Second rupture found in oil pipeline as SPRC seeks permission to make repairs

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-58.jpg

The Star Petroleum Refining Company (SPRC) has sent an urgent notice to the Thai Marine Department’s office in Rayong province, seeking permission to access an offshore mooring platform to repair the flexible undersea oil pipeline after a second rupture was found.

The company said that oil occasionally trickles out of this second crack into the sea, but there is a high risk that more of the residual crude oil in the pipeline will leak out when the seas get rough, which is why it must be repaired and sealed quickly.

In performing the delicate maintenance work, the company said it plans to deploy at least ten vessels, to lay booms around the maintenance site, and at least another three equipped with dispersant as a safety measure.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/second-rupture-found-in-oil-pipeline-as-sprc-seeks-permission-to-make-repairs/

Logo-top-.png
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-02-17

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Star Petroleum Refining Company (SPRC) has sent an urgent notice to the Thai Marine Department’s office in Rayong province, seeking permission to access an offshore mooring platform to repair the flexible undersea oil pipeline after a second rupture was found.

I do hope someone high up in SPRC is getting the chop for this.

I cannot judge and declare that this leak was totally unnecessary and more of a failure than an unpredictable incident. I worked offshore for 42 years, most of that time as Tool pusher/Rig Super intendant. I have a lot of experience with “hoses”, both high and low pressure ones. In the countries I worked in, this would be thoroughly investigated because correct maintenance, periodic renewal and visual inspection by ROVs should have prevented this from happening in the first place. Thailand is known for taking short cuts in the short run and I am confident that it will be the conclusion after an INDEPENDENT investigation.  In my experience almost all “accidents” can be avoided if proper safety and maintenance precautions are in place. It will be interesting to read  the conclusions after the investigation, because if it concludes that no fault was done, it would have a severe impact on the global offshore Drilling and Production industry. However I strongly doubt that this will be the case if the investigation team is truly non-partisan with no intent to cover up.

Edited by Sweet Swede

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Star Petroleum Refining Company

Offered for reference only:-

Star Petroleum Refining Public Company Limited (''SPRC'') is one of the leading petroleum product producers in Thailand and among the most efficient refineries in the Asia Pacific and Indian Ocean region. SPRC was founded in 1992 at the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate, Rayong province, Thailand. Chevron is our major shareholder holding a 61% share in SPRC, and the remaining 39% shares are publicly traded.

https://connect.amchamthailand.com/list/member/star-petroleum-refining-public-company-limited-2602