Makha Bucha day is this upcoming Wednesday, alcohol sales ban incoming

webfact

1644731019315-696x464.jpg

By Adam Judd

Thailand-Makha Bucha day, one of the holiest Buddhist holidays, falls on this upcoming Wednesday, February 16th, in Thailand.

The day will be marked with many religious ceremonies and gatherings which have been allowed to continue this year despite Covid19 but with protective measures such as mask wearing and social distancing.

For those who don’t mark the religious holiday it is important to note that most government offices will be closed as well as potentially other private businesses. Additionally, this is a total alcohol sales ban day in Thailand, which includes supermarkets, convenience stores, hotels, and of course restaurants that sell alcohol.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2022/02/13/makha-bucha-day-is-this-upcoming-wednesday-alcohol-sales-ban-incoming/

PattayaNews.jpg

-- © Copyright The Pattaya News 2022-02-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Sad 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand-Makha Bucha day, one of the holiest Buddhist holidays, falls on this upcoming Wednesday, February 16th, in Thailand.

...fortunately the coming twesday in thailand falls on february 15th,  so remember there is no alcohol sales ban that day!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The day will be marked with many religious ceremonies and gatherings which have been allowed to continue this year despite Covid19 but with protective measures such as mask wearing and social distancing.

Social distancing?

at my local temple Phra pathom chedi in nakhon pathom province many hundreds if not more people do the usual 3 laps around the inner circle... crammed together like sardines, not sure how social distancing is going to work out?

[scroll to 1:30] for the 3 laps.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I have heard that alcohol sales will cease at 6:00pm Tues. I haven't verified this yet. If this turns out to be the case it's just insanity upon insanity.

Hope not. I've got Wednesday off and was planning a good sesh on Tuesday evening...

How to verify?

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Hope not. I've got Wednesday off and was planning a good sesh on Tuesday evening...

How to verify?

Yep. My local will be open as usual I reckon, but I'll call ahead today to make sure.

These silly alcohol laws are all applied a bit ad hoc outside Bangkok anyway nowadays.

Cheers! (hic).????

If some of the older people here remember on religious days in Canada all the bars and night clubs as well as the LCBO and Brewers Retail in Ontario are all closed.

Buddha stated that:

The Buddha, therefore, included the downside of intoxication in a duelwa sutra: “One is to refrain from drinking even a drop of alcohol and taking intoxicants because they are the cause of heedlessness. If any Buddhists succumb to the lure of intoxicating drinks, they shall not consider me as a teacher.”

Considering that we are in a Buddhist country it only makes sense that the rules be held for religious days.

How many people here can go to their local bar, tavern or pub on Christmas day and get drunk.  

If you are whining about having to buy your booze the day before or gong without I think there is a problem.

I personally look at it this way after living in Pakistan where there is no booze (supposedly)  things here could be a lot worse.

13 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

If some of the older people here remember on religious days in Canada all the bars and night clubs as well as the LCBO and Brewers Retail in Ontario are all closed.

Buddha stated that:

The Buddha, therefore, included the downside of intoxication in a duelwa sutra: “One is to refrain from drinking even a drop of alcohol and taking intoxicants because they are the cause of heedlessness. If any Buddhists succumb to the lure of intoxicating drinks, they shall not consider me as a teacher.”

Considering that we are in a Buddhist country it only makes sense that the rules be held for religious days.

How many people here can go to their local bar, tavern or pub on Christmas day and get drunk.  

If you are whining about having to buy your booze the day before or gong without I think there is a problem.

I personally look at it this way after living in Pakistan where there is no booze (supposedly)  things here could be a lot worse.

Christmas morning was one of the great swill mornings of the year. Limited time maximum drinking. 1st one was always tough after Christmas Eve though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dinsdale said:

I have heard that alcohol sales will cease at 6:00pm

Maybe mixed up with the rule for elections where this applies (6 PM before election day)?

In the past it was always midnight to midnight for Buddhist holidays.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Maybe mixed up with the rule for elections where this applies (6 PM before election day)?

In the past it was always midnight to midnight for Buddhist holidays.

No there's no mix up. Specifically said in regards to Makha Bucha Day. As I said it was something I was told. Don't know if it is or isn't correct.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, dinsdale said:

As I said it was something I was told. Don't know if it is or isn't correct.

If as you say you do not know if it is correct or not why post it yet again after being reminded that the "6PM the day before elections" rule applies to Election shut downs and NOT religious ones?

Edited by DezLez

14 hours ago, DezLez said:

If as you say you do not know if it is correct or not why post it yet again after being reminded that the "6PM the day before elections" rule applies to Election shut downs and NOT religious ones?

As a possible heads up. Nothing more or less. 

Heads up for next year:

"the police would like to notify all shop operators and the public to refrain from selling and drinking alcoholic beverages for the whole day of Wednesday, February 16th, from 00.00 AM. to 11:59 PM. TPN media notes this is a NATIONAL ban on religious holidays."