Wave Oil Change Problem

madjbs

I just changed the oil on my wave however I made a slight mistake at the start. There is 2 bolts under the engine, one which is at a slight angle and one pointing straight down. I wasn’t paying much attention to what I was doing and instead of undoing the straight down bolt I took the slightly angled out. Just as it came out a long spring shot out and something inside the hole moved as well. I put it back in and changed the oil but now the engine seems to be a bit noisy although I could be imagining it. Does anyone know what exactly that bolt and spring etc.. is for? Im paranoid I put it back in wrong or something!

Thanks

Jake

What you removed is known in technical terms as a 'ping-farkit", it goes 'ping' you say 'farkit'.

I don't know the Wave itself, but I suspect that it's a detent spring for the gearbox and probably has (had) a ball bearing on the end of the spring. Probably be a wise move to take it to Somchai Motorcycles (branches in sheds all over the country) and tell him what you did so he can laugh and install a new ball if required.

Is the gearbox still changing reliably?

EDIT modified for the naughty-word filter

Edited by Crossy

Don't ride it, just to be on the safe side. but second hand GOOD engines are only about 7k bht. thats if its completly Tommied!

I think you'll be alright my self. but next time take care, eh?

Loz

Not to be saying "I told you so," but to admit that some things are not as easy as they seem - I almost never change my oil. Especially in Thailand, where Somchai only charges a farthing or two for labor. No matter how inept Somchai the mechanic may be on a bad day, I'm even inepter.

It seems it was infact the cam chain tensioner. I found a manual onine for the old c70 which told how to adjust but I have found now that my wave seems to have been updated and the cam chain adjusts itself. It all works fine now anyway so I think im going to give somchai a miss.

Out of interest does anybody know where you can buy full maintenance manuals for these bikes? I know the local mechanic will be cheap but I enjoy working on them myself.

Thanks

Jake