Start ED visa without leaving Thailand?

Hello Hive Mind,

Now that the 2 month "amnesty visas"/"covid extensions"/whatever you want to call it seem to be finished, I'm looking at my options to start my ED visa with the minimal possible hassle and travel.  

I paid for my ED visa just before all the travel restrictions started, and it seems its time to finally start it.  

I prefer to avoid traveling out of Thailand and back into Thailand just to start this visa, if possible.  My school has had some students pay a "fee" to an immigration office in another province to start the ED visa without leaving Thailand.  I'm not sure if that option is still available.

Any thoughts/tips/contacts/resources?  

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Talk to an agent, they will tell you if it's still possible or not. I imagine it will be because the borders are still closed. What type visa did you arrive on and are you sure your ED visa is still valid?

Thank you.  My teacher had heard the Ranong border would be opening.  My last ED visa ended about a year ago and I've been on these 2 month "covid extensions" since.  I have paid the school for my next ED visa already, but we haven't yet been able to start it, immigration wasn't allowing new ED visas to be started lately, just the 2 month extensions.

Where did you get this information about Ranong border?

18 hours ago, twizzler3b said:

Thank you.  My teacher had heard the Ranong border would be opening.  My last ED visa ended about a year ago and I've been on these 2 month "covid extensions" since.  I have paid the school for my next ED visa already, but we haven't yet been able to start it, immigration wasn't allowing new ED visas to be started lately, just the 2 month extensions.

But yes, you are gonna have to pay if you don't want to leave.  And leaving is expensive too.  Not sure why your school wants you to leave if they already issued you the ED visa though.

13 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

But yes, you are gonna have to pay if you don't want to leave.  And leaving is expensive too.  Not sure why your school wants you to leave if they already issued you the ED visa though.

Paid the school, but were unable to issue the ED visa yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twizzler3b said:

Paid the school, but were unable to issue the ED visa yet.

if you want small vacation, go to cambodia or phillipines.  both open.  but probably cost ya 20-25k total to go and come back.

if you have important stuff to do here and travel is a pain, then paying would be your better option imo.

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

When using a Non Ed visa with an informal school, there is a long standing rule that you can only extend up until the one year anniversary of your arrival in Thailand. Assuming that rule is still in effect, the school cannot provide you with the education course (and associated extensions) unless you leave and re-enter Thailand first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dart12 said:

The teacher at my language school had heard that, I think from the Phuket immigration officers she keeps in contact with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

When using a Non Ed visa with an informal school, there is a long standing rule that you can only extend up until the one year anniversary of your arrival in Thailand. Assuming that rule is still in effect, the school cannot provide you with the education course (and associated extensions) unless you leave and re-enter Thailand first.

I have no idea.  Agent quoted me an ED visa for 1 year and I don't have to leave...and I've been here 2 years already.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

I have no idea.  Agent quoted me an ED visa for 1 year and I don't have to leave...and I've been here 2 years already.

Dart12, which province are you in?  Possibly care to share your agent's contact info with me?  Is that ok here?  Or is direct messaging a thing here?

I know some other students here recently did the same.  Basically paid an extra fee to an immigration office in another province, 13,000 or 14,000 baht I think.

Thanks for the info.

19 minutes ago, Dart12 said:

Is that with a language school, or with a formal school such as a university? Do you already have a non-immigrant visa of any kind?

1 minute ago, twizzler3b said:

Dart12, which province are you in?  Possibly care to share your agent's contact info with me?  Is that ok here?  Or is direct messaging a thing here?

I know some other students here recently did the same.  Basically paid an extra fee to an immigration office in another province, 13,000 or 14,000 baht I think.

Thanks for the info.

Jomtien.  this was for the whole visa package .  It's 89k.  I don't think you need that though?

expensive.

3 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Is that with a language school, or with a formal school such as a university? Do you already have a non-immigrant visa of any kind?

I'm talking nuts and bolts with them monday. I want actual classes with it, but they did not expect that request haha

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Caldera said:

Yes. I was switched to volunteer when they told us to get something long term or scram...then they did amnesty.

• 1 month later...
On 2/26/2022 at 8:29 PM, Onerak said:

Wait for nomad visa. Coming up in May. for five years 10K Baht. No 90-day reporting. 

You may want to look at the details of that visa, if it does happen.  When I read through it I saw it as very unrealistic for all the digital nomads I know.  Long list of requirements that exclude almost everyone.