are other funds that have been in the account for over 2 years so hopefully the updated bank book will suffice.  

That should not be a problem for first extension as 2 months is minimum - but once using 800k for extensions money must remain at 800k for 3 months after extension and 400k always and then 800k 2 months before next extension application.  

On 1/27/2022 at 4:35 PM, DrJack54 said:

The OP will be applying for a Non O retirement. 

The 800k in bank on day of application only and be shown to have come from o/s.

Next he will apply for annual extension. The 800k must be in bank for two months prior to application. 

Note funds for extensions do not need to be shown to be from o/s. 

I was told that when applying it is 2 months . When extending it is 3 months in the account.

I'm in the process of doing it at present.

16 minutes ago, Letseng said:

I was told that when applying it is 2 months . When extending it is 3 months in the account.

I'm in the process of doing it at present.

What I stated is correct.

So yes 800k in the bank on day of application for a non O.

Then 800k in bank for 2 months seasoned  prior to application for extension.

Followed by maintaining 800k for the following 3 months.

Then not below 400k after that and back up to 800k two months prior to next extension based on retirement. 

Edited by DrJack54