Thailand Road carnage: Honda City unrecognisable as two men die in horror smash in Udon Thani

webfact

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath published a picture of a Honda City that collided with a ten wheel truck in Udon Thani last night.

It was unrecognisable.

It looks like DUI once again played a part.

Inside were two 40 year old men, Patiwat the driver and Udorn the front seat passenger.

They were crushed to death and had to be cut out before their bodies were taken to Soon Udon Thani medical center.

They had collided head on at a bend with a ten wheel truck.

The truck driver Chalong, 28, said he had made a cassava delivery to a factory and was on his way home.

They collided at speed on the bend.

He hit his head on the windshield and was slightly injured but his truck had front damage and a puncture and he had to pull over. 

Thana, 59, a friend of the City driver said he had seen the deceased drinking after a round of golf. 

The car apparently belonged to another person, a woman, who had left her bag at a restaurant with his friend going back to retrieve it.

Police are checking all involved for alcohol consumption. 

The accident occurred just after 9 pm on the Udon Thani to Don Kloi Road in Sam Phran near the university. 

Health insurance plans that meet the long stay visa requirements

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-02-24

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

What more its there to say... 

The lives of two families ruined because someone figured they are fine to drive after having a skin-full and its other people who have accidents, they are ok because they are careful. 

I know so many Thai’s (and a couple of westerners) who think this way, it is impossible to convince them otherwise.

That said, in this case it could have been the lorry on the wrong side of the road, but from what I can see of the photograph it appears the car is on the opposite side of the road facing on-coming traffic. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Police are checking all involved for alcohol consumption. 

Finally, kudos to the police - this should be the norm after any and every accident on the roads.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Welcome to the slaughter house, officially know as the Thai roads.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Welcome to the slaughter house, officially know as the Thai roads.

And the slaughter will continue unabated because the police are not doing their job of SYSTEMATICALLY fining and/or arresting those criminal drivers. But that is not going to happen any time soon. 

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I know so many Thai’s (and a couple of westerners) who think this way, it is impossible to convince them otherwise.

The best remark I read here in a long time.

And I know more than a couple of Westerners that adapted to the "Thai culture" and need to gorgle every day a few bottles of Leo beer down their troath and drive home on their motorbike (mostly with their Thai girly on the other seat?

Thai media has now got it into their heads to publish more and more "horror" accidents.

I assume they think this is some form od vindication or justification ... of WHAT?

The truth is that STILL there is no scientific effort to analyse why Thai road safety is in si=uch a mess.

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The lives of two families ruined because someone figured they are fine to drive after having a skin-full and its other people who have accidents, they are ok because they are careful. 

That said, in this case it could have been the lorry on the wrong side of the road, but from what I can see of the photograph it appears the car is on the opposite side of the road facing on-coming traffic. 

Finally, kudos to the police - this should be the norm after any and every accident on the roads.

there are people like this all over the world - the difference is other countries to stuff to stop them.

Edited by Thunglom

12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Kudos? - talk about shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted!

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Are you joking? Have you missed all statistics?

Just US 13 against Thailand 32 per 100 000 persons. But ok, it´s almost same, right? Really? What planet did you just land from? Don´t forget your test at arrival. 

Well, if those figures are right, they are fairly close compared to the UK - 1 per 100,000. Maybe the USA is also a 3rd world country ????

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Are you joking? Have you missed all statistics?

Not joking.

I'm correct. you are classic example of someone who doesn't understand the statistics.

You are ignoring the fact that 73% of fatalities (and there are many other valid stats) are riders and passengers of motorcycles.

It's sad that people think that just because they know how to operate a car, they are "experts" on road safety.

It's also interesting to note that UK and Thailand have very similar numbers factual collisions.

Edited by Thunglom

2 hours ago, rickudon said:

Well, if those figures are right, they are fairly close compared to the UK - 1 per 100,000. Maybe the USA is also a 3rd world country ????

Death rate in USA is 4 or 5 times higher than the UK.

in reality the USA does not have road safety record to be proud of.

If you look at the EU, you can see good results.