UK Spouse Pensions

Currently I am in receipt of four pensions from the UK including my Army and Government Pensions. I know that there will be no entitlement for my wife to receive anything from my Government Pension but she is entitled to a pension from the other three upon my demise.

My question is can she receive the Pensions from the UK, which are all taxed at source, without having a UK National Insurance Number?

The first thing to address is ensure she is named as beneficiary in your ‘Statement of wishes’ with each of your pensions.

National Insurance is not (currently) payable on pension incomes so NO number is not an issue.

The UK tax office will issue her with a ‘Tax ID number’ and a ‘Tax Code’ if and when she is in receipt of your pensions.

It is also a good idea to provide your wife with contact details, account numbers etc for all pensions AND if you can set it up with a trusted friend or family member in the UK who can help her navigate claiming her pension rights when you are gone.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, fredscats said:

Govt pension...not entirely true.   Im on one  provider states marriage /civil arrangement OK,  need 7 days for both in UK for civil to take place,asking if Thai marriage will be enough ,as yet no answer   citizens advice good start   

I was here in Thailand when my  Thai wife was entitled to a percentage of my UK pension and serveral other benefits on my demise as a official certificate of marriage in Thailand is recognized by the UK gov.

Now some years on UK pensions and entitlements for Thai wives has been discontinued.

Private pensions and other type of pensions can help Thai wives if arranged by the husband.

On 3/11/2022 at 9:43 AM, JamesH said:

My question is can she receive the Pensions from the UK, which are all taxed at source, without having a UK National Insurance Number?

I would say yes of course you just have to arrange it with your pensions providers.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 4/29/2022 at 2:20 PM, Kwasaki said:

I was here in Thailand when my  Thai wife was entitled to a percentage of my UK pension and serveral other benefits on my demise as a official certificate of marriage in Thailand is recognized by the UK gov.

Now some years on UK pensions and entitlements for Thai wives has been discontinued.

Private pensions and other type of pensions can help Thai wives if arranged by the husband.

Since 2015 there is no widows pension as like so many other things ie frozen state pensioner an issue ONY 77 YEARS old

• Thumbs Up 1