Thailand Road Carnage: 750cc bike slams into Vios crossing the road - two dead two injured

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: 77kaoded

77kaoded reported on a horrific smash on Pahonyothin Road, KM marker 290, in Muang district of Chainat in central Thailand.

A Suzuki GSX-R750 had slammed into a black Toyota Vios whose female driver was trying to cross the main road to the other side.

The superbike slammed into the door of the Vios trapping the driver.

Despite the attention of rescue teams driver Orn-uma, 42, died at the scene from head trauma.

010265บิ๊กไบค์ชนเก๋งตาย2เจ็บ2_7.jpg

The bike rider had multiple injuries and was already dead.

He was named as 40 year old Pheeraphan from Nakhon Sawan. 

Two occupants of the car Chirawit, 44 and and a boy called Thanakorn were taken to hospital with injuries. 

When the wife of the motorcyclist arrived on the scene she suspected the worst when she moved the white sheet.

She gasped saying: "I told him not to come".

010265บิ๊กไบค์ชนเก๋งตาย2เจ็บ2_4.jpg

She explained that her husband was a mechanic known as Joon who was with two biker buddies. She had warned him not to ride such a big machine but he wouldn't listen. 

The people in the car were going home after attending a funeral.  

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-02

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 7

7 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Very sad.

But nothing to do with the size of the bike. They only go as fast as you twist the throttle. They're not wild horses with a mind of their own.

Looks like the Vios was doing the old "Pull onto the highway and get straight into the outside lane while still doing 10kph to make a U turn" trick. Probably while simultaneously perfecting the "No need to look if I do it slow" routine.

I've lost count the amount of times I've had to brake hard in the outer lane for this very reason and without being misogynistic its nearly always women.

Edited by Chelseafan
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I've lost count the amount of times I've had to brake hard in the outer lane for this very reason and without being misogynistic its nearly always women.

When we see a U-turn comes up, we slow down a little bit try to read the traffic from any possible horisontal angle,  be ready and wait for it. 

My experience Thai drivers do not slow down before they have to, and often to late if they believe they have the right on their side. 

Anyway, the traffic from behind is always responsible for the traffic in front. Golden rule in Thailand

2 hours ago, SS1 said:

Not entirely sure from the photos, but looks like another idiot driver cutting accross 3 lines straight to cross the road through a u-turn. 

Looking at the photo, it looks like a perfect broadside, she was a dumb driver not aware of her actions, and the rider was obviously using too much gas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

It's a forum so deal with it. Based on our experience driving/riding on the roads here we face potential threats like this regularly. It's only natural we will say what we believe happened on a forum. 

Without any real evidence? Moved to ASEAN now jury forum.

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Anyway, the traffic from behind is always responsible for the traffic in front. Golden rule in Thailand

For sure but its the responsibility of the driver coming onto the motorway to give way and only proceed when its safe. Some of these veichles are so old that they don't have the ability to pick up speed quickly and shouldnt be on the road full stop

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

When we see a U-turn comes up, we slow down a little bit try to read the traffic from any possible horisontal angle,  be ready and wait for it. 

My experience Thai drivers do not slow down before they have to, and often to late if they believe they have the right on their side. 

My rule is to indicate very early when entering a u-turn and reduce speed slowly...

5 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Very sad.

But nothing to do with the size of the bike. They only go as fast as you twist the throttle. They're not wild horses with a mind of their own.

Looks like the Vios was doing the old "Pull onto the highway and get straight into the outside lane while still doing 10kph to make a U turn" trick. Probably while simultaneously perfecting the "No need to look if I do it slow" routine.

agree, very sad.

not sure anyone was blaming the bike, or the car.

1 hour ago, Chelseafan said:

For sure but its the responsibility of the driver coming onto the motorway to give way and only proceed when its safe. Some of these veichles are so old that they don't have the ability to pick up speed quickly and shouldnt be on the road full stop

For mine and yours sake, you do not take it for granted. This something that happens quite often, and if you do not pay attention to it, it can be the last thing you do. 

So many distractions that it is easy to loose focus

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2long said:

Almost certainly a combination of speed (I'm not saying how fast) and the driver either not looking properly or not being able to see properly... or at least not being able to judge the speed of the bike properly.

RIP to both involved.

Will others learn from this? I guess not, but hope so.

Female car driver xing the road...

Says a lot to me. 1 jand on the phone, chatting with passengers about the food at the funeral and moving at snail speed...

Just thinking

14 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

If you read the car was crossing a main road, the motorbike rider was riding on the main road. 

The picture shows a whooping great dent in the side of the car made by the motorbike.

How much more evidence do you need.

It's the classic 'T' bone crash scenario not rocket science.

Absurd. What speed was the bike travelling at? What were the driving conditions? It takes 2 to t-bone. Without a proper accident investigation, you can write this stuff any way you want.

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

Absurd. What speed was the bike travelling at? What were the driving conditions? It takes 2 to t-bone. Without a proper accident investigation, you can write this stuff any way you want.

You make no sense whatsoever.

You are obviously not a a regular road user. 

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

You make no sense whatsoever.

You are obviously not a a regular road user. 

15 years driving a black cab in London. 0 points on my licence. What bit of "you have no idea what you're talking about" don't you understand?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, alien365 said:

It's a forum so deal with it. Based on our experience driving/riding on the roads here we face potential threats like this regularly. It's only natural we will say what we believe happened on a forum. 

But saying it doesn't make it a fact..... 

On 2/3/2022 at 7:40 AM, bradiston said:

The local BIB would have completed a full and thorough investigation - - easy to see cause, bike hit car in door. 

On 2/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, JonnyF said:

The bigger the bike, the faster they go.  If he was on a smaller bike, he would not have been able to go as fast.  Limit the size of bike people are allowed to drive, limit the speed they can reach.

So no, not nothing to do with the size of the bike.

54 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Nobody ever said it did. We're simply giving our opinions on a forum. If nobody posted their opinions there would be no forums to read. 

And the sky might fall in as well. 

• Sad 1