Gun toting monk - with an arsenal in his quarters - defrocked in the north

webfact

1 hour ago, yeahbutif said:

The policeman who killed the nurse on a zebra crossing I believe is now a mook..

No he is not a mook! He only briefly became a monk until the cremation ceremony of his victim.

It's not unusual. My wife's son briefly 'took the robes' when his father died. He's now back in his army uniform following the cremation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

Are monks routinely defrocked before they have been found guilty of an offence in either a criminal or religious  court?

In every case that I've read about on TV/ASEAN, a monk who has committed a criminal offence is immediately defrocked and then charged. And that's a lot of monks in the eight years I've been around here.

So I guess it's standard practice.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

In every case that I've read about on TV/ASEAN, a monk who has committed a criminal offence is immediately defrocked and then charged. And that's a lot of monks in the eight years I've been around here.

So I guess it's standard practice.

As you say that appears to be the norm but a bit unjust if an "accusation" turn out to be false.

I am not saying that is so in this case has he seems to admit to firing the weapons but is it fair to be unfrocked before conviction?

If they did that in the RC Church there would not be many men wearing priest's collars!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DezLez said:

As you say that appears to be the norm but a bit unjust if an "accusation" turn out to be false.

I am not saying that is so in this case has he seems to admit to firing the weapons but is it fair to be unfrocked before conviction?

I understand that a practicing monk cannot be brought before a court on criminal charges, understandable in image conscious Thailand.

So, two choices. Defrock them or let them get away with it? Personally I'm quite comfortable with latter.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I understand that a practicing monk cannot be brought before a court on criminal charges, understandable in image conscious Thailand.

So, two choices. Defrock them or let them get away with it? Personally I'm quite comfortable with latter.

If, as you say, that is the situation here in Thailand then I totally agree.

If found not guilty later then their faith should sustain them when they are re-frocked (or whatever they do in that situation)!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

The thing is that monks not what they used to be 20-30 years ago many of them are entering the monk hood out of ulterior motives and with completely different ideas what a monk should represent and that is a great pity...

1 hour ago, DezLez said:

If, as you say, that is the situation here in Thailand then I totally agree.

If found not guilty later then their faith should sustain them when they are re-frocked (or whatever they do in that situation)!

There was an article 2 years ago in the Bangkok Post about criminals entering monkhood to escape from justice. I can't provide the link obviously but a google search soon revealed it to me.

CSD had just arrested 18 of them. It would appear that a rigorous 'background check' needs to be carried out before ordination.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ezzra said:

The thing is that monks not what they used to be 20-30 years ago many of them are entering the monk hood out of ulterior motives and with completely different ideas what a monk should represent and that is a great pity...

All religions modify themselves after in a while till it become clear they are joke.

• Confused 1

Here we come, walkin' down the street.
We get the funniest looks from every one we meet.
Hey, hey, we're the monksees
And people say we monksey around.
But we're too busy begging
To put anybody down.
We go wherever we want to,
Do what we like to do
We don't have time to get restless,
There's always something new.
We're just tryin' to be friendly,
Come and watch us sing and pray,
We're the young de-generation,
And we've got something to say.
Hey, hey, we're the monksees
Any time, or anywhere,
Just look over your shoulder
Guess who'll be standing there
Hey, hey, we're the monksees,
You never know where we'll be found.
So you'd better get ready,
We may be comin' to your town.

Well in Thailand and around the world there are a lot of monks.

Most of the monks are decent people and are dedicated to Buddhism.

We read of the ones who do stuff that they are not supposed to do, and they get defrocked.

It would be nice to hear that they cannot become a monk again, but I guess that

would take a good computer program.  I have met lots of monks who have been monks a lot of years and they do 

not behave like the ones we read about on this forum. I even have a few of my Thai family who are monks, and they

do not like seeing these, er ...  fake monks who become a monk for any reason other than to do good with 

their lives.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 2long said:

The rate and direction of these 'naughty monk' stories are going, there's bound to be some really serious news in the coming weeks! Any predictions?

"Naked drunken monk hi on ya-ba riding an elephant (that he had just raped) through a kindergarten, killing dozens of children, while shooting blindly at the crowd, and not wearing a mask!"

And a naked woman riding side saddle.

• Haha 2