Delivery Service Sector Rakes In 44 Billion Baht in 2020

webfact

f9247211a7994a1d1dadcebb4da8b65b_small.jpg

by Thammarat Thadaphrom

BANGKOK (NNT) - The Department of Business Development (DBD) has revealed that the document and parcel delivery service sector grew exponentially in 2021 from 2020. The department attributed the success to the rise in popularity of online shopping.

DBD Director-General Thosapone Dansuputra made the statement citing data from the department. He said that the segment saw 560 new businesses registered in 2021, more than 200% from 2020. The value of combined assets and debts in the sector in 2020 was at 10.9 billion baht, an increase of 88.28% from the previous year. Officials are still waiting for data for the 2021 value of combined assets and debts.

Revenue from the segment in 2020 was recorded at 44.8 billion baht, a 39.12% jump from 2019.

Thai businesses invested the most in this sector at 4.7 billion baht, followed by their Chinese counterparts at 65.7 million baht, Hong Kong at 18.41 million baht, German at 13.77 million baht, and others at 125.12 million baht.

Aside from the rise of online shopping, the DBD Director-General said there are other factors contributing to the growth of the delivery sector. These include the improvement in the logistics system, aggressive marketing campaigns, online payment, and a fiercely competitive environment.

nnt.jpg
-- © Copyright NNT 2022-03-04

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

1 minute ago, kotsak said:

The department attributed the success to the rise in popularity of online shopping.

They are joking right? Covid hasn't happened..

Similar situation in the UK.........Tories claiming they have tackled violent crime and reduced overall crime (excluding fraud, which isn't really a crime) by 14%......HELLO.....we have all been locked up indoors for 18 months.

• Like 1

I have noticed that the minimum delivery fee on Lazada has increased to 32 baht, sometimes a lot higher (64 baht) for simple items.  Larger items can be as high as 300 baht.  It pays to spend some time going through the listings.  I found the same tool cabinet priced the same at three vendors, yet the delivery charge was 230 baht, 300 baht and free respectively.

I am finding with shopee that the only option is delivery - presumably something in it for them. Why can't things be posted? It kinda annoys me that I have to call back the delivery driver [who calls and hangs up] and then stop what i am doing and go down 30 floors to collect an item from him as repeatedly asking him to just leave it with reception falls on deaf ears.

Any suggestions? It is preventing me from ordering unless I really want something.

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

I am finding with shopee that the only option is delivery - presumably something in it for them. Why can't things be posted? It kinda annoys me that I have to call back the delivery driver [who calls and hangs up] and then stop what i am doing and go down 30 floors to collect an item from him as repeatedly asking him to just leave it with reception falls on deaf ears.

Any suggestions? It is preventing me from ordering unless I really want something.

... maybe you could add a respective note to your address like 'deliver to reception' in Thai & EN?

Would then appear printed on each parcel ...

what I would wonder is when (not if, but when) we resume a more normal post-covid lifestyle, to include retail shipping, how will this sector fare?

I do think it’s here to stay— but… I wonder what will the growth rate slow to.. and if so, how will the market mature (ie consolidation etc)

I think it’s really going to put the brick and mortar shops in a position that they’ll now how to show a “value-added” proportion to shopping in-person versus delivery..

and going forward, how will delivery costs be factored into the whole pricing algorithm. 

Grab shares crash nearly 40% after posting a $1 billion loss

By Michelle Toh, CNN Business

Updated 0426 GMT (1226 HKT) March 4, 2022

Hong Kong (CNN Business) - Grab, the Southeast Asian startup known for its "super app," had a terrible Thursday.

The ride-hailing giant's stock plummeted as much as 37% in New York after reporting disappointing earnings.

It posted revenue of $122 million for the fourth quarter, down 44% from the previous year as the firm said it had "preemptively invested to grow" its number of drivers.

The company also lost $1.1 billion during the period, which it largely attributed to the costs of going public in the United States during its blockbuster initial public offering last year.

Grab's stock was down 0.9% in after-hours trade on Thursday, at about $3.28.

The slide came three months after the firm's debut on the Nasdaq, the largest ever on Wall Street by a Southeast Asian company.

Grab (GRAB) went public in December by merging with a special-purpose acquisition company, or SPAC. The company raised $4.5 billion in the deal, and was valued at nearly $40 billion.

In contrast, the company is now worth about $12.3 billion based on its current market capitalization.

Grab was founded in 2012, and quickly soared to become Southeast Asia's most valuable private company before its IPO.

It acquired Uber's Southeast Asia business in 2018, and has since expanded into a variety of other services, including food delivery, digital payments and even financial services.

In recent years, the firm has cast itself as a "super app," letting users do everything from booking rides to taking out insurance and loans. About 24 million people use the app each month to make a transaction, across 480 cities in eight countries as of 2021, Grab said in its latest earnings report.

There were some bright spots on Thursday: The company's full-year revenue for 2021 surged 44% year-on-year to $675 million, thanks to a jump in deliveries and financial services.

And despite the sizable loss, Grab "maintained category leadership across all our core verticals," Chief Financial Officer Peter Oey said in a statement.

"We remain laser focused on our path to profitability and will continue to improve our unit economics," he added.

I installed Grab and then uninstalled it as they drove me mad with emails and messages. These apps think they are the most important thing in your life. Once the easy money dries up they will be gone as they are loss making.

• Like 1