Internet radio receiver

Golden Triangle

I like to listen to BBC Radio 2 live for a good part of the day, I know I can get it on my phone or tablet but the sound quality would be garbage, I currently listen to Radio 2 live on my android TV, it means the TV is on much longer than I would like, these things seem to have a limited life span.

So my question is, do any of you have an internet radio ? If so, what do you think of it ? Where did you get it ? How much was it ? And what model is it ? Thanks for all & any info. ????????????

2 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Do you have a BT soundbar with your TV? No.

Where do you want to be able to listen? Portability? At home.

Bluetooth headphones and your android phone should be good? I really don't fancy headphones for 8 hours or so.

Portable bluetooth speakers? No thanks.

28 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

quality would be garbage

Get descent Bluetooth speakers, 5.1 Bluetooth has excellent quality and you can connect from quite far.

I've used Tune-In radio app from the Google Play Store. Theres a free and paid version with discount codes available, just Google "Discount codes Tune-In".

Thats what I do.  It's nice when I'm working around the house or backyard.

Good luck!

Screenshot_20220216-124314.jpg

Screenshot_20220216-124234.jpg

• Like 2

Does TuneIn even support BBC Radio 2 anymore? As for sound then the digital feed to your phone, tablet or PC, whether via 4G or WiFi will be near perfect. It's the method of reproduction i.e. speakers that makes a difference. I use a portable bluetooth speaker (small brick size) that I take everywhere when travelling. Ideal for music or speech broadcasts. Decent bass and treble and a single recharge lasts over 24 hours. Alternatively, if you have a soundbar at home (mine also has a bass sub-woofer) most will accept bluetooth connection and playback too. The other alternatives are headphones (either bluetooth or wired).

Edited by soi3eddie
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

No.

I really don't fancy

No thanks.

OK now that we know what you don't want, maybe you could share what it is that you do want?

Can you describe a solution which you'll find acceptable?

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

OK now that we know what you don't want, maybe you could share what it is that you do want?

Can you describe a solution which you'll find acceptable?

Can you please re read my OP, I already listen to radio 2 on my TV, but it's not good having the TV on all day everyday, a new internet TV costs far more than an internet radio, my original questions ( which so far ) have not been answered, I asked if anyone had one, how much was it, what model & what do you think of it.

1 hour ago, The Fugitive said:

OP wants a traditional 'wireless set'. Something like a large piece of furniture which lights up and produces a distinctive smell when in use.

Ah, OK.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/internet-radio-receiver/

Who knew such a thing existed?

How hard would it be to just tell us what he wants?

What's next? A digital buggy whip?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Ah, OK.

https://www.lazada.co.th/tag/internet-radio-receiver/

Who knew such a thing existed?

How hard would it be to just tell us what he wants?

What's next? A digital buggy whip?

It states quite clearly in my Original Post what I want

5 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Which one do you have, would you recommend it & how much ? 

Here it is:

valveradio.jpg.7d717d8c240cca31cf086dc0b47552e0.jpg

It works very well!  I bought it in about 1969 and it cost me 5 shillings at a rummage sale....  I doubt that it is available nowadays ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, simon43 said:

It works very well!  I bought it in about 1969 and it cost me 5 shillings at a rummage sale....  I doubt that it is available nowadays ????

No Bluetooth, just old-in-the-tooth.

How Do I Use A Bluetooth Speaker With An Old Radio?
Choosing a radio is the first step. The first step is to find a portable vintage radio that looks nice.
The second step is to locate a Bluetooth speaker…
The third step is to empty the radio of its components…
The fourth step is to remove the Bluetooth speaker’s transmitter.
The Bluetooth transmitter and radio loudspeaker must be connected in step 5….
The sixth step is to reassemble.

I think the OP is looking for something like that.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/internet-radio-receiver-wifi-wr-336n-portable-digital-radio-with-rechargeable-battery-bluetooth-receiver-i2706973480-s9773656637.html?

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Phone with a good BT speaker will have far superior sound and be far more flexible too..

I feed my Onkyo Home Theater receiver with BT sound from my phone.

And btw, my TV is almost always on during the day. I replace them every 3-4 years, because of new features. So far none has broken. Don't know where the OP got the idea that they break when you leave them on. The main idea being not to chose the cheap Chinese variety.

2 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

I think the OP is looking for something like that.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/internet-radio-receiver-wifi-wr-336n-portable-digital-radio-with-rechargeable-battery-bluetooth-receiver-i2706973480-s9773656637.html?

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Phone with a good BT speaker will have far superior sound and be far more flexible too..

I feed my Onkyo Home Theater receiver with BT sound from my phone.

And btw, my TV is almost always on during the day. I replace them every 3-4 years, because of new features. So far none has broken. Don't know where the OP got the idea that they break when you leave them on. The main idea being not to chose the cheap Chinese variety.

I'm currently using a Panasonic TV in the past I have used LG, in 10 years I have have used 3 LG TV's, that seems excessive to me.

• Sad 1

I have two speakers which are connected to the home network through Samsung's multiroom system: see here for more info.

I am not sure if this counts as an internet radio but  the quality of sound is really good and it has also the added advantage that you can play music from other devices or NAS which are connected to the same network.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1