Does my accountant scams me?

Short story, since i have my workpermit (8 years now) every year my accountant, charges me 10k per time to renew my workpermit, this year she even claim the "chief" of the work department only allow 2 years now, so i paid 20k.

My company is in order, no issues or whatsoever, so i wonder why i have to pay so much?

Any experiences?

Either you call and ask the work permit department if their rules has changed or wait till next year and see if she charge you again that is if doesn't do runner and come up with an excuse to bilk you for more money.. I'd can the work permit office to ask, anyone can do it...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Either you call and ask the work permit department if their rules has changed or wait till next year and see if she charge you again that is if doesn't do runner and come up with an excuse to bilk you for more money.. I'd can the work permit office to ask, anyone can do it...

The permit will have an expiration date.. Easy enough to actually look at it. 

As Preacher mentions above, there is a charge for the work permit plus her fees.

Personally i don't think 10,000 THB/year is a scam, there is a lot of paper work involved. Only thing i would question is the statement that 1 year permits are no longer available. They most certainly are, however surely it's better doing this every 2 years rather than 1 ?

7 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

As Preacher mentions above, there is a charge for the work permit plus her fees.

Personally i don't think 10,000 THB/year is a scam, there is a lot of paper work involved. Only thing i would question is the statement that 1 year permits are no longer available. They most certainly are, however surely it's better doing this every 2 years rather than 1 ?

Indeed some expats seem to think people should work for free 10.000 a year given the price is not much. However that it went up to 20k is a bit strange the reason is strange. Maybe something lost in translation.

Otherwise it could be a scam and time to look for a new accountant (could be a hassle)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Indeed some expats seem to think people should work for free 10.000 a year given the price is not much. However that it went up to 20k is a bit strange the reason is strange. Maybe something lost in translation.

Otherwise it could be a scam and time to look for a new accountant (could be a hassle)

Total yearly cost to OP still unchanged because for 20K he doubled the validity (2 years work permit). 

Edited by sanmyintmaung

2 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

Total yearly cost to OP still unchanged because for 20K he doubled the validity (2 years work permit). 

If that is true then no problem but it seems the OP thinks its just for one year ? If its for 2 years then it seems the right price.

Company lawyer (outsider) just renewed my WP for 1 year.

Lots of documents need to be prepared, total 12 documents as per his list.

Gave my WP and passport to his staff and returned to me same day evening.

Total bill almost 25K, paid by company.

Almost same amount like 2 previous renewal.

Not from BOI company can get 2 years WP?

3 hours ago, robblok said:

If that is true then no problem but it seems the OP thinks its just for one year ? If its for 2 years then it seems the right price.

Yes 2 years, but the paperwork is same, so still 10k extra for another year...

• Like 1

Despite the government Fees being only ~3000 baht, I was happy to pay  12'000 THB a year, it was convenient for me as I never had to visit the Labor office ever (unless book was full) and everything was done by post.

I think 20'000 baht for the 2 years is pushing the limits a bit though.

18 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

Despite the government Fees being only ~3000 baht, I was happy to pay  12'000 THB a year, it was convenient for me as I never had to visit the Labor office ever (unless book was full) and everything was done by post.

Thats a great deal, Despite my WP being handled by HR every two years I still need to present myself on collection day to smile an wai the pen pusher on the other side of the desk.

One stop place in Sriracha, they do my permission to stay extension at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Satcommlee said:

You were paying 24,000 baht for 2 years but 20,000 baht is too high?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Can't say to be honest, one of the HR girls here does mine !

Yes, it's quite easy to do it yourself.

Application form is available in English and is very easy to complete. You complete it in English.

You need a couple of basic company documents (they don't need to have any confidential info.) 

Basic documents from yourself.

Lodge the application, they don't bite. If lodged early eough you can usually pick up the book with new entry same day. Can be different/a bit longer in some locations of course.

You pay the actual fee when you pick it up, there are some different fees but usually around 1,000Baht/1,800Baht for 1 year extension. If everything is in order (difficult to not be in order), there's no negotiation etc. and don't believe anybody who tells you the application has to be submitted by a lawyer etc. Not true.

But what about extension of your visa. Is your accountant including that in the charges to you? 

You mention '....only allow 2 years now....' Unless i'm way out of date it's never been avaiable longer than 2 years, and in most cases it's 1 year.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Always found the Labour Dept very helpful & never had a hassle with them. Just paid the fees .

Used to get a 3 year W/P.

Are you sure all is in order, correct amount of employees, correct registerd salaries etc ? Maybe she needs to "cook the books" a little to qualify things 

• Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 7:33 AM, kralledr said:

Short story, since i have my workpermit (8 years now) every year my accountant, charges me 10k per time to renew my workpermit, this year she even claim the "chief" of the work department only allow 2 years now, so i paid 20k.

My company is in order, no issues or whatsoever, so i wonder why i have to pay so much?

Is it only the Work Permit or does it include your yearly extension of stay?

I Pay my law firm 23,000 yearly for My Extension of stay, Including Multi Entry stamp, and WP is included in the fee.

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

Is it only the Work Permit or does it include your yearly extension of stay?

I Pay my law firm 23,000 yearly for My Extension of stay, Including Multi Entry stamp, and WP is included in the fee.

Only wp...