Thai wife, Aussie Passport - which visa for a <6 month stay?

My Thai wife (living in Australia) has an Australian Passport in her married name.

She has a valid Thai ID Card in her maiden name. Her Thai Passport 'lapsed' over 20 years ago.

She wants to visit her family in Thailand and stay with them no more than 6 months.

What kind of visa should she apply for?  We want to be 'armed' with our options before we visit the Thai Embassy in Sydney.

Also..  a related question...  if proof of sufficient funds are required, is an Aussie bank account okay or MUST it be a Thai bank account?  That's if, of course proof of funds are mandatory for a LESS THAN 6 month stay.

Any help would be appreciated.  

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your wife can apply for a one year extension of stay for being a Thai national. See number 23 here. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=1890

She could then sort out things to get her new Thai passport.

Or she could get a emergency travel document from the Thai embassy in Canberra or the official consulate in Sydney if she has time to do it. Info here in Thai. https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/thailand-passport-type/

Staff in Canberra embassy are very helpful. Very easy process if you turn up with all the required copies of documentation. Even as a walk in without appointment.

15 hours ago, bluejets said:

Where or how to do this...????

It is applied for at the designated immigration office for where you are staying.

She could enter visa exempt using her Australian passport and then apply for the extension. The fee is 1900 baht.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your assistance...

The #23 VISA EXTENSION sounds good but does that have to be done once you're in Thailand, or from the Consulate here in Sydney pre departure? (stupid question?)

We've already bought tickets for a July departure.

Getting her a brand new Thai passport would solve all her future Visa woes however we've put that into the "too hard" basket for now but will definitely consider it in the future. 

I read the "O-A" Visa Category requirements that one forum member kindly sent and it seems to be the best alternative for my wife.  A lot of paperwork but at least we don't have to start changing surnames on ID Cards to match a new passport surname.  I know she will be whinging about all the paperwork however I'm the one doing all the 'leg work".

She's got the equivalent of 800K Bt in her Aussie bank account..  I'm hoping that is  okay. 

Again, Thanks for your help...  better to hear the info first from somebody on our side of the counter who's been there, done that!   

Hi There..... I been with my Thai wife 27 years... We live in the USA full-time.... My wife just learned 'something new' this trip to Thailand last month.... She was told that she can use both of her Thai/USA Passports as long as she carries her 'MARRIAGE LICENSE' with her.... Her USA passport is used for all her Ticket name, Vaccine card, 72 hour prior test, etc.........

When she arrives in Thailand she shows the Thai and USA passports to Immigration along with the Marriage License and she is allowed to enter Thailand as a 'Thai' using her Thai Passport and NO VISA is required and she can stay as long as she wants....  and she don't even need medical insurance because Thai's in Thailand are entitled to free Hospital treatment....

After 20+ years we just learned this from an agent who does 'test & go' applications for folks in Los Angeles....

Check it out.... MY WIFE JUST DID IT......

So the wife of the OP won't need to change her Thai Passport to her Married Name, either....

4 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

The #23 VISA EXTENSION sounds good but does that have to be done once you're in Thailand, or from the Consulate here in Sydney pre departure? (stupid question?)

You apply for it at immigration here as I wrote in my post just before your post. She can enter visa exempt and get a 30 day extension.

Getting her a brand new Thai passport would solve all her future Visa woes however we've put that into the "too hard" basket for now but will definitely consider it in the future. 

Entering and getting the one year extension eliminates that problem. It will be much easier to get her passport here after arriving. There are Thai passport offices in all regions of the country and they will mail the new passport to her.

I read the "O-A" Visa Category requirements that one forum member kindly sent and it seems to be the best alternative for my wife. 

Forget that idea. That is a lot of unneeded effort.

2 hours ago, PuaYai said:

When she arrives in Thailand she shows the Thai and USA passports to Immigration along with the Marriage License and she is allowed to enter Thailand as a 'Thai' using her Thai Passport and NO VISA is required and she can stay as long as she wants....  and she don't even need medical insurance because Thai's in Thailand are entitled to free Hospital treatment....

That could depend upon the immigration officer when she enters the country. Showing both passports is riskey. I have seen many posts of immigration forcing a person to enter with their foreign passport.

Entering with a expired Thai passport before covid 19 was not a problem before but having to a COE before or now the Thailand Pass changed that.

5 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

Many thanks for all your assistance...

We've already bought tickets for a July departure.

I read the "O-A" Visa Category requirements that one forum member kindly sent and it seems to be the best alternative for my wife.  A lot of paperwork but at least we don't have to start changing surnames on ID Cards to match a new passport surname.  I know she will be whinging about all the paperwork however I'm the one doing all the 'leg work".

She's got the equivalent of 800K Bt in her Aussie bank account..  I'm hoping that is  okay. 

Again, Thanks for your help...  better to hear the info first from somebody on our side of the counter who's been there, done that!   

"Too hard" - typical Thai excuse to talk yourself out of doing things! 555

It's not that hard. Call them or visit. Does she still have her expired passport or know her old passport number?

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/page/89619-thai-passports?menu=5d847cc315e39c21b800619b

If Oz is anything like the UK - there are Embassy "roadshows" where they issue passports at the Consulates around the country.

If she has a valid Thai ID card why didn't she get a passport then? With a Thai ID the application should be pretty straight forward.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/thai-passport?menu=5f224eed9864ad7325088af2

https://www.axa.co.th/en/Passport-Office-Updated-Lists

This link explains how to do it. You don't need passport photos anymore as there are "official" machines there to take pics, estimate height etc. 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/thai-passport-bangkok

BTW - about one month ago the Mrs recently renewed her expired Thai passport here in Bangkok - there are many offices around town and we happened to go to the Temporary office in the MBK Centre...went on a Sunday...new passport arrived Wednesday. She was in and out in the time it took me to drink a coffee in the Starbucks downstairs.

BTW 2 - My wife's British passport is in her married name. Her Thai passport in her maiden name (so no need to change all the Thai paperwork).

Good luck.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

18 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

"Too hard" - typical Thai excuse to talk yourself out of doing things! 555

It's not that hard. Call them or visit. Does she still have her expired passport or know her old passport number?

https://sydney.thaiembassy.org/en/page/89619-thai-passports?menu=5d847cc315e39c21b800619b

If Oz is anything like the UK - there are Embassy "roadshows" where they issue passports at the Consulates around the country.

If she has a valid Thai ID card why didn't she get a passport then? With a Thai ID the application should be pretty straight forward.

https://www.mfa.go.th/en/page/thai-passport?menu=5f224eed9864ad7325088af2

https://www.axa.co.th/en/Passport-Office-Updated-Lists

This link explains how to do it. You don't need passport photos anymore as there are "official" machines there to take pics, estimate height etc. 

https://www.thethailandlife.com/thai-passport-bangkok

BTW - about one month ago the Mrs recently renewed her expired Thai passport here in Bangkok - there are many offices around town and we happened to go to the Temporary office in the MBK Centre...went on a Sunday...new passport arrived Wednesday. She was in and out in the time it took me to drink a coffee in the Starbucks downstairs.

BTW 2 - My wife's British passport is in her married name. Her Thai passport in her maiden name (so no need to change all the Thai paperwork).

Good luck.

RAZZ

Thanks...

Her airline ticket is in her married name matching her Oz Passport.

If I got her Thai Passport renewed in her maiden name (matching her ID)... and present that when arriving at Swampy, it shouldn't be a problem as Immigration there don't check your plane ticket (on arrival).

That might solve her problems.

Our Thai friends (now Aussies) use their Oz Passport when arriving and departing Oz, and Thai Passport when arriving and departing BKK.

I was always under the impression the Immigration people checked the country that you came from when inspecting the 'incomings' Passport.

Oh well...   Worth a try.  Tah.

• Like 1