Leaving the car in Thailand for 6 months.

sirineou

54 minutes ago, grin said:

I have kept a car in the US on a trickle charger over a year and had no problems. I haven't seen it posted in this thread but I always fill up the gas tank in order to reduce the amount of air and thus reduce condensation in the gas tank. If storing the car for longer than 3 months maybe consider adding some fuel stabilizer to the gas.

Thank you

That is a good idea that I had not thought of. I will make sure to fill it up, 

I have not seen Sta-bil here in Thailand, (also a good idea) I will look for it. 

Question: I will have someone come start and move it a little every few weeks, Do you think it would be a good idea starting it with fuel stabilizer? 

Edited by sirineou

10 hours ago, sirineou said:

Thank you

That is a good idea that I had not thought of. I will make sure to fill it up, 

I have not seen Sta-bil here in Thailand, (also a good idea) I will look for it. 

Question: I will have someone come start and move it a little every few weeks, Do you think it would be a good idea starting it with fuel stabilizer? 

I haven't seen Sta-Bil locally either but they seem to have a bunch of additives on the shelves here, but not sure about stabilizers. I've just never paid that much attention. It is definitely not a problem to start the engine after adding a stabilizer. Not only that but you want to run the engine for a few minutes after adding it to distribute it throughout the fuel system. Note that I had no problem driving my car that sat for a year with Sta-Bil added to the gas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, grin said:

I haven't seen Sta-Bil locally either but they seem to have a bunch of additives on the shelves here, but not sure about stabilizers. I've just never paid that much attention. It is definitely not a problem to start the engine after adding a stabilizer. Not only that but you want to run the engine for a few minutes after adding it to distribute it throughout the fuel system. Note that I had no problem driving my car that sat for a year with Sta-Bil added to the gas.

I found this in Lazada, That I think is also a fuel stabilizer. . I then found the identical item on Amazon where I can post a question, and indeed someone had already sked the question and the answer was positive. 

So I ordered it .

image.png.264c47f7943f98386cdc48f6fc906d04.png

image.png.0ea87a5700dd8827bb0d701c1a1243b8.png

Left a Honda city , for 12 months, outside at a condo.

over inflated tyres a little.

Filled fuel tank right up to the brim, discounted battery.

Come back battery connected , started first time, every thing worked fine.

Don't over think it.

• Thanks 1

I would not let anyone start it. It will do much more harm than good.

I would not worry about the tires. I've done is a number of times without issue. This was a an issue years ago with older synthetic rubber compounds. That said, I think airing them up as someone else mentioned is a good idea.

I would either use a good battery tender/maintainer or unhook the battery. If you don't trust what you can find here order one from Amazon. If you're going to turn off your power, buy one that has it's own solar panel.

I would not use a fuel stabilizer, but I would burn up all the gasohol that's in it and fill it to the top with pure benzene/gasoline if you can get it. The less alcohol, and the less air in the tank, the better. 

A cover is good ONLY if it fits very well and if the car is parked on the lee side of the house such that it gets no wind. A strong wind will have the cover buffeting the car's finish. 

Sock over the tail-pipe. 

Close your vents.

Put all the stuff waiting to fall against it away.

I would back it in as close to the wall as I could get it, less Sun, wind and rain

You heard about the Greek that was crying when he won a scholarship at Oxford...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

You heard about the Greek that was crying when he won a scholarship at Oxford...

Was it from happiness or despair LOL

Seriously Oxford is a very good educational institution . Aside from a good education , two very important components for success are access and proximity to successful people.

I have been told that the biggest benefited to an Ivy league education are the relationships and contacts you develop while there, 

And on that respect tears from happiness are warranted IMO , After a couple of winters there they might change to the later part. CryingFromHappinessGIF.gif.42f1fdce0d7b1c3eb1fd09412eaec463.gif

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Was it from happiness or despair LOL

Seriously Oxford is a very good educational institution . Aside from a good education , two very important components for success are access and proximity to successful people.

I have been told that the biggest benefited to an Ivy league education are the relationships and contacts you develop while there, 

And on that respect tears from happiness are warranted IMO , After a couple of winters there they might change to the later part. CryingFromHappinessGIF.gif.42f1fdce0d7b1c3eb1fd09412eaec463.gif

Despair. He didn't want to leave his friend's behind....

• Like 1