Buying used car from dealer - paying VAT etc.

HauptmannUK

I have previously bought new cars in Thailand and also used cars from private sellers. In the case of the new car the VAT is included in the price. For a private-sale there is no VAT.

What about a used car from a dealer? A Thai friend tells me there is 7% VAT to be added to the dealer's advertised price when paying cash outright for the car, but credit purchases already have 7% VAT included in the quoted repayment figures.

Anyone been through this and can confirm?

2 hours ago, illiterate said:

Are you really asking if you are going to get out of paying a major tax? Future reference, the answer will always be no

Seems you've chosen a very appropriate username. No, of course I am not asking if I am 'going to get out of paying a major tax'. I think the question in my original post is clear enough.

• Like 2

On 2/27/2022 at 6:48 PM, HauptmannUK said:

For a private-sale there is no VAT.

What about a used car from a dealer? A Thai friend tells me there is 7% VAT to be added to the dealer's advertised price when paying cash outright for the car

VAT is not chargeable to the buyer for used cars unless you're buying from an auction.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in Samui yesterday and was offered a 6 months old car, by a dealer, at a reasonable price, 390000thb. There was no VAT to pay if I had bought the car outright, but if I had paid a 25% deposit, the repayment of 292500tbh over 48 months was subject to 4.75% interest + VAT at 7%. I calculated the monthly repayments at 6831thb(292500/48=6094 +4.75%=6384+7%=6831), but the dealer, backed up by the Hire Purchase rep arrived at 7760thb per month. The 7% had to be applied to the balance each year, which I could not believe was correct. Anyone know better?

Needless to say I declined the offer.