After watching the film, ICE STORM, directed by an Asian, Ang Lee, how has this film affected you, after 25 years? And, don't we just love this film, as a cult film, almost as much as we love The Big Chill?

If you reacted as I did, the first time I saw this movie, and I have viewed it several times during the past 25 years, you would have been surprised that some guy out of Taiwan could create such a magnificent film.  How did he do it, many questioned, coming from such an insular island as Taiwan.

Maybe it is because Ang Lee is a genius, a director who also created Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, another film which was, and still is, dear to our hearts, even after the setting of that film has completely changed as a result of so many political redirections and intrigue on the island of Formosa.

Two spectacular films.

How has ICE STORM affected you?

This film is a retrospective view, though not completely accurate, of the times we knew well in the late 60s.

Maybe, like you, I wait for about five years between viewings, and then I watch ICE STORM once again, just to relive my youth, and love doing so.

One of the things I find most endearing about this film is the bowl full of car keys, a lottery to swap husbands and wives for sex, even better than a Thailand full moon party .

The thing which impresses me most about this film is just how much Ang Lee gets right about those great times in the 1960s.

Up tight, upper crust, and still getting down with neighbors husbands and wives in neighborhoods I remember so well.

I just wish that things could be so free, today, in my neighborhood here where I am.

Great film from Ang Lee.

Also, an amazing conclusion to the film.

Same-same everywhere, when you party too hardy, even here in Thailand, you often end up with a rather sorrowful ending.

Ang Lee:  ICE STORM

Such an amazing film that is unforgettable, even now.

Enjoy.

Regards,

Glob

Note:  If you might be feeling bored, now that the virus has become endemic, perhaps this film might do the trick for you....  And, this film might remind you of home.....if you are feeling homesick.

22 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I wait for about five years between viewings, and then I watch ICE STORM once again

Yep, that´s one way to make sure the library of movies never ends.

I believe that one of the nice things I may have to look forward to, during my impending and inescapable period of dementia, should I live so long, and when I am incarcerated in a home for invalids, is to watch this Ang Lee film playing repeatedly before me, over and over, on a high-quality 3D headset.

I grew up in a neighborhood just like the one pictured in this film.

Same people.

Same-same.

I loved it.

Such nostalgia do I feel, just watching this classic film.

Thank you, Ang Lee, wherever you are.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

How has ICE STORM affected you?

Never saw it yet, but I'm sure I have the dvd somewhere, so I'll try and watch it soon to know.

On 3/3/2022 at 12:20 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

One of the things I find most endearing about this film is the bowl full of car keys, a lottery to swap husbands and wives for sex, even better than a Thailand full moon party .

No wonder I find marriage to be a nonsense. If people don't care enough about their partner to be monogamous, what is the point of getting married?

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Never saw it yet, but I'm sure I have the dvd somewhere, so I'll try and watch it soon to know.

No wonder I find marriage to be a nonsense. If people don't care enough about their partner to be monogamous, what is the point of getting married?

You are so right.

There is really no point in doing so.

And, cheating on one's spouse causes such great harm to another person.

Enjoy Ice Storm, if you please.

I am sure, with your sensibility, you will enjoy it.

Tks for your thoughts.

• Like 1

how has this film affected you, .............................? And, don't we just love this film, as a cult film, almost as much as we love The Big Chill?

Watched it last night, and the only effect on me was to want to punch certain characters till they woke up and appreciated their affluent lifestyle.

Didn't love the Big Chill either.

The puzzle for me is why Ang Lee wanted to make this film, given it's IMO about human drones that fill no meaningful function in life other than consume and engage in mediocre sex ( or not at all, even with a husband ).

I had no connection on an emotional level with any of the characters. The anime "I want to eat your pancreas" was more emotional for me than the death of that kid at the end of the movie.

The movie seemed to me to have something profound to say, but it was struggling to get out, and given it is a movie that I never want to watch again, I, for one, will not be discovering it.

Weaver deserves an oscar for portraying what must be one of the nastiest female characters I've seen in a long time.

Made in 1997, what was blazingly obvious was that it was not PC or woke in any way. Not a single ethic minority inserted for no good reason. How the movies have fallen since those days!

13 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

how has this film affected you, .............................? And, don't we just love this film, as a cult film, almost as much as we love The Big Chill?

Watched it last night, and the only effect on me was to want to punch certain characters till they woke up and appreciated their affluent lifestyle.

Didn't love the Big Chill either.

The puzzle for me is why Ang Lee wanted to make this film, given it's IMO about human drones that fill no meaningful function in life other than consume and engage in mediocre sex ( or not at all, even with a husband ).

I had no connection on an emotional level with any of the characters. The anime "I want to eat your pancreas" was more emotional for me than the death of that kid at the end of the movie.

The movie seemed to me to have something profound to say, but it was struggling to get out, and given it is a movie that I never want to watch again, I, for one, will not be discovering it.

Weaver deserves an oscar for portraying what must be one of the nastiest female characters I've seen in a long time.

Made in 1997, what was blazingly obvious was that it was not PC or woke in any way. Not a single ethic minority inserted for no good reason. How the movies have fallen since those days!

Dear Sir,

If this film, IYHO, is NG, which I respect, then, just out of curiosity, how were you affected by Eat, Drink, Man, Woman?

Films are a cultural thing, as we all know, and what goes over well for one culture seems lacking to those from a different culture.

I grew up in one culture, which is to say that I identify with Ice Storm, The Big Chill, and Five Easy Pieces for that matter.

Some books appeal to some, and not to others.

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at Ice Storm....  Next time, I hope I can find a better film for you, and I will do my best.

Take care, Man!

11 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Sir,

If this film, IYHO, is NG, which I respect, then, just out of curiosity, how were you affected by Eat, Drink, Man, Woman?

Films are a cultural thing, as we all know, and what goes over well for one culture seems lacking to those from a different culture.

I grew up in one culture, which is to say that I identify with Ice Storm, The Big Chill, and Five Easy Pieces for that matter.

Some books appeal to some, and not to others.

Anyway, thank you for taking a look at Ice Storm....  Next time, I hope I can find a better film for you, and I will do my best.

Take care, Man!

Never saw Eat, Drink, Man, Woman, and don't have a dvd of it so probably never will.

My movie preferences at the moment are Japanese anime, especially Ghibli movies, but I tend to watch any genre if I think it looks interesting. Unfortunately, the quality of movies has gone down since covid, and I don't see many as Hollywood has decided that woke is in, which means I'm out. Besides, with the cost of petrol now, it has to be something important to get me driving.