New US COVID guidelines allow most Americans to go mask-free

meechai

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

About time the silliness started to end.

Personally, I used it as a measure of someone intelligence, and it certain explains why the world is in th state it is.

Me too, although I assume we have different criteria. 

I don't think Thailand is at the same place yet as in the USA on this as far as both vaccinations and infection saturation. 

The "most" reference in the CDC policy means that about 30% of the U.S. still lives in areas where COVID cases and hospitalizations are so high that face mask wear is recommended to continue. And, the areas where face mask wear is recommended to be voluntary have low case and hospitalization rates.

The CDC's policy revision wasn't any kind of repudiation of face mask wear during the COVID pandemic, but rather, a recognition that in at least much of the U.S., COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths are falling substantially -- unlike in Thailand where all three of those things are still rising.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've been told here, recently anyway, that there really is no legal mandate to wear a mask.

MOPH Confirms No Legal Obligations For People To Wear Face Masks

He is concerned, however, about some international tourists who do not wear face masks while in Thailand and stated that the ministry will discuss the problem with the CCSA. He understands that the practice may not be used in other countries, but he encourages them to comply with the country’s public health regulations.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG220203155951127

But one can never be sure with thai "regulations".

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Sorry, who's "they"?

Those who stipulate the entry requirements for air arrivals in the US.  At this point it's similar to Thailand, there's no point in 'keeping it out' as it's already here in (likely) greater numbers than where you're arriving from.   

1 minute ago, Heng said:

Those who stipulate the entry requirements for air arrivals in the US.  

Sorry, what's your point?

U.S. citizens returning to the U.S. need a negative pre-departure antigen test. There is not test on arrival in the U.S.

Non-U.S. citizens must be fully vaccinated, and need a negative antigen pre-departure test. There is not a test on arrival in the U.S.

So still unclear on your statement

4 hours ago, Heng said:

Hopefully they get rid of the PCR test for arrivals as well like some EU countries have.  

But maybe it makes sense to you?

• Like 1

After 2 years of it, IMO time to face reality ( it's everywhere now- not going to keep it out any more ), man up and scrap all the mandates. If people are scared, let them be responsible for themselves. If they want to say that people refusing to get the vaccination should have to pay if end up in hospital, that OK with me, but they should at least at least provide an affordable insurance in that case.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Sorry, what's your point?

U.S. citizens returning to the U.S. need a negative pre-departure antigen test. There is not test on arrival in the U.S.

Non-U.S. citizens must be fully vaccinated, and need a negative antigen pre-departure test. There is not a test on arrival in the U.S.

So still unclear on your statement

But maybe it makes sense to you?

Yeah, I meant the pre-departure test.   And yeah, it was poorly worded.   

Mask mandates were established way back whenever but I will use July 27, 2021 when CDC recommended fully vaccinated begin wearing masks again while indoors. At that time (27-07-2021) US saw the following covid stats:

Covid deaths: 303/day

new covid cases: 60,000/day.

On February 28, 2022 Biden announced lifting of mask mandates as did many states and the following covid stats were reported on Feb 28:

Covid deaths: 1800/day

new covid cases: 68,000/day

data source: covid data

LoL, Science

Dr. Gerald Harmon, president of the American Medical Association:

"But even as some jurisdictions lift masking requirements, we must grapple with the fact that millions of people in the U.S. are immunocompromised, more susceptible to severe COVID outcomes, or still too young to be eligible for the vaccine.

In light of those facts, I personally will continue to wear a mask in most indoor public settings, and I urge all Americans to consider doing the same, especially in places like pharmacies, grocery stores, on public transportation -- locations all of us, regardless of vaccination status or risk factors, must visit regularly," Harmon said.

"Although masks may no longer be required indoors in many parts of the U.S., we know that wearing a well-fitted mask is an effective way to protect ourselves and our communities, including the most vulnerable, from COVID-19—particularly in indoor settings when physical distancing is not possible."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/health/cdc-covid-metrics-mask-guidance/index.html

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Dr. Gerald Harmon, president of the American Medical Association:

"But even as some jurisdictions lift masking requirements, we must grapple with the fact that millions of people in the U.S. are immunocompromised, more susceptible to severe COVID outcomes, or still too young to be eligible for the vaccine.

In light of those facts, I personally will continue to wear a mask in most indoor public settings, and I urge all Americans to consider doing the same, especially in places like pharmacies, grocery stores, on public transportation -- locations all of us, regardless of vaccination status or risk factors, must visit regularly," Harmon said.

"Although masks may no longer be required indoors in many parts of the U.S., we know that wearing a well-fitted mask is an effective way to protect ourselves and our communities, including the most vulnerable, from COVID-19—particularly in indoor settings when physical distancing is not possible."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/health/cdc-covid-metrics-mask-guidance/index.html

So, let all the "immunocompromised, more susceptible to severe COVID outcomes, or still too young to be eligible for the vaccine" wear a mask and take whatever steps they think necessary to protect themselves, and leave the rest of us to not wear one and live our lives as we think fit.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2022 at 4:38 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh my, that's going to upset a few on here that want everyone to wear the things. They are so invested in them that it must be upsetting as more countries remove mask mandates.

Hopefully even NZ will do so, and the sooner the better IMO.

What are on about.

The idea that mask mandates and other public health measures would be removed as vaccination uptake slowed hospitalizations has been a fixture in discussions on this forum.

Your assertion that anyone is ‘invested’ in mask mandates is a strawman argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2022 at 5:49 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The "most" reference in the CDC policy means that about 30% of the U.S. still lives in areas where COVID cases and hospitalizations are so high that face mask wear is recommended to continue. And, the areas where face mask wear is recommended to be voluntary have low case and hospitalization rates.

The CDC's policy revision wasn't any kind of repudiation of face mask wear during the COVID pandemic, but rather, a recognition that in at least much of the U.S., COVID cases, hospitalizations and deaths are falling substantially -- unlike in Thailand where all three of those things are still rising.

Precisely, but of course the ‘free thinkers’ are in chorus claiming this a victory for all the anti-vaccines, anti-public health measures garbage they’ve married their heads to.

• Haha 1

After a brief dust-up at the Combine...the first of the big professional leagues to do this.

NFL suspends its COVID-19 protocols, citing national decrease in case count

The National Football League and its players association have agreed to end the league's COVID-19 protocols, according to an internal memo obtained by CBS News on Thursday. Effectively immediately, players will no longer be required to follow the rules implemented at the beginning of the pandemic, making the NFL one of the first major sports leagues to drop its COVID-19 protocols. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nfl-covid-protocol-suspended-masks-vaccination/

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2022 at 3:01 PM, Chomper Higgot said:

Precisely, but of course the ‘free thinkers’ are in chorus claiming this a victory for all the anti-vaccines, anti-public health measures garbage they’ve married their heads to.

I don't know about that, but IMO many have had a gutsful of the mandates and governments have to be concerned about the massive anti mandate protests going on. If they can't defeat it after 2 years and all the socially destructive mandates, I doubt they ever will. IMO it'll be like the flu- some will get a jab every year and the rest will live with it. They won't be obsessing over it like now though.

Most I speak about it with are so over it all, if they were ever invested in it to begin with.

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't know about that, but IMO many have had a gutsful of the mandates and governments have to be concerned about the massive anti mandate protests going on. If they can't defeat it after 2 years and all the socially destructive mandates, I doubt they ever will. IMO it'll be like the flu- some will get a jab every year and the rest will live with it. They won't be obsessing over it like now though.

Most I speak about it with are so over it all, if they were ever invested in it to begin with.

‘Massive ant-mandate protests’?

Their ‘we are fighting tyranny’ and ‘freedom or death’ mantras are ringing a bit hollow these days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Massive ant-mandate protests’?

Their ‘we are fighting tyranny’ and ‘freedom or death’ mantras are ringing a bit hollow these days. 

Is this "massive" enough for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/article/canada-trucker-protests.html

For weeks, Canadian protesters fighting vaccine requirements have paralyzed Ottawa and key border crossings, inspired demonstrations around the globe and injected political instability into the stunned top of Canadian government.

>

>

The weeks of protests have become one of the most visible, and contagious, eruptions of anti-vaccine anger around the world. Similar caravans have clogged traffic on the streets of Belgium, France, New Zealand and even Finland.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Is this "massive" enough for you?

https://www.nytimes.com/article/canada-trucker-protests.html

For weeks, Canadian protesters fighting vaccine requirements have paralyzed Ottawa and key border crossings, inspired demonstrations around the globe and injected political instability into the stunned top of Canadian government.

>

>

The weeks of protests have become one of the most visible, and contagious, eruptions of anti-vaccine anger around the world. Similar caravans have clogged traffic on the streets of Belgium, France, New Zealand and even Finland.

Any updates?

• Confused 1