Nissan Wingroad... Is It A Waste Of Money?

Weho

I need a cheap car, but reliable for short drives, that has good air conditioning, is automatic... any info on this Wingroad? I see them all over...

How much are they in Thailand, new? Is there a deluxe model??? i doubt it... any info appreciated!

And what about a USED one? what's the story on that?

I need a cheap car, but reliable for short drives, that has good air conditioning, is automatic... any info on this Wingroad? I see them all over...

How much are they in Thailand, new? Is there a deluxe model??? i doubt it... any info appreciated!

I had one as my first car in Thailand.

It is a fun little car , very light and good to move around the city in.

Not good for long trips or passengers.

The Honda Jazz is a nice little car and I see used models often for sale with low kilo's.

I had a Nissan NV years ago and was quite impressed with it. It was dependable, easy to drive, rode good and had plenty of power. What more can you ask for?

I bought a Nissan NV, 1997 model with 160,000 km on the speedo,last year, for 135,000 baht. It's been dependable, but I doubt we've put 6000 km on it yet. Ours doesn't have the later Wingroad cap, or the teensy back seat. Very convenient. Of course, get it fully checked by a competent, independent mechanic before buying.

It's the only 4 wheeled vehicle I ever wanted in Thailand. If you need a cheap pickup, I think it's a good choice.

The first purchase for us in Thailand ..served us well but bigger family meant a bigger car ...the only mistake was not going for the auto box we went the cheapest route and bought manual ..in high traffic areas not the correct way to go . When we sold it the resale value was what we expected no real shocks and it sold easily

The absolute cheapest 4-wheeled motoring you can do in Thailand is probably to by a USED Nissan NV (Queen Cab / Wingroad, so not the very first model), then convert it to LPG gas (Plenty of space for the tank in the back :o

This would give you lowest cost with optimum reliability, easy for maintenance and repairs, etc. Plenty on offer too.

Don't buy one new. It would drop an instant 100K (if not 200K) driving it out of the showroom.

Another cheap option is the Suzuki Jeep, but those are a nightmare to drive anywhere other than off-road. :D

Edited by chanchao

The absolute cheapest 4-wheeled motoring you can do in Thailand is probably to by a USED Nissan NV (Queen Cab / Wingroad, so not the very first model), then convert it to LPG gas (Plenty of space for the tank in the back :o

This would give you lowest cost with optimum reliability, easy for maintenance and repairs, etc. Plenty on offer too.

Don't buy one new. It would drop an instant 100K (if not 200K) driving it out of the showroom.

Another cheap option is the Suzuki Jeep, but those are a nightmare to drive anywhere other than off-road. :D

I traded the Suzuki Jeep in on the NV. I had a lot of fun with the Suzuki but it did beat you to death and wasn't good in the city because it wouldn't turn sharp enough. After you intimidate the other drivers to let you make a "U" turn and then have to make a three point turn, it irritates them even more.

Ive got a Nissan NV Extra cab, its a great little car. Nippy little motor, handles great, we even took it camping with the kids at Doi Inthanon which has some steeps climes and it handled that with ease. Sure the extra cab is tiny but it does us atm as the kids are only 5 and 11 but I guess as they get older we will upgrade. We paid 150k for it, had 114,000 on the clock, done about another15,000 and had no problems whatsoever other than the usual things like belts, CV boots etc. Handy having the cab back for shopping and buying stuff to haul home. And I reckon when we upgrade we will get good resale as they tend to hold their value well. Worth looking at getting one IMHO..........

Sure the extra cab is tiny but it does us atm as the kids are only 5 and 11 but I guess as they get older we will upgrade.

Yeah, and also it lacks seatbelts in the back so you also can't fit child safety seats.. So I don't think they represent the ultimate in family transportation, they make a lot more sense if you're single / a couple on a budget.

weho from reading your posts you do get around, (i put that nice) but parking up in pattaya and bkk is not easy, if your not maybe gonna use it that much after youve had a run around maybe just hire one 5 days a month say 600 bhat a day =2,900 but someone else is paying for the taxes and tyres and sevicing etc.

and if you need one maybe hire one that you like already like this "wingroad" (i never heard of one) for a week or so and make sure it does everything you need of it!

i keep hiring toyota vios, only small good on juice auto central locking nippy and good on a run ideal for me but maybe not everyone.

Eh and dont forget to do a report on the ones you try out, i wont get into colours yet with ya!

p.s. if you do hire a car for a few days and ya like it you might be able to buy it after cos its low season and money is thin on the ground.

keep us posted!!

p.s. if you do hire a car for a few days and ya like it you might be able to buy it after cos its low season and money is thin on the ground.

keep us posted!!

good thought funfun, but I'd say stay away from buying cars for hire, even if you do like it for the few days of driving it. For me (and I'm sure many others), cars that i rent are like test vehicles for things i've always wanted to try, but wouldn't do with my car aka slamming on brakes from 120kph, reversing then flicking around then putting it back into a forward gear, e-braking around corners, the scandie flick, etc.....

last time i rented a little honda city from chiang mai - pai - mae hong son - chiang mai, oh did i put that car through the gauntlet. Thousands of turns (literally), 90-degree, 180-degree, you name it.... it was gear one-two-one-two for hours and hours.... but I gotta say the car didn't break down on me and only when I got back to chaing mai to return it did i notice the clutch slipping.... but for 1000 a day, i got my money's worth.

Needless to say, even if I had 'liked' the car, i would not recommend buying that particular one as funfun may have suggested, but rather searched for a second-hand car of the same make and model that hadn't been rented out to hundreds of people...

Sure the extra cab is tiny but it does us atm as the kids are only 5 and 11 but I guess as they get older we will upgrade.

Yeah, and also it lacks seatbelts in the back so you also can't fit child safety seats.. So I don't think they represent the ultimate in family transportation, they make a lot more sense if you're single / a couple on a budget.

Not the ultimate in family transportation by any stretch of the imagination but a lot safer than having three on a motor sai, especially around town. And its not very often that we are all the family in the car, but TO ME its just the thing for picking up the daughter from school, or as I said, shopping etc.......

Does exactly as it says on the box, a cheap basic form of transport. If your ego dictates buying 2 tonnes of metal you need a stepladder to get into and more leather than the village people then it's not for you. It's actually quite well designed but very ugly. Still, it's ideal for transporting turtles and bargain basement book collections

cars that i rent are like test vehicles for things i've always wanted to try, but wouldn't do with my car aka slamming on brakes from 120kph, reversing then flicking around then putting it back into a forward gear, e-braking around corners, the scandie flick, ...

... slamming the auto box in reverse while going forward at 50 km/h, rewiring the horn to the windscreen sprayer and switching left/right indicators, putting dead shrimp in the airconditioning system, masturbating on the seats, defacating in the boot, .... :o

Edited by chanchao

Bought a Wingroad for the wife about 18 months ago. She wanted pickup but after riding and driving one around she said no but on seeing the Wingroad she feel in love with it. We paid slightly over 400k for the thing out the door including first class insurance. It has the automatic and engine seems well suited for the vehicle. The ride is good but a little soft for me. Kind of has the feel of soft riding American cars and I prefer the stiffer European ride. Easy to park and the air con will freeze you out even on the hottest day.

Edited by ballbreaker

keep us posted!!

good thought funfun, but I'd say stay away from buying cars for hire, even if you do like it for the few days of driving it. For me (and I'm sure many others), cars that i rent are like test vehicles for things i've always wanted to try, but wouldn't do with my car aka slamming on brakes from 120kph, reversing then flicking around then putting it back into a forward gear, e-braking around corners, the scandie flick, etc.....

last time i rented a little honda city from chiang mai - pai - mae hong son - chiang mai, oh did i put that car through the gauntlet. Thousands of turns (literally), 90-degree, 180-degree, you name it.... it was gear one-two-one-two for hours and hours.... but I gotta say the car didn't break down on me and only when I got back to chaing mai to return it did i notice the clutch slipping.... but for 1000 a day, i got my money's worth.

Needless to say, even if I had 'liked' the car, i would not recommend buying that particular one as funfun may have suggested, but rather searched for a second-hand car of the same make and model that hadn't been rented out to hundreds of people...

God I hope your American, your not from the UK I hope :o

cars that i rent are like test vehicles for things i've always wanted to try, but wouldn't do with my car aka slamming on brakes from 120kph, reversing then flicking around then putting it back into a forward gear, e-braking around corners, the scandie flick, ...

... slamming the auto box in reverse while going forward at 50 km/h, rewiring the horn to the windscreen sprayer and switching left/right indicators, putting dead shrimp in the airconditioning system, masturbating on the seats, defacating in the boot, .... :D

chanchao <deleted> ! :o