Ousted Pm To Come Home

Mid

Thaksin can return without seeking permission: Surayud
Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Tuesday that former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra can return to Thailand to defend himself against corruption charges without having to seek permission first.

"He does not have to seek permission" from the Council for National Security, Surayud told reporters when informed of Thaksin's plan to return to defend his assets.

Surayud said he understood Thaksin's need to return to the country after the Assets Examination Committee charged him with being unusually rich and ordered a freeze of his assets.

The Nation

apparently so ........

taksin is not a stupid man ,nor are his leagal advisors ,if he does come back he must be really confident he is going to win ,no paying people off this time ,the world is watching ,i say good luck to him.....

i dont know where you come from but you dont win law suits by being confident in thailand. thai law has not shown to operate on logic and precedence, this is not england, this is a military appointed panel. of course people are going to be paid off, dont be naive.

if you want the law to work for you, you got to give a little somethin somethin, know what i mean?

i wonder what surayud means when he says the police will provide him with protection? behind bars?

Did you listen to the verdicts in the recent cases against TRT and The Democrats?

All the evidence was laid out clearly.

It will be fun if Thaksin comes back and has to answer the questions regarding his changing of laws to benefit his companies.

Even his sidekick, the Foreign Minister Surakiat, claimed he was against the Exim loan to Burma.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he loaded all the money from Shin sale onto trucks, the line would stretch from Bangkok to Korat. If he spread them on the ground, it would cover all central Thailand.

One full plane load is not enough, let alone a dozen of suitcases.

I think he already struck the deal with the junta, something like - we let you fight legal charges from Thailand, you don't mess with politics. What will the reaction of his fan club would be - they demand he reinstallment as PM in a week (four days from now)? Will he tell them that he is not available?

Or the scariest scenario - he reenters politics on the raw strength of mass rallies in his support, taking on the junta directly. So far the generals reacted firmly to all his tricks - revoked his passport, dissolved his party, frozen his accounts. How far does he want the to go? If he confronts them, his life will be in mortal danger, they won't let civil war start over a schmuck like Thaksin.

Having been a visistor to Thailand for over 30 years and now a resident I still feel we have no rights to a political voice.

I have seen Thasiland grow and prosper and am amazed when living here to find how far it has advanced in a mere thirty years. No government is perfect and in my view the British government is as corrupt as any.

Welcome back Mr Taxin

Well if his stash is in cash they can always do what they did in the Philippines. When Marcos had a stash they reprinted all the money with a new design and require that the old notes to be turned in to the government directly to be exchanged. Then they made obsolete the old notes. It’s a bit like an ice fisherman waiting for something to come up for air.

Edited by John K

Here I risk doing what is known as a 'young husband' amongst the inner circles of TV, namely making a confident prediction that turns out to be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if Thaksin doesn't come back at all.

Regarding national reconciliation, I propose that General Sonthi Boonyaratkalin offers to take Khun Potchaman as his third wife, as a Muslim this is quite acceptable for him; and as for her, after the freezing of her assets she may be grateful for any financial assistance.

The nation could thus move on happily reunited.

I do not know if it is a good thing,they probably let him back in because he cannot go into politics in the next 5 years.He is wealthy anough,even when everything will be kept frozen.I think he can be pretty sure he will not have to do jailtime,so nothing to loose fifty fifty about his assets,he will get a big fine and thats it.In the North it is allready rainy season and the business is down everywhere,people are complaining.it is actually after he left and never came back.......maybe it is a good thing for him to come back.

He is wealthy but not that important - he is retired. What is he going to do with all his money, even if unfrozen? Invest in some beer company? He has lost/sold his business empire, he can't start over again, too old, and too big for anyone to "make room".

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

Maybe he actually believed in the rule of law. :D

Or, he believed that because everybody else has been very comfortable to eat with and from him he won't be punished.

Well, lets wait and see. His assets may have been frozen, but so far nothing went to trial yet.

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :o

One thing I don't get is why didn't he take his booty along with him. It was on the cards that they'd confiscate it.

Or, he believed that because everybody else has been very comfortable to eat with and from him he won't be punished.

Well, lets wait and see. His assets may have been frozen, but so far nothing went to trial yet.

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :o

freezing his assetts does not cause him to lose everything ... it just prevents him from spending the $$ until the trials

Hammered included a link on another thread to the law governing the freezing of assets in the UK. You will be surprised to find that similar actions without a trial are perfectly legal in the UK and I would imagine given the war on terror that the US has similar laws on the books. Hence, while it doesn't seem fair, it is perfectly legal in many other countries as well.

My feelings towards the Ex-PM are mixed .... yes he was a <deleted>, but he was the first person in power to do something for the people I live with every day..... so I would just tell him to read the latest adds.

Health Insurance

30% off Full International Cover! Free Online Quotes in Seconds

HorizonHealthPlans.com/bupa

Ads by Google - Advertise on this site

And wear a kevlar suit :o

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :D

Hammered included a link on another thread to the law governing the freezing of assets in the UK. You will be surprised to find that similar actions without a trial are perfectly legal in the UK and I would imagine given the war on terror that the US has similar laws on the books. Hence, while it doesn't seem fair, it is perfectly legal in many other countries as well.

It maybe the law in other countries,but would these countries ..with a junta :o ,prevent the accused from returning to face these charges?I think not.

Edited by chuchok

Again I will state,that I never liked Taksin,but I fail to comprehend the posters on here that agree with him loosing everything without a trial. :D

It maybe the law in other countries,but would these countries ..with a junta :o ,prevent the accused from returning to face these charges?I think not.

Guess you missed where the PM said he could come back and did not need permission?

Thaksin will return very soon: lawyer

Junta, govt say he can answer AEC's freezing of his family's assets

Wed, June 13, 2007 : Last updated 0:10 am (Thai local time)

On hearing the news the Thai Rak Thai Group - formerly the political party - announced 10,000 of its supporters would greet its ousted chief at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Military leaders said Thak-sin was welcome to end his self-imposed exile to defend himself against graft charges.

Noppadon said Thaksin was tired of being "bullied" by the junta.

"Thaksin's return [to politics]could come in many forms. He could give advice, financial support or run campaigns.

"If Thaksin is pressured or bullied too much this time,

he will fight back - as a par-

ticipant, not a spectator," Noppadon said.

Council for National Secu-rity chairman Sonthi Boonya-ratglin said: "There's nothing to worry about."

Noppadon said Thaksin's decision to end his exile was spurred by junta "bullying". The Assets Examination Committee freezing of his assets was the last straw, Noppadon said.

I remember when Thanom came back in '76, dressed up as a monk.

A lot of people died when village goons were let lose by military 'people' for a bit of revenge.

Mr T will come home dressed up as a film star, throwing 1000 Bt notes to the great unwashed.

Well if his stash is in cash they can always do what they did in the Philippines. When Marcos had a stash they reprinted all the money with a new design and require that the old notes to be turned in to the government directly to be exchanged. Then they made obsolete the old notes. It’s a bit like an ice fisherman waiting for something to come up for air.

I guess you did not ever get to the Marcos compound in Honolulu, or you would know that it did not matter what bills they reprinted. He had green backs, lots of them...LOL

"Thaksin's return [to politics]could come in many forms. He could give advice, financial support or run campaigns

appears that another court ruling has already bit the dust , or have I been asleep for 5 yrs ..............

My feelings towards the Ex-PM are mixed .... yes he was a <deleted>, but he was the first person in power to do something for the people I live with every day..... so I would just tell him to read the latest adds.

...and he was ELECTED...

...and he was ELECTED...

so what? Many dictators have been elected ... often it takes real action to dislodge them

...and he was ELECTED...

so what? Many dictators have been elected ... often it takes real action to dislodge them

No,it takes action by a military Junta. :o

Should that action be by an "X" at the ballot box or tanks in the street. Tanks in the street just exchange your dictators. The problem with Tank based dictatorships is, you can't get rid of them unless you get a bigger tank, the "X" does not work in tank based systems.

....My feelings towards the Ex-PM are mixed .... yes he was a <deleted>, but he was the first person in power to do something for the people I live with every day.....

Firstly I fully endorse that Thaksin is entitled to be considered innocent until/if found guilty. However, my family say the same sort of thing "he has done so much for us, he is a good man".

I have pointed out to them IF he and his family ARE guilty of most of what they are being accused of, then Thaksin and his party have not only denied the Thai people of a legal General Election (which I feel he and the TRT would have won had they decided not to cheat (already found guilty of that prior to the Coup when the Election was ruled void)

BUT ALSO he and his family (IF the accusation are found to be true have tried robbed Thailand's people of Billions of Tax by evasion which I am sure Thailand could use.

As I said to my family when a person/people are elected by the people to run a Government they are expected to do their best without feathering their own private nests and certainly not by illegal means. Time will tell if Thaksin is saint or sinner

Yes Thaksin and the TRT did seem to bring in some good ideas and help the poor BUT IF the allegations are found to be true then there would have been MORE in the Governments coffers to be able to do good and help the Thai people (be it relatively small in the overall Tax revenue of Thailand) instead of Thaksin and his family (and cronies).

Just because a person/people do some good that does not give them (or their families) permission to pay themselves with evaded Taxes (as I said IF the allegations are proven to be true).

I for one will pass judgement when official charges are laid and the outcome known. I suspect if any charges get the guilty verdict all Thaksin supporters will say the judges, juries and whoever was involved were bribed, pressurised or were out to get Thaksin. Clearly few believe there are any genuinely good moral men in Thailand able to pass judgement according to Thai criminal or civil law ONLY- VERY SAD.

Regards, Dave

Guess you missed where the PM said he could come back and did not need permission?

I Guess you missed the many months where THE UNELECTED JUNTA said that he was not welcome in his own country. :D

Edited by chuchok

Should that action be by an "X" at the ballot box or tanks in the street. Tanks in the street just exchange your dictators. The problem with Tank based dictatorships is, you can't get rid of them unless you get a bigger tank, the "X" does not work in tank based systems.

you need to read up on Thailand's history ... this is NOT Canada :o