AIS Roaming packages changed.

phetphet

It used to be that the clock started ticking when you first used the SIM (SIM2Fly) in a foreign country. (I've used AIS and DTAC travel SIMs).

AIS SIm2Fly T's and C's

The data roaming package will start counting the validity days when the customer has made a connection in the designated countries. Validity will be calculated on a 24-hour basis starting on the date and time of the first connection as stated in the confirmation SMS.

https://www.ais.th/roaming/sim2fly/en/index.html

But it sounds like you subscribed to an add-on package (Ready2Fly) to your existing pre-paid? or post-paid AIS SIM using a code ( * 1 1 1 * 4 0 9 # )
?

In this case then yes, clock starts from activation.

The package duration begins from the day of activation and ends on the last day of the package, calculated per full day (+24 hours) according to Thai time.

Maybe ring them up and ask them to reset this? I think they will do this. (I'm guessing you're postpaid so got the 899++VAT added to your current bill?)

And note this requirement:

Customers must have international roaming enabled before applying for the Ready2Fly package.

Enable IR: *125# SEND

Consider enabling WiFi Calling, if you think (after review) it will be useful for you.

https://www.ais.th/4g/vowifi/en/

• Like 1

really useful post this as I am travelling to Europe shortly and AIS subscriber .  I need the AIS roaming package initially in order to be able to show the Mor Prom App with my vaccination status for entry acceptance but then once in the country I will buy a local SIM and stop using the roaming package .

I am at my wits end with DTAC due to lack of coverage and deceptive marketing and billing. I am a post paid customer for 6 years (no ridicule please). I was planning to switch to AIS. I need minimal voice, unlimited data, no throttling like DTAc. It appears you have done significant homework on AIS plans. Any advice?

3 minutes ago, RayOday said:

Any advice?

You want to port your number from DTAC to AIS?

Postpaid to postpaid?

What is your current plan with DTAC?

You want a similar plan?

Budget?

There are quite a few options, would suggest that you are in the best position to choose as you know your own requirements?

https://www.ais.th/move-to-ais/en/

Thanks for your  response. Much appreciated.

I am free to leave DTAC at any time without penalty. I have always paid at month end, so post paid. I don't know if there is any benefit to porting or why. I currently from 350 to 600 per month depending on any add-ons due to throttling during the last week of some months.

Edited by RayOday

27 minutes ago, RayOday said:

I don't know if there is any benefit to porting or why.

With porting you get to keep the same number. Most want to keep the same number. Some folks do not.

28 minutes ago, RayOday said:

I currently from 350 to 600 per month depending on any add-ons due to throttling during the last week of some months.

Based on what little detail you've let slip, you might be better off with a prepaid plan. 

Good luck.

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

It used to be that the clock started ticking when you first used the SIM (SIM2Fly) in a foreign country. (I've used AIS and DTAC travel SIMs).

AIS SIm2Fly T's and C's

The data roaming package will start counting the validity days when the customer has made a connection in the designated countries. Validity will be calculated on a 24-hour basis starting on the date and time of the first connection as stated in the confirmation SMS.

But it sounds like you subscribed to an add-on package (Ready2Fly) to your existing pre-paid? or post-paid AIS SIM using a code ( * 1 1 1 * 4 0 9 # )
?

The package duration begins from the day of activation and ends on the last day of the package, calculated per full day (+24 hours) according to Thai time.

Maybe ring them up and ask them to reset this? I think they will do this. (I'm guessing you're postpaid so got the 899++VAT added to your current bill?)

Customers must have international roaming enabled before applying for the Ready2Fly package.

Consider enabling WiFi Calling, if you think (after review) it will be useful for you.

I am on a 1-2-Call package.

I have always bought roaming packages through the AIS app and set the start time.

When I looked yesterday for roaming data packages for the UK, I was getting "no roaming packages found for this destination." So I went to the website and found the Ready2Fly ones you mention and chose one of those.

I might turn on the voice over WiFi, while I am away.

I previously turned it off because when I was getting calls from friends in the the UK, here in Thailand, the calls were cutting off after three rings, before I could even answer the phone.

Also I couldn't return the calls because the numbers shown were not the caller's number, but some strange numbers that either didn't exist or were never answered.

But I will visit AIS shop today to see if they can change the start time of my package.

Thanks

1 hour ago, RayOday said:

Thanks for your  response. Much appreciated.

I am free to leave DTAC at any time without penalty. I have always paid at month end, so post paid. I don't know if there is any benefit to porting or why. I currently from 350 to 600 per month depending on any add-ons due to throttling during the last week of some months.

It's less hassle to keep the same phone number. Especially for things like banking.

I am considering going from AIS prepaid to postpaid. For the simple reason that their 5G packages give me more for less money than what I am paying now on a 4G package.

i have been with them for years and have always been happy with the service. Reception has been pretty good everywhere I have been in Thailand, Just my experience.

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

AIS SIm2Fly T's and C's

?

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

You want to port your number from DTAC to AIS?

Postpaid to postpaid?

What is your current plan with DTAC?

You want a similar plan?

Budget?

There are quite a few options, would suggest that you are in the best position to choose as you know your own requirements?

https://www.ais.th/move-to-ais/en/

Thanks for the explanation. I will definitely port my existing number. I only use my phone for news, reading, email, and GPS. No gaming. Not sure I see any benefit to 5G. Using a Samsung Note 20. I typically prefer post paid. One really irritating observation about DTAC is that each month the estimate my bill at 1300+ baht for advance payment and the invoice usually comes in at less than 400 baht. I take a screenshot of that BS each month. It appears, unless I am confused, that they like the excess cash flow at the clients' expense. Thanks again.