Help needed RE: my situation

I returned to Thailand from USA right before the covid 19 restrictions hit (before this I was doing border runs to remain indefinitely or at least as long as I could Since 2019) Since then I’ve been staying here on covid amnesty and then 60 day covid extensions. My question is, on which visa scheme did I enter on? Was this simply a Visa on arrival? I never went to any embassy, I simply booked a flight and entered Thailand the same as I first did. 

The news of covid extensions entering their last round has me asking a couple questions:

- is this likely to change or be flipped flop, or within this time period, land borders be opened to pre-covid style border runs?

- Can this be extended once more so that I can remain until May? Current stamp expires March 25

- What are my options for a long term, at least 1 year long stay visa, from let’s assuming is a visa-on-arrival visa? I don’t know my initial stamp was visa on arrival, or a tourist visa, and was converted into some kind of other visa, maybe a covid visa or certain other type of visa: Is it possible to convert this type of Visa into a ED visa or VOLUNTEER visa within Thailand, or any kind of long term visa that IS NOT a retiree or marriage visa?

- Let’s say I have to leave on or before March 25, what is my best path back into staying long term here? Would it be something like, return to USA, go to Thai embassy, obtain a tourist or whatever visa is best, and then fly to Thailand and convert this VISA into an ED or volunteer visa?

1 minute ago, problemfarang said:

you are asking the best way:

marry, get a non-o, use an agency or your economical status. Extend it.. ta ta

OR

find a work

you can change your covid visa thing to non-b or non-o  my friend just did that, he got covid visa and in 2 days he changed to non-b

What’s the financial requirements for marriage?

I am willing to use an agent. Non-B or Non-O; can these be converted into an education or volunteer visa?

I can buy one of these visas no problem 

Since you're from the USA you got a 30 day visa exempt entry.

A visa on arrival only allows 15 day stay for those from 18 countries and the US is not one of them and they cannot be extended or changed to a non immigrant visa.

You can get another 60 day covid 19 extension up to the 25th of March.

You could apply for a non-o visa based upon volunteer work or a non-ed visa for attending a formal school.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Since you're from the USA you got a 30 day visa exempt entry.

A visa on arrival only allows 15 day stay for those from 18 countries and the US is not one of them and they cannot be extended or changed to a non immigrant visa.

You can get another 60 day covid 19 extension up to the 25th of March.

You could apply for a non-o visa based upon volunteer work or a non-ed visa for attending a formal school.

Ok, so it sounds like my situation isn’t as bleak as I thought.

From this information it seems like I can convert this covid visa / Visa exempt entry into a proper long term visa. I will look into this immediately. It sounds like I should contact an agent of some sorts, right?

8 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

It is 400k baht in the bank for 2 months in a Thai bank or pro0f 40k baht income by way of transfers into a Thai from aboard every month.

8 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I am willing to use an agent. Non-B or Non-O; can these be converted into an education or volunteer visa?

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories while in the country. You can only change a different type of extension of stay.

6 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

From this information it seems like I can convert this covid visa / Visa exempt entry into a proper long term visa. I will look into this immediately. It sounds like I should contact an agent of some sorts, right?

You could apply for a non immigrant visa and then a extension of stay near the end of the 90 day stay it allows.

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You could apply for a non immigrant visa and then a extension of stay near the end of the 90 day entry it allows.

is that 90+90 days?

I can afford the marriage visa it seems, I still need to leave the country to get this? 

I need to know the best option for staying here without leaving the country at the moment.

2 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

is that 90+90 days?
I can afford the marriage visa it seems, I still need to leave the country to get this? 

I need to know the best option for staying here without leaving the country at the moment.

The extension in most cases is for one year.

If attending a informal school it is normally 90 days for each extension up to a total stay of one year.

You can apply for a non-o visa that allows a 90 day and then a one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai at immigrant.

A non-ed visa for attending a school and a non-o visa for volunteer work at a legitimate organization can be applied for.

34 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Are you married to a Thai national?

BTW don't know why you laughed at first reply.

It's accurate and good advice.

Since you entered visa exempt you can obtain another covid extension. That buys another couple of months and could be possible that a land border is opened.

Think you will find that non O volunteering is not currently available..

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is 400k baht in the bank for 2 months in a Thai bank or pro0f 40k baht income by way of transfers into a Thai from aboard every month.

You cannot change non immigrant visa categories while in the country. You can only change a different type of extension of stay.

Are agents doing the volunteer visa again?

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The extension in most cases is for one year.

If attending a informal school it is normally 90 days for each extension up to a total stay of one year.

You can apply for a non-o visa that allows a 90 day and then a one year extension based upon marriage to a Thai at immigrant.

A non-ed visa for attending a school and a non-o visa for volunteer work at a legitimate organization can be applied for.

First of all I would just like to say, thank you for your massively helpful information and quick responses, you are a Godsend, and I appreciate all you’ve done to help me, not only now, but in the past as well.

Second, I’m still utterly confused that’s maybe because I’m an idiot, but help me to understand my best path going forward.

It seems from my understanding Apply for Non-O VISA before my next Covid extension is finished, from here, apply for a marriage visa with all the proper financial proof, which is good for 1 year? All of this is possible without leaving Thailand? And from this I can extend the marriage visa every 1 year? 

is a Marriage visa better than those options? (I have a girlfriend here for 3 years now and I we could certainly get married and I am able to prove more than 40k a month in a thai bank account)

So..

the path seems to be: One final covid extension > convert to Non 0 visa > marriage and or extension visa > 1 year subsequent extensions?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you married to a Thai national?

BTW don't know why you laughed at first reply.

It's accurate and good advice.

Since you entered visa exempt you can obtain another covid extension. That buys another couple of months and could be possible that a land border is opened.

Think you will find that non O volunteering is not currently available..

More of a smiling overjoyed face not so much a laugh face, to me 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

Not yet but I can be at a moments notice 

Pretty big call to marry if main reason is to obtain means to remain in Thailand.

However you wouldn't be the first.

You can forget non O volunteering. 

You could obtain a non-ED through one of the formal schools.

Your age comes into it as PE visa would be good option but of course not cheap.

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Pretty big call to marry if main reason is to obtain means to remain in Thailand.

However you wouldn't be the first.

You can forget non O volunteering. 

You could obtain a non-ED through one of the formal schools.

Your age comes into it as PE visa would be good option but of course not cheap.

if marrying my girlfriend of 3 years already means I need not worry about being deported, I’m more than happy to do so. I don’t think I would need to prove much to show it’s a legitimate relationship, because it is.

I would absolutely attend school to learn Thai since I plan on being here for a while. I have the energy and the passion to stay here, I could attend these courses happily. I’m still a young man.

The elite visa is out of my range, I mean, they want about $30k USD upfront for only 5 years? I know it’s an overpriced way to stay here. I’ve spoken to expats who say they’re here on 5+ year education visas and haven’t paid even remotely close to that cost.

That brings me to another question: what about a business owner visa? I can afford to purchase a business here, I would like to know more details about this.

Edited by HandsomeTallFarang

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

It seems from my understanding Apply for Non-O VISA before my next Covid extension is finished, from here, apply for a marriage visa with all the proper financial proof, which is good for 1 year? All of this is possible without leaving Thailand? And from this I can extend the marriage visa every 1 year? 

With at least 15 days left on your current permission to stay (I recommend at least 20 days) you apply for a Non O visa at Immigration in Thailand on the basis of having a Thai spouse. You need 400,000 baht in the bank and need to be officially married (not just a temple ceremony) To get married, you will need an affirmation of freedom to marry from the US embassy, so do not leave this until the last moment. You also need an amphoe office willing to officially register your marriage. If you or your girlfriend knows an influential Thai who can intercede, it might be easier. to achieve this When the visa is issued, it is simultaneously converted into a Non Immigrant 90-day permission to stay. Near the end of the 90 days, you apply for a one-year extension of your permission to stay, on the basis that you are still married to a Thai.

2 hours ago, HandsomeTallFarang said:

I can buy one of these visas no problem 

If you are working you need 40k baht

If no work 400k in the bank

Plus wedding dress, party and drinks, pay to family and her spending money haha