2005/6 Honda Phantom

jimmym40

HI All,

Thanks to those who posted pros/cons about the Honda/Kawa topic.

I'm leaning towards the Honda Phantom, but would like to hear from those who own one and now wish they hadn't or can tell me about any negative aspects of the bike.

I now own a 3-4 yr old Kawa Boss 175 and it seems to be to be a bit clumsy. Not much to compare it to besides riding a 5 yr old Honda 200cc and sitting on a nice brand new Phantom in the showroom.

Please respond, I'm going to make a decision in the next few days.

Thanks.

Hi When first came to Thailand again last year I bought a 2006 Phantom. It has never let me down. Its been all over Thailand with both me,the wife and loads of luggage. I then got a bigger bike and the wife now runs it. I cant knock it in any way. Good engine, good MPG reliable easy to service, rides lovely and looks a lot bigger than it is. For the money I dont think you can go wrong. You can also customise it very cheaply as add-ons are available at most bike shops. Go for the Phantom an enjoy!!!!

I bought my 2005 new and have about 50,000 clicks on it. It has been one of the best bikes I have ever owned (and I have owned hundreds of differant models). Light, agile, easy to stop (important) yet wide and solid enough to tour on within reasonable limits. Can squeeze through traffic readily enough. A ###### fine bike for Bangkok or the outlands.

Downside:

Transmission shifts like a bag of broken marbles. I think thats common, works but you can tell its nothing precise or lovely in there.

Batteries, chains and those types of thing are consumable and go bad quickly. Cheap to fix and I think thats pretty standard for all the rockets.

No fuel guage on the older ones, I think thats been fixed. I mean come on Honda, even the little rockets have a fuel guage.

I like the self canceling turn signals on the new models. Not a big thing on the older models, turn signals are rather confusing to Thai traffic systems, best not to use them at all.

That horn is a joke, get a real horn retrofit.

All in all an excellent choice, you wont be sorry.

I rate the Phantom as a really nice bike.

Just wish it was a little bigger, size and engine wise.

Two up it needs stronger rear shocks.

My behind starts to ache after about about 30 km's but then I dont have much padding there.

I had a 150CC Phantom that was slightly older (about 2yr or so) which was a kick start. I found it a very reliable bike & I've since moved up the CC ladder now on my 4th bike. I've since come to regret letting the Phantom go

I bought my 2005 new and have about 50,000 clicks on it. It has been one of the best bikes I have ever owned (and I have owned hundreds of differant models). Light, agile, easy to stop (important) yet wide and solid enough to tour on within reasonable limits. Can squeeze through traffic readily enough. A ###### fine bike for Bangkok or the outlands.

Downside:

Transmission shifts like a bag of broken marbles. I think thats common, works but you can tell its nothing precise or lovely in there.

Batteries, chains and those types of thing are consumable and go bad quickly. Cheap to fix and I think thats pretty standard for all the rockets.

No fuel guage on the older ones, I think thats been fixed. I mean come on Honda, even the little rockets have a fuel guage.

I like the self canceling turn signals on the new models. Not a big thing on the older models, turn signals are rather confusing to Thai traffic systems, best not to use them at all.

That horn is a joke, get a real horn retrofit.

All in all an excellent choice, you wont be sorry.

Yea the horn does sound like a kids bicycle bell.Not going to get a Dog or Buffullo out of the road or be heard very well by other drivers & forget about a car or truck with a bangin sound system. It can be upgraded with a Kawasaki Boss horn. It is very loud or even a Honda waveHorn would sound louder & the newer trannies are geared to be slower than molasses

Edited by Beardog

HI All,

I'm leaning towards the Honda Phantom, but would like to hear from those who own one and now wish they hadn't or can tell me about any negative aspects of the bike.

I now own a 3-4 yr old Kawa Boss 175 and it seems to be to be a bit clumsy. Not much to compare it to besides riding a 5 yr old Honda 200cc and sitting on a nice brand new Phantom in the showroom.

Thanks.

Heres a boss ( oh yes it is ! ) i saw in a shop in pattaya today, it fooled me for all of oh 30 seconds, its a harley look alike as you have never seen before, i bet you can time the 0-60 with a calendar !,. 130.000 baht buys you this hardley ferguson look alike and wouldnt it look great outside the TQ, warning, you may have to put on weight, have a few tattos and grow a beard to ride this around !

post-41326-1181748414_thumb.jpg

I had a 150CC Phantom that was slightly older (about 2yr or so) which was a kick start. I found it a very reliable bike & I've since moved up the CC ladder now on my 4th bike. I've since come to regret letting the Phantom go
The older ones were 2 stroke and went like he ll !

The older ones were 2 stroke and went like he ll !

Agreed !!! Mike , on the GT site is there any info on a good GPS system ? I'm looking to stick one on my CB 750 but am unsure which is the best or should I say practical..by the way, great picture of the "Harley" !!!

Edited by chavy

My partner bought a 2007 Phantom 200 about six months ago and is very pleased. It holds up very well, no problems. I rode it once and thought, "Yep, it's a chopper." I prefer my CBR150, and haven't ridden the Phantom since, except on the pillion.

What was you expecting it to be ? The CBR 150 is also an excellant bike but I wouldn't compare the two though.

HI All,

Thanks.

Heres a boss ( oh yes it is ! ) i saw in a shop in pattaya today, it fooled me for all of oh 30 seconds, its a harley look alike as you have never seen before, i bet you can time the 0-60 with a calendar !,. 130.000 baht buys you this hardley ferguson look alike and wouldnt it look great outside the TQ, warning, you may have to put on weight, have a few tattos and grow a beard to ride this around !

That Boss looks like <deleted> . I wouldn't be caught dead riding that. I looked at a Boss that had looked similar Except the yellow is a repaint for sure as Kawasaki never offered yellow in the earlier model& (that is definitely an older redone rat ) & the new 2007's come in red & black Red & silver Silver & black& silver in red. I saw The silver 2006 in pats on central road next to Carrefore The one full dress(what a joke) Had if you can believe it actual Harley footrests,hard bags crash bar kit fog lites.

all for a 175. It weighs probably an extra 25 kilo's. could barely hold it up. it was 90,000 baht a new stock one without all the crap they couldn't pawn off on any Harley or Harley wannabees is only 77,5000 baht & you can negotiate extra's but hard to get the price down as they assemble them in Rayong & do not give much to the dealers. I gather. If you want a Harley buy a real mans Harley both the dogs & the people in Pattaya would be urinating on it!! OOOOH that is one ugly paint job. I can't imagine what he was on when the owner decided "lets paint this bike ummm the color of a 1971 Ford Ltd & while where at it put some cheesy striping on it.I think it needs 5 more kilo"s of chrome to ahhh thats the ticket!

The new series looks like the 1990 1000 Kawasaki LTD . Pretty sweet. & the handle bars are less

ape hangerish & not as wide as the earlier predecessor.

Edited by Beardog

Hi Mike, I think I would quit riding altogether if I was forced to ride that Roach! whooo doggie someone got some bad taste & a misguided sense of judgement!

Thanks for the great yellow submarine!

I haven't got a laugh like that since auto body school in 1976 & one of the jokers decided to paint his 66 Chevy 11 with pink paint & mixed laquer thinner with enamel paint & created a wonderful pink swirly spiderweb when the 2 types of materials came out of the gun!!!!(well 3 with the hardener)

see you soon

Barry

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed !!! Mike , on the GT site is there any info on a good GPS system ? I'm looking to stick one on my CB 750 but am unsure which is the best or should I say practical..by the way, great picture of the "Harley" !!!

Hi Chavy

Is this the GPS you are after? :o

post-24662-1184417601_thumb.jpg

TBWG :D

With acknowledgement to Tilapia