220v to 12v driver?

kralledr

The answer is probably. It will either work or not, but if it doesn’t work it is unlikely to damage the LED.

However you said “news ones” so that implies you have more than one. If that is true the the driver will power between 5 and 15 according to the label. 

However do be sure that the 12V LEDs are AC ones not DC ones. 

if they are DC LEDs the chance for magic smoke release is there

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 minute ago, sometimewoodworker said:

The answer is probably. It will either work or not, but if it doesn’t work it is unlikely to damage the LED.

However you said “news ones” so that implies you have more than one. If that is true the the driver will power between 5 and 15 according to the label. 

How you see this in the label that i can conmect 5 to 15?

To say it clear: With your understanding of electric better buy the same product again so that you can just replace it or ask someone who knows about those things to do that for you.

For someone with limited knowledge who does not even understand the difference between AC and DC it is a very bad idea to try these things by yourself. 

Power.png.8df79940370db1f9a5f14c4bc1053781.png

Sorry to be blunt but someone has to do it.

• Like 1

Thanks, i am not an electrician, i did  ot know this, but it should work as long as it output 12v?

Another question sorry why it say 20-60 abd not 0-60?!

Does it mean it will output from 20 to 60 or can i connect safely just 1 piece of 4w?

27 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Thanks, i am not an electrician, i did  ot know this, but it should work as long as it output 12v?

Another question sorry why it say 20-60 abd not 0-60?!

Does it mean it will output from 20 to 60 or can i connect safely just 1 piece of 4w?

The only way to find out which of 3 possible results is to try

1) it works; no problem 

2) it doesn’t work; no problem 

3) it doesn’t work and kills the light.

Edit; 4) it it works as a 2W light; no problem

NO there is no simple way to know which will happen.

However if you connect 5 lights in parallel you may find option if 1 above is the result.

EDIT: Your problem is that you have 12V DC LEDs but your power supply is 12V AC so you should change the power supply or convert AC to DC

The reason why there are 3 scenarios above is that there are many ways to design lights and many ways to design power supplies and if you combine all the light designs and power supply designs all 3 are possible.

NOTE; I missed the discrepancy in the AC power supply with DC lights.

this adds another layer of fun problems and increases the risk of magic smoke escape. And also the lights may only function at ½ power

Edited by sometimewoodworker

7 hours ago, Crossy said:

OK let's clear this  up.

The unit in our OP is an "electronic transformer" intended to drive halogen lamps.

It's output is 12V AC.

It has a MINIMUM load of 20W.

Our OP has 12V DC 4W LEDS.

Just about everything about the transformer is wrong for those LEDs, with only a 4W load it may not even start up, if it does there's a strong possibility it will fry the LEDs.

This is one of many suitable drivers on Lazada https://www.lazada.co.th/products/led-driver-adapter-12v-15a-18w-transformer-power-supply-for-led-strip-i3194981777-s11933177910.html

Note:- This is an 18W power supply, so it will happily drive up to 4 of our 4W LEDs connected in parallel.

image.png.62d1a17239f45ee5b48793d18eff5b28.png

Be aware this unit may not be isolated so heed the warning in red.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Be aware this unit may not be isolated so heed the warning in red.

This china constant volt driver I have tried works good

Red warning say HIGH TEMPERATURE PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE SURFACE

Standard switch regulator transformer inside

1 hour ago, SomchaiDIY said:

This china constant volt driver I have tried works good

Red warning say HIGH TEMPERATURE PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH THE SURFACE

Standard switch regulator transformer inside

Excellent! 

So it must be safe then...........

2 hours ago, kralledr said:

I just bought a driver, the lamp turn on now, but it does flicker  ????

Shall i just giveup or try another driver?

Is your piece of string long enough?

if you provide too little information nobody can give a sensible answer.

flickering LEDs have multiple causes.

2 hours ago, kralledr said:

I just bought a driver, the lamp turn on now, but it does flicker  ????

Shall i just giveup or try another driver?

Can you give us some information on this driver please, a photo and / or spec. would be great.

Here's your problem:-

image.png.03c0840b6753e9060914b39736ffbc5e.png 

And again this unit appears to be intended to drive halogen lamps up to 50W.

You need a driver/power supply with a constant voltage output of 12V DC, nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK so we now know the lamps are AC/DC, would have been nice to know earlier, but whatever.

So your AC "transformer" won't blow it up, but it's flickering.

It could still be that you are under-loading the transformer (although it doesn't state a minimum load), can you try hooking up half a dozen or so of your 4W lamps to it in parallel.

The DC unit that I posted earlier would still work fine ???? 

You're not using a lamp dimmer are you??

I also notice that this appears to be a "smart" RGB lamp, not sure if that matters.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

and it looks as if you have a rodent problem as well

I've had issues with those quick connectors in the past, can you try just twisting the wires or use a screw connectors.

30 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I've had issues with those quick connectors in the past, can you try just twisting the wires or use a screw connectors.

Very strange, if i connect it DIRECTLY ro poweroutlet (using driver) it works, if i connect where the old leds are it flickers 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kralledr said:

Very strange, if i connect it DIRECTLY ro poweroutlet (using driver) it works, if i connect where the old leds are it flickers 

Hmmm, the plot thickens.

Is it on a regular switch or some kind of electronic switch?? Could even be an iffy connection.

Common problem with AC to AC switching supply designed for halogen lamp

Unstable below minimum load

Strange result can happen with long cable length between driver and lamp

Circuit in these AC lamp drivers are design to see only the resistance load of halogen lamp

Answer for this problem use constant volt DC driver advice given already

• Like 2

On 2/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, kralledr said:

So i made a misstake, i have now 220v led in my roof, and i bought 12v ones... can not return them

The news ones are 12v DC 4W

My question is, will this (driver work)?

Yes it will as long as the bulbs are 12 volt

I use the exact same transformer units in my home in the U.K. 

connect the 220 / 240 volt mains to the correct “ in “ side and all light units to the 12 volt “ out “ side

make sure ALL connections are as tight as you can get them without breaking the screw heads.

One thing I have noticed over the 20 years I have used them is that when one bulb stops working you have to replace all of them or they will not function properly IE some will switch off after about 30 minutes and come back on again 5 to 10 minutes later.

Personally I would not connect more than 3 lights per unit so if  you have access to purchasing more of the transformers do so and fit them using a junction box, IE switched mains 220v to the junction box then cable out to one transformer and the repeat again for subsequent transformers.

All lights will then come on when you switch them on.

Remember also that LEDs run far hotter than normal bulbs so for safety make sure you fittings are not near anything that may combust, obvious I know but you would be surprised how many do not consider this possibility.

Hope this is helpful