Entering on Thailand Pass with PCR test (not RT-PCR)

Hi All,

Friend has an approved Thailand Pass for BKK Test and Go.  He's having difficulty finding an RT-PCR testing service before his departure.

He can get (has already actually) a PCR test (not RT-PCR).

According the the FAQ on the Thailand Pass website here, a standard PCR is acceptable.  It says:

"Please note that similar testing techniques including PCR, qPCR and RT-qPCR are also accepted."

Has anyone else had experience entering with a standard PCR test?  It should be OK, correct?

Thanks in advance,

T.

• Like 1

I arrived in bkk last april under AQL unvaxed my 72hr test was rejected as it was PCR lamp test didnt know the diff, was given a choice go back or take a test in the airport for 3k.

presume you will get the same choice if they dont accept

14 minutes ago, tomyami said:

I arrived in bkk last april under AQL unvaxed my 72hr test was rejected as it was PCR lamp test didnt know the diff, was given a choice go back or take a test in the airport for 3k.

Thanks... this is good info.

30 minutes ago, internationalism said:

Tell him to check for a chance of test in the airport. 
there might be 24h waiting time for result. But some laboratories do at 45 minutes and around $300

Thanks... he's coming from O'Hare, and their in-terminal testing is a day for RT-PCR.

2 hours ago, tomyami said:

RT-LAMP and RT-PCR are not the same. However, it is stupid that RT-LAMP is not acceptable on entry as research has shown it to be just as accurate during the acute phase of Covid-19 infection. That said, technically, they were correct to insist on a PCR test as LAMP is not normal PCR. Calling a test "LAMP-PCR" is misleading advertising, and should be banned.

• Like 1

I went to a patient first kind of place--they said they sent the tests out of state!!!

Guy from labcorp comes daily to get them--then they fly! them out of state and back!!!???

Got mine within 2 days and then in LAX the guy form singapore air didnt want to let me board sayiing my testing was over 72 hrs-----i went in on 14th and was in LAX on 17th....mere hours difference...

and i made SURE my test said RT-PCR..........never again singapore air...I did get on after a "debate"

3 hours ago, tomyami said:

It's also possible they would have prevented that, as you did not meet the requirements to enter Thailand at that point.

Lucky you were able to board the plane ????.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tweezer said:

He can get (has already actually) a PCR test (not RT-PCR).

What is PCR and how is it different from real time RT–PCR?

RT–PCR is a variation of PCR, or polymerase chain reaction. The two techniques use the same process except that RT–PCR has an added step of reverse transcription of RNA to DNA, or RT, to allow for amplification. This means PCR is used for pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria, that already contain DNA for amplification, while RT–PCR is used for those containing RNA that needs to be transcribed to DNA for amplification. Both techniques can be performed in ‘real time’, which means results are visible almost immediately, while when used ‘conventionally’, results are only visible at the end of the reaction.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/how-is-the-covid-19-virus-detected-using-real-time-rt-pcr

Corona viruses have a single RNA, and need to be reverse transcribed first, to create a DNA needed for amplification. Hence for COVID test to have any meaning, it would need to be RT-PCR and not PCR only.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

What is PCR and how is it different from real time RT–PCR?

RT–PCR is a variation of PCR, or polymerase chain reaction. The two techniques use the same process except that RT–PCR has an added step of reverse transcription of RNA to DNA, or RT, to allow for amplification. This means PCR is used for pathogens, such as viruses and bacteria, that already contain DNA for amplification, while RT–PCR is used for those containing RNA that needs to be transcribed to DNA for amplification. Both techniques can be performed in ‘real time’, which means results are visible almost immediately, while when used ‘conventionally’, results are only visible at the end of the reaction.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/how-is-the-covid-19-virus-detected-using-real-time-rt-pcr

Corona viruses have a single RNA, and need to be reverse transcribed first, to create a DNA needed for amplification. Hence for COVID test to have any meaning, it would need to be RT-PCR and not PCR only.

There is no PCR test for ssRNA viruses for the reasons you pointed out. 

16 hours ago, tweezer said:

Thanks... he's coming from O'Hare, and their in-terminal testing is a day for RT-PCR.

I left from O’hare last December. When I showed Korean Air the test report, nowhere on the report did it say RT-PCR. My fault for not checking. They would not let us board the flight. This was three hours before flying. I asked what could I do and was handed a business card from a lab. They would come get you, take you to the lab for a test and have the results back in one hour. Got back to the airport and in one hour received an email with the results. Showed the airline and was good to go.

It was about $200 for the test and ride. Was a little apprehensive about this but it was legit . I suspect all the airlines have these cards. I couldn’t wait 24 hours for result from a test at the airport.

7 hours ago, Stefanix said:

A little bit further down in this thread RT-PCR vs PCR is discussed. PCR tests are always RT-PCR according to Sheryl.

Sheryl is, of course, correct when tests are correctly described as PCR. The trouble, apparently is that some shady characters are advertising LAMP tests as PCR. While both aim to amplify DNA copies within a sample, they use completely different techniques to do so. LAMP does not include Polymerase Chain Reaction, and (wrongly in my view) RT-LAMP is not acceptable where tests specify PCR.

17 hours ago, internationalism said:

Tell him to check for a chance of test in the airport. 
there might be 24h waiting time for result. But some laboratories do at 45 minutes and around $300

45 minute timeline is is rubbish, Lateral Flow is 20 minutes.

A PCR test needs to incubate the virus which takes hours.

21 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

Please go to frankfurt airport lab. Or read report above from ohare about 1h results for $200. 

Some bangkok hotels offer pcr in 2h for T&G for an additional 2k

22 minutes ago, Alidiver said:

It is not correct that PCR tests (using the latest machines) must take several hours. While more expensive because of the reagents that are necessary as well as the capital cost of the machines, it is indeed possible these days to have real PCR tests that give results in less than an hour.

16 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Read the earlier posts in this thread. PCR for Covid-19 means RT-PCR.

Ok but this still holds true? "

"Please note that similar testing techniques including PCR, qPCR and RT-qPCR are also accepted.""

So basically an RT-qPCR test is accepted? 

27 minutes ago, TPDH said:

Ok but this still holds true? "

"Please note that similar testing techniques including PCR, qPCR and RT-qPCR are also accepted.""

So basically an RT-qPCR test is accepted? 

RT-qPCR uses polymerase chain reaction. It is fine. The only thing to be careful of is testing sites that claim to use PCR when they do not. One example is advertising RT-LAMP tests (a perfectly good test, by the way, but not acceptable for Test & Go) as "LAMP PCR" when the technique used is not PCR.

On 2/7/2022 at 11:03 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

I went to a patient first kind of place--they said they sent the tests out of state!!!

Guy from labcorp comes daily to get them--then they fly! them out of state and back!!!???

Got mine within 2 days and then in LAX the guy form singapore air didnt want to let me board sayiing my testing was over 72 hrs-----i went in on 14th and was in LAX on 17th....mere hours difference...

and i made SURE my test said RT-PCR..........never again singapore air...I did get on after a "debate"

Yeah, that is what I would be worried about, the staff at the departure gates. There have been stories of them following out of date guidelines and struggling with things like this. Some folks, like yourself, have had a very unpleasant experience with them at least, and some have been denied boarding.

21 hours ago, mbenson said:

Yeah, that is what I would be worried about, the staff at the departure gates. There have been stories of them following out of date guidelines and struggling with things like this. Some folks, like yourself, have had a very unpleasant experience with them at least, and some have been denied boarding.

I flew from DC to denver to LAX--on my bday!...to escape toxic USA......i went to a patient first type of shop and asked them for info and time tables before getting it----anyhoo singapore air in lax sweated me hard!! He argued it got it on 14th---the paper said the result came on the 15th---lax on 17th

So he takes a pic of my paper and sends it to "someone" in bkk via Line app...who that was I have no idea....He says if bkk allows it--u can board......!!! Man i tell ya that felt like forever waiting for the reply

Then the Sing guy is like dont cause any trouble in Sing during layover---I was like huh???   trouble???

anyway the plane was running late so literally ran thru sing airport to catch my transfer to bkk

Never again Singapore air---also facial recog to board without and option to opt out.........smh..blah

My family had test result PDF documents that only stated PCR - in small print and in parentheses. Reading about how airline staff were rejecting some passengers because the test results didn't say RT-PCR, I found an online application that allowed me to put RT-PCR prominently on the PDF documents. I made sure it looked like the lab included it. In fact, the lab did something similar when I told them the test results needed to include their passport numbers. The first PDF documents we received didn't include the passport number. Subsequent versions did, so I added RT-PCR to the far right of where they added the passport number using the same font style. I don't know if this was necessary or not, but the test results were accepted by the airline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donx said:

My family had test result PDF documents that only stated PCR - in small print and in parentheses. Reading about how airline staff were rejecting some passengers because the test results didn't say RT-PCR, I found an online application that allowed me to put RT-PCR prominently on the PDF documents. I made sure it looked like the lab included it. In fact, the lab did something similar when I told them the test results needed to include their passport numbers. The first PDF documents we received didn't include the passport number. Subsequent versions did, so I added RT-PCR to the far right of where they added the passport number using the same font style. I don't know if this was necessary or not, but the test results were accepted by the airline.

This is a good idea to avoid the possibility of an idiot who follows flawed logic at an airline check-in and doesn’t realise that in the context of testing for Covid-19, PCR and RT-PCR are exactly the same thing.

I also had to manually add my Passport number onto my Vax cert... just as a precaution.

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is a good idea to avoid the possibility of an idiot who follows flawed logic at an airline check-in and doesn’t realise that in the context of testing for Covid-19, PCR and RT-PCR are exactly the same thing.

I also had to manually add my Passport number onto my Vax cert... just as a precaution.

I didn't add the passport number to the vaccination certificates since I know that none of the US CDC certificates include it. However, these PCR test results appear in various formats depending upon who does the test. And with the stated requirement that the test is an RT-PCR test, leaving the decision up to an airline staffer who is just following the rules, adding RT-PCR to the test results made perfect sense.