Renewal Of 5 Year Driver's License, expired because out of the country due to Covid

geejay

35 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

My error in assuming that since both my licenses have had a different number each time I renewed (6 different numbers) that it was universal, all of them are laminated. So TIT YMMV

OK, noted. 

BTW, thanks for your previous comments regarding rules.

Lots of good information. 

????

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

20 hours ago, bbko said:

I never understand why some people use an agency to get a license.  Is it laziness or the inability to understand basic instructions?

Or they have better things to do, or health issues make standing in lines hard. One deterrent for me is I likely need a COR which means queuing at immigration too. 

Mine expired in April last year so I decided to get my worker to drive me when I  needed to go any were.   I am 75 my worker is my partners brother who has worked for me 5 days a week for 11 years.  He is now noted on my car insurance so much easier for me.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:06 PM, rickudon said:

I renewed my 5 year licence a week ago (in Udon Thani). It was 10 months expired, not a problem. You need to apply online, watch a video, answer a few simple questions and then select where and when to get your appointment. In some areas all appointments are booked for weeks, try a smaller more rural centre if that is an issue (what i did). Take the required documents, do traffic light test and brake test, take a photo, pay, pick up licence 10 minutes later. Whole process at the test centre took about 1 hour, their were sufficient socially distanced seats (there is a cap on the number of appointments each day).

can you please explain how the brake test and traffic light test work as last time I had some problems understanding and almost failed, when is it the time to brake when Yellow or Red as I always brake on yellow and they kept saying it was wrong, have to renew soon and need to be prepared, thks

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for late reply. First they did a colour test - just had to shout out the colour (red, yellow, green) about 10 times. The brake test - put your foot on the pedal and watch for a red light to appear, then brake. Does take maybe 2 attempts to get the feel of it, but they will let you do it until you get it right about 3 times in a row.

• 3 months later...
On 3/1/2022 at 5:35 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

You completely misunderstand the rules.

Your Thai license is invalid for driving the day it expires. 
The regulations allow for renewal with no special extra requirements up to 1 year. Your new license has a different number.

Between 1 year and 3 years expired you are required to do a theory test. (Your license can be renewed) Your new license has a different number.

Over 3 years you are required to do a driving test and theory test. (Your license can be renewed) Your new license has a different number.

On each renewal you get a different license number. 

The procedure you outline is not within the driving license regulations. 

Your DLT office may go outside the regulations, many others will not. Others may try your procedure, they may get lucky or the DLT office may enforce the license renewal requirements.

this is once again TIT YMMV

Well.. seems we are going in circles.. I do understand the rules the same as you.. Im just saying they told me to take theory and practical exam once again after 1.5 years already. I know they practice 3 years sometimes. I have also just been told that.. However.. 1 year seems to be the norm here in Phuket. However.. I produced an international license and asked them to just renew it again or convert it you might say. This was withing their capability and was so done. However.. In the end they gave up that and just gave me a license since it as they said it did not make sense to replace the old with a new one since i had the license already for 15 years. Anyway.. It was good for me since i then got 5 more years and not the regulatory 2 on a new one which i anticipated i had to do.

I am not saying anything you say is wrong.. ????

anyone know the latest requirements for doing a 5year to 5 year licence renewal at pattaya DLT, i have done the online 1 hour video, ie having to book an appointment, doctor letter, immigration letter copies of passport etc. thanks 

I did it a few months ago in Pattaya. You have to go in person to make an appointmwnt. The paper they give you with date of your appontment also has a list of what you have to provide. They are well organised and was out with my new license after 90 minutes.

• Like 2