Which 2D and 3D house plan drawing software.

bluejets

Presently starting on house plans for Thailand build and would like to hear opinion of diy house plan software preferrably one that would normally be used in Thailand.

Might be a tall order though.

Intention is to get to a stage whereby a draughtsman should be able to follow and create an official set of plans.

Spoke with Len Hend and his most recent is 10k baht but then again that is 2 story and engineering footings for earthquake proofing.  mmmm..... bit over what I need.

Seems some plans are drawn using the interior walls as dimensions, any comment there?

Did look at Dreamplan software which seems fairly easy to use although it might be limited in features once one gets more into it.

Currently cheap-as at around AUD$30 online.

Have access to Fusion360 that I currently use for model ic engine design work but not sure how to get onto architectural add-on.

Edited by bluejets

I perused many US sites for a floor plan close to what we wanted.  I found one and then put it into Sweet Home 3D manually.  Then we massaged it to be 95% of what we wanted.  Our builder's architect then put it into their ArchiCad software and we continued massaging it until satisfied.

I only used the basic functions of Sweet Home so I cannot advise you how complete the software is.

It's not a simple process to make a house plan to match your dreams!  Good luck!

P.S. A friend recommended Sweet Home and the price (0) was great.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I perused many US sites for a floor plan close to what we wanted.  I found one and then put it into Sweet Home 3D manually.  Then we massaged it to be 95% of what we wanted.  Our builder's architect then put it into their ArchiCad software and we continued massaging it until satisfied.

I only used the basic functions of Sweet Home so I cannot advise you how complete the software is.

It's not a simple process to make a house plan to match your dreams!  Good luck!

P.S. A friend recommended Sweet Home and the price (0) was great.

The difficulty of planning a house depends on your ability to plan ahead and take everything into account. I would say that we have about 98% of what we wanted. There are some things that didn’t work as well as could be hoped and would have changed, but not many.

"Intention is to get to a stage whereby a draughtsman should be able to follow and create an official set of plans."

If that is your main intention then I would agree with gamb00ler - Sweet Home 3D is a free, relatively simple to use application. With lots of tutorials and the active user support forum.

I've used it to create different plans to play with various design ideas.

Once settled I sent snapshots to my architect which had no problem transferring the design into the engineering drawing.

Edited by unheard
  • Like 1

If it is to get building ideas .... this builder has a nice website  with many choices and info , just click on any picture and more pictures about the chosen one appears , floorplans on the planning section in the main menu

Alan the builder - Build a house in Thailand - Gallery

Edited by david555

Another free one, that can be upgraded for a fee, is RoomSketcher. I have designed a few different houses with it when looking at land and then build. Ended up buying an existing house and designed the additions to it. You will need to have someone else draw the plans to local specifications.

On 2/15/2022 at 4:58 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

I used SketchUp to build a concept model

Looked at several and this seemed to be well supported with good online tutorials.

"copy" function had me for a while but eventually through watching and trial and error, have it by the balls now.

Thanks Sometimewoodworker.

Currently practicing on a "land rice shack" ( looking around 100k Baht) with a couple of small rooms, semi-outdoor kitchen, shower, all ok for now.

2 hours ago, bluejets said:

Looked at several and this seemed to be well supported with good online tutorials.

"copy" function had me for a while but eventually through watching and trial and error, have it by the balls now.

Thanks Sometimewoodworker.

Currently practicing on a "land rice shack" ( looking around 100k Baht) with a couple of small rooms, semi-outdoor kitchen, shower, all ok for now.

SketchUp is an immensely capable professional program that even amateurs can use, BUT it takes dedication to get to a level where you can produce models like 

these03AAEFFC-092A-44F8-930B-CB6ACAB6D05B.thumb.jpeg.71344399b9183a88362ec1b6cee21a2f.jpeg5BE698AC-3510-466B-A62E-1F81D1A28E59.thumb.jpeg.034c8373affd4f96001cd4dcd9fd447b.jpeg

from an AutoCAD design like thisB8B166D7-203F-4835-A23E-19D96585ABB1.thumb.png.5e9a44d4bd462c490ac16956ead8e5d8.png

These are the architect designs from my very much more limited concept. BUT the architect was able to view my concept that contained all the important, to me, design elements and draw up the designs above that then allowed me to view his interpretation and make corrections or alterations before construction started.

During construction there was only 1 major visual change & that was to the clear story windows 

A959DC6A-DF00-47C7-AD96-7BE131DFC62E.jpeg.eedc1ea8bcea85662f29a1e26ef703c3.jpeg

this was because the original design was over complex and just looked wrong. So luckily it was relatively simple to change to this.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/16/2022 at 10:35 AM, unheard said:

If that is your main intention then I would agree with gamb00ler - Sweet Home 3D is a free, relatively simple to use application. With lots of tutorials and the active user support forum.

I also agree with you and gamb00ler... Sweet Home 3D is fantastic!

On 2/21/2022 at 1:26 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

SketchUp is an immensely capable professional program that even amateurs can use, BUT it takes dedication to get to a level where you can produce models like 

these

Notice you use the centreline of the uprights as main dimensions which would in most instances be the room interior sizes.

Is that the conventional method in Thailand?

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

Notice you use the centreline of the uprights as main dimensions which would in most instances be the room interior sizes.

I’m sure that your statement would be absolutely clear if I had any idea which dimensions you are talking about. I suspect that you are looking at the AutoCAD drawings. If so then they were drawn up our architect, are the only AutoCAD drawings I’ve seen, so I have to assume that they are the standard method. If they are any different to other plans, I have no reference, so don’t know. 

If you would like to be more clear I may be able to answer.

On the plan views or on the elevation views, dimensions between uprights ( for want of a better word perhaps vertical support posts)

Some plans I see are taken centre to centre, whereas others will be external.

In the first plan I drew up for example (only a land rice shack.....no requirement for draughtsman etc) some I have made as external whereas others internal.

I imagine it would be a point of confusion if normally the two were mixed as this and wondered if there is a standard i.e. internal or external.

LandRiceShack#2.jpg

1 hour ago, bluejets said:

On the plan views or on the elevation views, dimensions between uprights ( for want of a better word perhaps vertical support posts)

Some plans I see are taken centre to centre, whereas others will be external.

In the first plan I drew up for example (only a land rice shack.....no requirement for draughtsman etc) some I have made as external whereas others internal.

I imagine it would be a point of confusion if normally the two were mixed as this and wondered if there is a standard i.e. internal or external.

LandRiceShack#2.jpg

The architect produced this4035EC72-61E4-4C64-92E1-7B43B1F71266.thumb.png.7e7297fecf71532737ff42fb56a353be.png

to produce the building plans

58CE323A-02BF-4C8E-9E78-505DAE795D0F.jpeg.fd0f52ebee0cffdcc7996383ed22ba4e.jpeg

but to allow a better visualisation for produced this from the AutoCAD file

39F7F30E-236C-44FC-8E21-6019974DB650.thumb.png.6dc3262194c5cb6d46485fa465c380c2.png

and we got this

7D1698AA-2CF0-4834-A7F4-26A2A3583CAB.thumb.jpeg.1144fcf94bb5ca465c1b369cc614f36a.jpeg

so as you can see the plans are not, nor were they intended to be, exactly what was produced, case in point, no visible posts or beams apart from the overhead crane.

Where the measurements are drawn from probably depends on the importance of the area, the ability of a builder to follow, or even get within a country mile of, the plan is also an interesting discussion.

I suspect that center to center of critical points is standard as then a change from 200mm to 250mm posts is a trivial issue 

Edited by sometimewoodworker

3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

58CE323A-02BF-4C8E-9E78-505DAE795D0F.jpeg.fd0f52ebee0cffdcc7996383ed22ba4e.jpeg

This is typical for architectural drawing produced all over the world, not just in Thailand.

All the structural columns (or vertical support posts or uprights) are identified in one plane alphabetically (A, B, C...) and in the other plane numerically (1, 2, 3...).

Therefore each individual column can be identified (B2, C4 etc.).

All minor setout dimensions reference the main column spacing dimensions.

The SketchUp drawing produced by bluejets has the columns spaced at irregular dimensions and would give your typical Thai builder some head-scratching moments lol.

Better to stick to regular dimensions.

With reference to "irregular" I guess that depends on where one actually looks.

If you are referring to the "2925mm" then I guess you might call that irregular but case in point, this is centre to centre, outer dimension in this example is a neat 6000mm.

Sometimewoodworker, that is SOME fan you have there........ ????

OK then I guess I'll stick to internals and go from there.

Placement of the support posts is not really a concern at this point, as you say, the draughtsman will sort that.

Cheers Jeff

Edited by bluejets

I too am going to be building a rice farm shack as you call it Jeff.

Here is my plan for the local builder to fabricate from.

No need for an architect or draftsman.

Nothing fancy... just 20cm sq columns in a 5m x 4m pattern.

20x20x600 Q-CON block walls.

Electrical conduits will be surface mounted.

The circles you see outside the structure represent a water storage tank and underground grey water and sewer tanks.

We are planning to live in it whilst our main house is being built.

After our house is built it will revert to a rice storage area and a rest retreat for the farm workers.

And, back on-topic, I used AutoSketch software.

Capture.JPG.34be3d8b5ee4a77f2e66bbaf7d48440d.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/15/2022 at 8:08 AM, bluejets said:

Short answer Yes

I noticed this on the drawing we got back from our engineer too